Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keller1044
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

I have a Porsche 914 1.7L engine that I am going to rebuild that was given to me for free from a Samba friend. I want to convert it to a 2.0 or 2.4 turbo engine. Any suggestions on if this is possible to go bigger? What is the consensus on making it a turbo with a larger piston set up? What suggestions would anyone offer for the best build with this engine?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

It will cost you about 3x to build a 2.0 Porsche than a 2.0 VW and in the end only difference you can claim is its a Porsche....

Do price comparison shopping for Porsche parts vs VW parts before committing to build...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

The 914 was only fitted with a slightly modified VW Type 4 motor though wasn't it? Nothing exotic, just a van engine really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keller1044
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

Can the 1.7 be converted to the 2.4L and would it be better than a 2.0 for the Manx I want to build? I am trying to do it without turbo at first they add a turbo later. I don't want something that won't be able to take the turbo.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

That's a lot of weight hanging out the back.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugtub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

Keller1044 wrote:
I have a Porsche 914 1.7L engine that I am going to rebuild that was given to me for free from a Samba friend. I want to convert it to a 2.0 or 2.4 turbo engine. Any suggestions on if this is possible to go bigger? What is the consensus on making it a turbo with a larger piston set up? What suggestions would anyone offer for the best build with this engine?

Best way would be to get a crank from a 2L van t25 this will give you the longer stroke it will go straight into your case
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

What is your budget?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

I wouldn't even bother with a T4 motor unless you are definitely going over 2.4L . The 1.7 you have is just a bus engine with a little bit more compression and a slightly larger cam. You can build a 2.0L T1 engine for next to nothing compared to the T4.

brad
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

Lot of advantages to the VW/Porsche engine. The low end is rock solid - you rarely hear of them requiring a line bore. The even have a superior oil cooler and a modern oil filter. Parts aren't expensive because of the Porsche name - it's because there just weren't that many built. Google Jake Raby and type4store.com.

So you have strong bottom end, the 1.7 heads can be opened up for bigger cylinders - a 2L crank will fit and increase the stroke. You'll need a bus flywheel and autostick starter that doesn't require bearing. Weight is not that much greater (30#) than a T1 plus the case on 99% are repairable aluminium. (The new T1 aluminum cases make them heavier that the T4).

Stock 1.7 914 has 76 hp and 2L has 106 hp - not a bad starting point for a free engine. You can keep the flat pancake configuration for convert it to upright like T1.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

...here we go again about T4 weight. Confused Laughing

bnc
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

With some fabrication, you can also convert a Type 4 to upright cooling using a Type 1 fan/shoud

http://www.nextgen-usa.com/

http://www.aircooledtech.com/type4_upright_conversion/

http://type4store.com/conversion-cooling-systems.html?mode=list

or 911

http://www.bergmannvw.net/

http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au/sharpbuilt1/page12.htm

Last edited by BL3Manx on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Keller1044
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

This is a year long project starting with the engine and working my way forward. At every stage I will post pics. My budget is whatever I want to make of it. I am looking to make a strong reliable engine with power. The Dune buggy weight with engine is going to be less than the 4seat Turbo RZR. My last one was under 1600 lbs. but the engine did not have the power I needed to keep up with my friends since it was stock 1600 dual sport. Sold it starting on new one.
Keller1044
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

The reason I am asking questions is I want to learn as much as I can about the whole dynamics of building the engine, putting my blood, sweat and tears into it for the buy in with me and my family. This is something I want to get my boys to help with and my family to enjoy. The experience in building it and making it is where the fun, anger, stress and heartaches (aka memories) are made.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

A 100 horse T4 engine will push you along plenty fast -

bnc
Keller1044
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

cool I just don't want it to be a slug.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

manxdavid wrote:
The 914 was only fitted with a slightly modified VW Type 4 motor though wasn't it? Nothing exotic, just a van engine really.

Van engines always followed a few years behind and were significantly de-tuned. Originally Nordhof had the T4 built for the 411 and 914 in 1968. Unfortunately the 914 was delayed a year after his passing due to poor relationships between Porsche and VWs new front man. The type 4 and 914 used identical 1.7 and 1.8 engines save for some minor details like breathers, external sheet metal, etc...nothing mechanically was different about them...both the 1.7 Djet and 1.8 Ljet equipped engines had the exact same performance between the 411/412 and 914. The engines later adapted for the busses had much lower compression due to the very large dish in the piston crowns and made less power.

Type 4 engines are awesome. I'm a big fan of the 1.7 and 1.8 based engines. The stock 66mm cranks are darn near indestructible. I don't care to much for any 2.0 engines...the 914 2.0, or the bus 2.0 that was introduced three years later. Cranks are not as beefy and the heads are more delicate than others.

Contrary to popular opinion, mild T4 engines are not that bad on the budget. Price of parts really isn't much different..., ok, mains are about 10-15 bucks more, but what the heck. I think the people claiming major price differences are confusing a mild build with a big 2.6+ engine...yeah, those are pricy...but you arnt going to build a comparable bug engine, that's for sure.

Stock 66mm cranks and rods can handle stupid amounts of power. A guy on STF built a turbo 2.2 with stock crank and rods that pushed 380hp for several years daily driven and racing. Eventually he upgraded some stuff and took it to over 400. So don't let anybody tell you you need expensive rods, etc. stock with new rod bolts will hold just about anything no problem as long as your not regularly pushing 7000rpm. Shocked

As for the top end, 1.7 and 1.8 heads both hold up pretty darn well. Engines from a 411/412 or 914 don't typically take much more than replacing valve guides, cutting seats, valves...and that's about it. They rarely crack and seats are not really a problem. 2.0 heads crack easier...kinda like dual port bug heads. The bus 2.0 heads were probably cooked pretty good and I would be suspicious of any 2.0 bus head, so issued to stay clear of those than fiddle with them. SI Valves makes good stainless stock replacement valves. I recommend them.

Measure to be sure, but bearing cuts in the cases are almost always good to go. There are more issues with 2.0 cases because of the way the cranks were made...they flex more and can beat things up when pushed hard. Check the oil pickup tube hanger boss. If some idiot cranked down on that bolt without using a torque wrench they could have broken it.

One more important thing most people don't realize who haven't worked on T4 engines... T4 engines are actually simpler and more convenient to build and service than a T1. Don't let the bulkiness scare you. Once you tear into it you will see what I mean. Lots of little improvements that make life easier. No joke.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

I run a 1.7 from a 914 in my"Streetrail" No Problems. On nice thing about the 1.7's is the Porsche guys just about give them away. They all build 2.0 instead.
DWP
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

I will shed some of my thoughts on the Type 4, and 1.7 version from 914. My 66 Standard Microbus had one converted to upright using the FAT performance fiberglass shroud and 911 11 blade fan/alternator.

I loved the larger 215mm flywheel. My 71 engine had factory pop up pistons with higher compression and 86 HP from the factory. This sucker pulled all day long, no hesitation, smooth and reliable. Drove from Tampa to LA for the Classic in 1997 and I was the only VW that did not break down on the drive, including one guy in a new Dodge Van!

Push Rod Tubes pull right out of the head, lifters can be swapped on the car, Valve Cover Bail's are super thick and sturdy and never leak. Front Pulley Sand Seal, Oil Filter, nearly 4 Quarts of oil fit in the sucker.

Exhaust was expensive, and the upright kit was too, after that it was killer.
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

...and when trying to package the pancake-fan-cooled T4 into a fiberglass bodied buggy so that the exhaust exits through the 'license plate area', you can play with cool exhaust system packaging. Laughing

Rough draft:

bnc
porkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 1.7 liter for buggy Reply with quote

My 2ltr T IV
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: