Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California SB 1239
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

the way I read that it seems that the program isn't very "voluntary" to me...unless I have misunderstood something

Sounds about right. Except I totally missed my source; the article that's from was dated 1996! Damn internet archives, haha! So it's completely moot; the program doesn't exist anymore. It was a one year pilot...

Hypothetically speaking, because I like math and driving the convertible 360 days a year here, consider this: There are 481 total entry ramps on the 5, the 405, the 101, and the 10 in the affected counties. (These are just the four largest of our 61 freeways.) So a few thousand on-ramps is likely. The unmarked vans making these checks routinely rotated to allow random sampling. If someone drove four different on-ramps every day, they would have a .4% chance of encountering one of these. If they were a commuter and they used the same ramps every day, their chance would go down significantly more.

I suppose an easy way around them would be only to use on-ramps that have two lanes. They're plentiful in Southern California, and the sniffer/camera setup can't handle two cars at once......

Quote:

going to roll coal on a allis chalmers now Razz

As much as I hate being behind those trucks, I do laugh every time I hear that phrase. It's perfect. Laughing And your tractor isn't embeddding diesel particulate into my fresh wax, so more power too you. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrismredsox1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

SB 1239 was approved by the CA Senate yesterday by a vote of 39-0. In the form in which it passed, 1976-81 model year vehicles will be smog check exempt only if they are insured as collector vehicles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

here is what the senate said on the floor. In fact the way I read it, 1975 and earlier cars may now have to submit to a sniffer test. It is the visual part of the test that is waived.
Quote:
2) Defines a “collector motor vehicle” as a motor vehicle owned by a collector that is used primarily in shows, parades, charitable functions, and historical exhibitions for display, maintenance, and preservation, and is not used primarily for transportation.
3) Provides a partial smog check exemption for some collector vehicles. Specifically, if the vehicle is at least 35 years old, and the owner can demonstrate that the vehicle is insured as a collector vehicle, then the vehicle is exempt from the visual and functional inspection of emission controls. However, the vehicle must still pass a functional inspection of the fuel cap, a visual inspection for liquid fuel leaks, and a tailpipe test.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

After reading the bill, I got more confused. After reading the most recent floor bill analysis, I got quote hopeful:

Quote:
This bill expands the pre-MY 1976 exemption to all MY 1976-81 collector vehicles. By doing so, this bill makes all MY 1976-81 collector cars — which are currently subject to partial smog check — fully exempt.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billAnalysisClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB1239

Also, we need to understand that the bill MIGHT NOT HAVE PASSED YET. The information chrismredsox1 posted yesterday is odd; the vote on 6/2 was too reconsider the bill, and it was unanimous. The bill was read in its current form on 6/1/16 and refused in a near 50/50 split. Again, the unanimous vote was only to reconsider the bill, perhaps pending additional amending and/or further studies.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

Here's the bad news, straight from a California senator that emailed me about SB 1239...

Thank you for your message regarding Senate Bill 1239 by Senator Ted Gaines. I appreciate hearing from you.

SB 1239 would have expanded the smog check exemption for pre-1976 model year vehicles to include any vehicles manufactured between 1976 and 1981, if the owner can provide proof that the vehicle is insured as a collector car.

As you may know, SB 1239 failed to pass the Senate on June 2. It received only 18 “aye” votes, three votes short of a majority. With the exception of one senator who was out ill, all the senators who opposed or did not vote for the bill are Democrats.

I supported SB 1239 on three separate occasions. I voted for it as a member of the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee on April 19, as a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee on May 27 and finally on the Senate Floor on June 2. SB 1239 simply recognizes that most pre-1981 vehicles constitute a very small portion of the overall vehicle population and are well-maintained and infrequently driven. I wholeheartedly agree that it is wrong for the state to continue to scapegoat these vehicles and their owners as a reason for California’s air quality issues.

I believe SB 1239 provides a fair and environmentally sensitive pathway for the “older car” hobbyists to pursue their hobby and should have been approved. If Senator Gaines reintroduces the measure again, it will have my strong support.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance on other state matters in the 36th Senate District (Orange and San Diego counties).

Sincerely,

PATRICIA C. BATES

Senator, 36th District

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

06/02/16 Ordered to inactive file.
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

Such BS. Any word if similar laws are being introduced in 2017? Would love for my 78 to be part of the exempt crowd...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: