Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cruising Route 66
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Took the old 74 bug out for a ride today along Route 66. Relaxing this enables me to clear my mind, stopped at a few of the old tourist sites. The meadow gold sign was an original fixture and is neon. The Desert Inn dates from 50s and the blue whale although newer 70s gets people from all over the world, most recently American pickers. Logged about 60 miles total its good to get it out and drive it. Instead of hiding a VW let folks see it. Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. Route 66 is on my bucket list.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
Thanks for posting. Route 66 is on my bucket list.

I've done it, it's a fun trip if you take your time.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Yup - great memories for me and my daughter taking Route 66 back from California when we bought the 71 SB in May 2012!

Story in my signature line below vvvvvvv
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

So here we are on another quiet Sunday afternoon good weather but cold. Lower 40s I decided to do more Route 66 looks loo driving wound up driving about 125 miles in a round robin trek back home. Car runs better now than when I started definitely good to use these old cars on a regular basis.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Next to last photo is original Route 66 bridge, no longer used except as a photo op. Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Good cruising speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Last week I took the bug out for a spin and covered just over 125 miles and I took no pictures. Today I headed out and began by looking at where a tornado had caused some damage last Thursday. I then headed north up into Osage Indian territory through a small town called Skiatook, from there onto Avant and Barnsdall. These names mean nothing to you but its Indian land and some of it original tall grass prairie. Heading North to Wooloroc, that's a wild game preserve established by Frank Phillips founder of Phillips 66. I crossed through areas where thousands of acres are burning as wild fires, some of the pics I took show wild mustangs and buffalo. If you look close at the horizon you can see smoke from the fires. From there continued on to Phil Tower this is an Art Deco designed and conceived for Phillips 66 by Frank Lloyd Wright. The green trim on the building is actually weatherd copper, look closely. So then I went South back towards town but cut off at a place calld Collinsville and proceeded to Claremore where we picked up Route 66. Once there it's a short ride down to the blue whale and then home. Today we covered 151 miles and that 74 bug runs great . Last pic is me at home looking out the back window.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Saturday I drove about 75 miles to a place called Siloam Springs Arkansas to take in VW car show. More of a local thing it ran officially from 10 til 2 and it was an all VWs show but I saw mostly air cooled. I started out about 830 weather was clear, temps low 70s perfect VW weather. Probably logged over 150 plus miles round trip but I got back before 12 and then went to an automotive swap meet 30 miles west of here. Ya I drive a lot. I also scored some nice VW parts at the swap meet. This is my starting mileage

Here's cruising speed

Here's a short burst I usually drive between 60-65 mph
Here's the car show in Arkansas

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Here's the old yellow bug my wife calls skittles, its great a has been trouble free since I basically rebuilt all the mechanicals 2 years ago.

Oh here's me beating on the car look at that speed.

Here's some pop outs I scored for 5 bucks. Who says the deals ain't there any more.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Today I went out to a flea market took the old 74 bug then headed up north by the airport. Looked at a few points of interest that's just two miles off Route 66 the first is a reinforced concrete bunker built at the during the Cold War by J. Paul Getty solid walls and a lower structure capable of withstanding bomb blast. Most folks pass by not knowing what it is or it's historical significance.

Next I drove around to the air and space museum which you would think would be quiet on a Sunday morning, think again the joint was jumping.

Next we are looking at a Boeing 747 which will never fly again. It spent its life flying back and forth from the United States to Europe and was owned by Lufthansa. Now it's being canibilized for parts they rest will be scrapped.

A few miles down the road is the International petroleum exposition building which when it was built was the largest free standing structure in the world. That giant man in the foreground is the golden driller, he's been standing there since 1966.

I ended my travels less than a mile from the mother road at another VW icon the spider. The spider has been there since the 70s and sits outside a pest control business. I'm thinking its days are numbered as its in a crappy part of town. I like to get out and drive this VW as you can see.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

It's very good to see you driving your Beetle everywhere! I'm jealous. And you've got some great places to visit in the Bug!
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

In about a month I will deviate off course and drive down to Florida. I'll be sure to take picks. We only got as far as the back yard today.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Temps about mid to high 90s people talking about hot and overheated bugs. But I took this one out for a cruise and a wash about forty plus miles and it ran cool enough I could hold the dip stick without burning my hand. That suicide knob is a cheap form of power steering, works for me.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Summer is over temps are again more moderate. I took the bug out today after doing a minor repair, shift coupler fell apart after 42 years. I had a new one ready to install even on a Sunday afternoon. Took it out for about forty miles and really beat it, but no complaints

There's something relaxing about driving this car or any VW for that matter. I can't explain it but its cheap medicine so I'm going to keep doing it.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

what state is the blue whale in?? I remember traveling route 66 as a kid and that whale was there then.... instant memory when I saw that pic..

I agree these cars were made to drive and they do it well and for a very long time, when some people comment about how they had a bug or vw way back then with nothing but problems my reply is if you would do simple maintenance every 3-6k miles it would run like a toyota..
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
if you would do simple maintenance every 3-6k miles it would run like a toyota..

Agreed!

Awesome pictures. Driving Route 66 in my '66 is a bucket list item for me.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
what state is the blue whale in?? I remember traveling route 66 as a kid and that whale was there then.... instant memory when I saw that pic.

The Blue Whale is located right outside Catoosa Oklahoma. It was built in the early 70s as a gift from a man to his wife. Everybody knows women love stuff like this right? Somehow it persevered and slowly became an icon along the highway. It's been restored and is kept up nicely now as it receives visitors from all over the world. Paul McCartney drove the mother road wearing sun glasses and a hat driving a ford explorer several years ago. Many of the old roadside attractions are still visible.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Good day to drive a VW. Up around sunrise grabbed a big coffee washed the car and off for a cruise. Outside temps low 40s, the aircooled engine runs supreme in this weather.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising Route 66 Reply with quote

Well we are still cruising Route 66

Beginning mileage

The road has changed course over the years

Only one of these roadside motels is still in operation and as the ones closed fall into disrepair they are razed and lost forever

Here's me on the way home and I just love driving this car hard or is it these things take a lot of abuse Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: