Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 bodywork in CA?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
griffo181982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: 356 bodywork in CA? Reply with quote

Hey
im looking to purchase a 356 and interested to find out who people recommmend to do body work? Ideally in the LA area but keen to speak to a few shops to see there costs.
any pointers woudl be great
thx
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 bodywork in CA? Reply with quote

Hello and WELCOME.
Look to TLG Porsche in North Hollywood, on Raymer St. TLG stands for Tony and Louise Gerace. Very friendly folks. Might want to look up Galen Beiker at Werks II, on Chestnut St, Burbank, Ca. His focuss is race car prep, but many of the cars need body/paint, so he may be able to point you in the right direction. TRE Motorsports is another highly recommended shop on Strathern St, Van Nuys, Ca.
The Pelican Parts website used to list a local sat morning coffee cruise over in Palos Verdes area. Might be worth checking out and chat with some folks there.
Hope this helps, Bill.
griffo181982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 bodywork in CA? Reply with quote

Great thanks bull for the quick response. I will check those place out. I had a look at the pelican parts site but couldnt find anything about a meet in palos verdes...any other clues?

thanks
mark
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 bodywork in CA? Reply with quote

Have you chosen a 356, is it just a little rusty. If it is your going to be in for a really big surprise if you want it to be rust free. We could be of more help to you with more details on cars you might be looking at...
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 bodywork in CA? Reply with quote

What is your budget and what is your expectation of the end result? Concours, nice driver? Also, what shape is your current car in? Rust free (LOL), some rust, lotsa cancer? This will have a huge affect on your project. There are so many quality body/paint folks out here that the above criteria will guide you to your final choices. Please let us know.
griffo181982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: 356 bodywork in CA? Reply with quote

Hello guys

thanks for your help

Yes ive been looking at 356's for about 5 years.....watching them increase annoying in value while i ahve been restoring a very cancerous 59' splitscreen. I ahve just completed a 4500 mile trip to morocco in the van which was great but feel that the time is coming to be a 356 owner! I want a 356a as i like the early lines of the car and also here in the uk pre 60 is MOT free.

the projects ive been looking at are pretty rusted out (you know the score see classifieds) im not scared of a big project so i guess i would want a car that would be fully restored.....having said that if i could find one that was in better condition this would be preferable for the correct money!

I know that if i go for a shell it is likely to be a long project which will cost dearly, altho quite how much i would be looking at for body work woudl be interesting to know.....say for floor pans and ususal cancer repairs. If i source in the US i think it woudl be wise to get some of the work done there as there are so many more shops than here in the UK.

Any more help woudl be greatly appreciated!
thanks
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 356 bodywork in CA? Reply with quote

griffo181982,
So you don't have a car yet? Unless you plan on doing a lot of the work yourself it might be better to shell out the money up front and get a restored car to begin with.
griffo181982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 356 bodywork in CA? Reply with quote

yes your right, before i buy the car i want to be clear.....im not shy of big projects mind. Yes i plan to do alot of the work myself....If i had the time i would do all of it myself but at present business means i have no time, hence why i think its worth gettin some done by others.....chiefly get the panelwork done right
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 bodywork in CA? Reply with quote

OK, fair enough. I would still buy the best car I could and if you are looking in Sothern California/Arizona, you have a decent chance of finding a car that's not too far gone. I would put John Willhoit at the top of the list but he is for concours level restorations. After that there are a lot of shops out here. Whoever you choose, make sure that 356 bodywork is a primary source of their business. A lot of folks think they can work on these cars and the results show it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: