Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First gen New Beetle question...
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: First gen New Beetle question... Reply with quote

My daughter is wanting a New Beetle and she likes the 1st generation version over the sportier one. I am wondering what any common issues there are for these and for what year models. Are there any model years that were better than others that may have lesser problems/more reliable?

Thank you, in advance.
Karmannut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: First gen New Beetle question... Reply with quote

A really good place to look for anything New Beetle is newbeetle.org
Air and Water do mix!
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: First gen New Beetle question... Reply with quote

If your talking about gasoline powered, I hear that the early coils were a problem but that would seem to be a cheap fix if they hadn't been changed already...... Old VW automatic transmissions don't have the best reputations either.........Diesel with a manual will run forever if the oil is changed according to manufacturer specifications.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
72camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: First gen New Beetle question... Reply with quote

Karmannut wrote:
A really good place to look for anything New Beetle is newbeetle.org

Thanks for the tip. Had no idea about a forum for this.

Old n' slow wrote:
If your talking about gasoline powered, I hear that the early coils were a problem but that would seem to be a cheap fix if they hadn't been changed already...... Old VW automatic transmissions don't have the best reputations either.........Diesel with a manual will run forever if the oil is changed according to manufacturer specifications.

I think I have heard about that. That is a concern as it will probably be automatic. Did this issue get resolved later on?

Thanks!
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: First gen New Beetle question... Reply with quote

Those first gen cars had the same issues the Golf and Jetta's had of the same years. Oil burning 2.0L motors, sometimes spotty electrical, and interior pieces that didn't age well. Other things like waterpumps and bad MAF's "should" be problems of the past.
stewardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: First gen New Beetle question... Reply with quote

I had a first gen NB GLS TDI. It was, without a doubt, the worst car I've ever owned. The NB is built in Mexico and, in those early days, the quality control was nonexistent. Multiple lighting, window and other electrical failures. The motor blew up at 110,000km. It was just plain and simple CRAP.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: