Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

porkey wrote:
My 2ltr T IV
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WOW, great engine right there. Love the Throttle cables and the DTM shroud. My FAT performance shroud was a little tricky on the throttle also, but no problem for a buggy guy like we have on this message board.

I just sold my last T4 case and parts that were in the shed, and now I am feeling a little regret.

T
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

I think a mildly tuned Type 4 motor in a buggy would be great. Best of all, you can leave the stock cooling in place and save some $$$. If you want to be different and stand out, shave all the unnecessary tabs, threaded holes, etc off the stock cooling system and then paint, polish (!!!) or powdercoat it.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

Lo Cash John wrote:
I think a mildly tuned Type 4 motor in a buggy would be great. Best of all, you can leave the stock cooling in place and save some $$$. If you want to be different and stand out, shave all the unnecessary tabs, threaded holes, etc off the stock cooling system and then paint, polish (!!!) or powdercoat it.

Example... Jeff's T4-powered buggy, with cleaned up shroud & over-the-top header & muffler.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1711722

bnc
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

Another plus of the stock cooling is, it's easy to use a GM alternator. They're CHEAP, available everywhere and put out lots of power.

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manx Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Lo Cash John wrote:

Example... Jeff's T4-powered buggy, with cleaned up shroud & over-the-top header & muffler.

bnc

hey do you have a pic of that ?
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

Home brew exhaust I cobbled together from bits and pieces. I have $60 inI this set up. Made from cut down factory heater boxes, 1/2in primary 4->1 collector, a 1-3/4in quiet pack exhaust tube bend, small triangle exhaust flange, and a swivel stinger. Also have a baffle welded to a 3x5 supertrapp spark arrester to fit the stinger.

Just goes to show what is possible with a little resourcefulness. A Type 4 exhaust can be had without breaking the bank.

just need to pop a couple dents in the primary tubing and get the the raw steel parts blasted and high temp coated black. Stinger is in good shape so I will just leave that chrome.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

Very cool!!!!

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

Duguda Duguda wrote:
didget69 wrote:
Lo Cash John wrote:

bnc

hey do you have a pic of that ?

I'll check to see if I have any saved photos -

bnc
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Home brew exhaust I cobbled together from bits and pieces. I have $60 inI this set up. Made from cut down factory heater boxes, 1/2in primary 4->1 collector, a 1-3/4in quiet pack exhaust tube bend, small triangle exhaust flange, and a swivel stinger. Also have a baffle welded to a 3x5 supertrapp spark arrester to fit the stinger.

Just goes to show what is possible with a little resourcefulness. A Type 4 exhaust can be had without breaking the bank.

just need to pop a couple dents in the primary tubing and get the the raw steel parts blasted and high temp coated black. Stinger is in good shape so I will just leave that chrome.

COOL..............not to poop in your Post Toasties or anything, but the number three and four tubes need to be swapped. Otherwise, I have great respect for header builders.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
Vanapplebomb wrote:

COOL..............not to poop in your Post Toasties or anything, but the number three and four tubes need to be swapped. Otherwise, I have great respect for header builders.

Swapping 3-4 pipes won't make enough difference to notice on a stockish T4....

bnc
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

Eating Post Toasties? I don't know what motor these are going on. It will make it sound "tuned".

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

Won't make much difference because it has such a short lead in typical of large flange collectors...but you are correct, ideally they would dump consecutively in a circlular patern and not a figure 8. I can't complain though. I only payed 20 bucks for that part anyways. It was in rough shape, but the tubing is still solid. I think I can pop the dents out. I should say that this isn't a true equal length header either. There is about 10 inches difference between the shortest and longest primary. This is due to the use of factory heater box cores. It's close enough and really won't make a noticeable difference on a stock to mild engine.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

1800 EC code long block built from parts. The only mechanical difference between 1700 and 1800 411/412/914 long blocks and the bus long blocks were the pistons, and thus the compression. 411/412/914 engines had either flat tops, doamed tops, or small dishes on the piston crowns. Type 4 engines later adapted to busses were de-tuned significantly by using pistons with big honking dishes on the crowns to lower compression a generous amount.

For the record, I am prejudice against 2.0 Type 4 engines for a number of reasons. Mainly the crankshafts and heads...both the 914 2.0 introduced in '73 and the detuned version adapted for busses three years later...same problems. Cranks flex more and heads crack easier, similar to Type 1 engines.

As mentioned, this is an EC 1800 long block. Originally fuel injected and about 76hp. This one has slightly higher compression than the EC originally had. That said, I had '72 bus carbs and air cleaner on hand, so I rebuilt the carbs and slapped them on. Good carbs really, but the 26mm ventruis limit top end some. That's ok, the distributor has a 5400rpm cut off rotor. Top end really isn't a priority for a woods buggy anyways. Wink

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: