Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California SB 1239
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

California SB 1239 was introduced 2/18/2016. If it passes without modification, and is also approved by the Assembly, and the Governor signs it, it will move the smog year from 1976 to 1981. Anything made prior to 1980 would be exempt from testing However if a remote sensor picks up the vehicle and it gets pulled over, and has been tampered with it would be subject to the same penalties as any other car tampered with. The same wording was introduced in 2012 and failed.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

call me stupid, but what kind of remote sensor would "pick it up"?

are you saying it would be subject to a roadside test?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

In California:

There has been (REMOTE) sensing since around 1990 mostly on freeway
off-ramps and they test the emission's as you exit. and record your
vehicle for those emission's you are producing. Cool

Nothing new for us but, this is going to be regulatory in the future and really
will help all of us in our GREAT STATE.

On the other hand, We still need to Stop all the state of California employees from spending countless hours online during their working
hours...........Does this sound familiar sgk? Embarassed
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

Roadside inspections have always been voluntary. Results are given to the driver, and data is primarily used to gauge effectiveness of smog checks, not to substitute for them.

Quote:
There are no consequences to consumers, regardless of their vehicle's emission control equipment or its emission levels.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/consumer/roadside_inspection_program.html

I really don't think they can issue citations or penalties on the spot. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with a checkpoint? (If I see one I will gladly drive my bus through. As long as they don't drive it……)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

And you thought CT was tough...

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

Stanagon wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

And you thought CT was tough...

we have no such program for old cars...

25 and older are exempt, so a 1991 isn't tested and as the years go by, so will 1992, 1993, 1994 etc...

what is a pain is getting the monitors to complete for OBD2 testing. something as simple as a thermostat being lazy can prevent this.

honestly, CT is fairly easy compared to what I have read on the forums here.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

Quote:
I really don't think they can issue citations or penalties on the spot. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with a checkpoint?

I was guided into one, i didnt know I could decline. I didnt pass. No citation, but ever since my truck has had to get "smogged" every year instead of every other year.
I know why it doesn't pass. My catalytic converters were stolen right off the truck in my work parking lot. New OEM cats were close to $700. I opted for much less expensive replacements and the truck never passed a smog test since.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
California SB 1239 was introduced 2/18/2016. If it passes without modification, and is also approved by the Assembly, and the Governor signs it, it will move the smog year from 1976 to 1981. Anything made prior to 1980 would be exempt from testing However if a remote sensor picks up the vehicle and it gets pulled over, and has been tampered with it would be subject to the same penalties as any other car tampered with. The same wording was introduced in 2012 and failed.

It didn't pass last time due to issues from the Central Vally being polluted by the SF Bay Area.
And too be honest we don't want this to pass,
GM, Chrysler, Ford, and Toyota made too much crap in the late 70's early 80's.
If these POS polluting piles of trash get back on the road, we'll all regret it.
PS
VW and VWoA wasn't worried about remote sensors, I wouldn't worry about them.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

It didn't pass last time due to issues from the Central Vally being polluted by the SF Bay Area.
And too be honest we don't want this to pass,
GM, Chrysler, Ford, and Toyota made too much crap in the late 70's early 80's.
If these POS polluting piles of trash get back on the road, we'll all regret it.
PS
VW and VWoA wasn't worried about remote sensors, I wouldn't worry about them.

Just remember, someone out there is saying the same thing about our beloved VW's.

If they DO get back on the roads, they will likely be back on the roads because of enthusiast like us and likely won't drive them too much either so, I don't see your point.

That same argument you are making is being used against us and our classics daily to try and get US off the roads.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

I disagree.
Go to your local Walmart and walk around the parking lot and see what shit normal folks actually drive.
Yes it would be nice to not have to Smog my '78,
but not worth it with dregs of the Malaise Era in the mix.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

In Ct one rarely sees any craptastical 70's and 80's cars on the road. It is a benefit from all the salt DOT uses.
doc hopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

I was waved into a roadside inspection by the Highway Patrol (they like a particular stretch of road about a mile from my house).

The officer, who was younger than my VW, asked what year it was, and when told it was a 1966, he just waved me on my way.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa2016CA2&...n=LegAlert

Above is the link to the SEMA website that has the information on how to contact the 11 Senators on the Transportation Committee that will be voting on SB1239.

Please take time to contact each one of them and urge support for SB1239.

thank you!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

that they failed you for a copper pipe that made things work better is a perfect example of what I refer to. If you had painted it with black rubberized paint they never would have wondered about it.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

Please take the 20 seconds to support this legislation by sending an email to the members of the senate committee listed in the link. Then send an email to your own Senator in case the bill makes it that far.

http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa2016CA2&...n=LegAlert
(sold - but not forgotten)
John Rice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

Gents:

FYI: California DOES do remote sensing. The only difference from what was stated earlier is that they do it using the on ramps, so you are on the power! Three guesses how this affects your readings.

These are high tech wonders and also record your license plate. I believe they are fixed in place and would love to see a listing of where they are, as well as anyone who is aware of favorite places for the roadside inspections. Be aware on these roadside inspections that the hand outs they supply to the CHP officers does NOT include the word voluntary on them! Some of the CHPs aren't even aware that it is voluntary. I keep a copy of the original document [you can find all this on the BAR website but it is buried] mostly because I hate the deception and sometimes overbearing attitudes.

Drive Safei
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

Welcome to the future boys.
*kchh* Dispatch, I've got a vw bug gettin on the fwy. Looks non smog exempt.*kchh* *kchh* Gonna felony stop him, send backup..*kchh*.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

John Rice wrote:
Gents:

FYI: California DOES do remote sensing. The only difference from what was stated earlier is that they do it using the on ramps, so you are on the power! Three guesses how this affects your readings.

These are high tech wonders and also record your license plate. I believe they are fixed in place and would love to see a listing of where they are, as well as anyone who is aware of favorite places for the roadside inspections. Be aware on these roadside inspections that the hand outs they supply to the CHP officers does NOT include the word voluntary on them! Some of the CHPs aren't even aware that it is voluntary. I keep a copy of the original document [you can find all this on the BAR website but it is buried] mostly because I hate the deception and sometimes overbearing attitudes.

Drive Safei

Could you scan it and make it an img or pdf and uploaded to the gallery here? I'm sure we all would want to do as you and keep a copy of it too! Confused
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

John Rice wrote:

Drive Safe

Hmm, you got a few points there, but there are a lot of wild exaggerations in your post to scare people into joining your line of thought.

The South Coast Air Quality Management District is instigating a fleet of equipment that WILL measure tailpipe emissions AND record your license plate number. If you are thought to be a gross polluter, you will be ASKED to join a VOLUNTARY program via mailed letter. Here are some details parsed from a private smog help site:

Quote:
(1) An infrared beam shot across the highway picks up the contents of a car's exhaust. A calibrator and computer on the other side of the road screen and measure the emissions.
(2) At the same time, a camera snaps a picture of the vehicle's license plate. The state uses that information to find and notify the vehicle's owner if emissions are too high.
(3) Vehicle owners are mailed a letter asking them to participate in a voluntary vehicle repair program.

And more from the LA Times:

Quote:
After three letters, the owner must go to a special inspection station and prove that mandatory improvements have been made.
The remote sensors are still being tested and won't be fully operational until next fall. At this point, the state is rotating three sensors among freeways in the Los Angeles area, including Ventura County. Every car that drives by them gets photographed, regardless of its emissions. But nobody is being cited for contributing to the area's ongoing smog problem.
No, you will not get pulled out of your car, handcuffed and sent to the Twin Towers for spewing out too much crud. But you will get a polite letter in the mail, suggesting you volunteer for a program that will pay for up to $500 in emission system control repairs or $1,000 to take your vehicle off the road permanently.

The program began in March and so far 2,000 letters have been sent out, resulting in a couple hundred vehicles being repaired and a few dozen scrapped.

After a few hours of searching there is NOT ONE person on any message board on any website or Google search that can prove that they have a letter or response. All bark and no bite. Everyone has stories. Nobody has proof.

Proof is in the pictures.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: California SB 1239 Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Quote:

(3) Vehicle owners are mailed a letter asking them to participate in a voluntary vehicle repair program.

And more from the LA Times:

Quote:
After three letters, the owner must go to a special inspection station and prove that mandatory improvements have been made.

Robbie

the way I read that it seems that the program isn't very "voluntary" to me...unless I have misunderstood something

going to roll coal on a allis chalmers now Razz

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: