Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remember when?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I always called them a Toyota pious,

Hahjahahahahahaha!, Bam!, nailed my thoughts exactly!, I like the car and the concept (look not so much), it's those who choose to drive them as a statement I'm not so fond of most of the time.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

I have to say, I don't hate the Prius or hybrids in general. I just have to laugh at the "Pious" label. It is all too often a perfect fit.

To be fair, my neighbors have a relatively new Prius. They love it, and it serves them well. If they made something similar in a small pickup with a seven foot bed a 1500 pound payload (like my 87 Hilux), I might be interested.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I always called them a Toyota pious, their drivers always seemed to have a holier-than-thou attitude, no offense ZF. I did see a brand new pious (I think) on a test drive & that is one ugly, squinty eyed little bastard. That new marai looks like Toyota engineers were trying to make it look like darth vaders helmet.

I'd have to agree the new ones look like total crap. Odd thing the general public said same things about the beetle in the early 50s. Hard to believe but this technology is already 20 yrs old. Replacement batteries are now in the 500 and less range now, embrace technology. Very Happy
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

And the family vacation? (Not really a vacation for us, we went to the farm in Tennessee to work). When you get in the car, you better be a little on the dehydrated side because Dad wasn't going to stop and let you use the bathroom.

So remember when you didn't stop at "nice" gas stations so the women could use the bathroom and the kids could get snacks?

I'm not saying its all bad now but I remember when that wasn't the case.

If it was a real long trip (4 hours or more), we would stop at the rest areas on the interstate for the bathroom and to get a drink of water.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

^ Ha.. sounds bout right..

We had to piss in a glass Donald Duck orange juice bottle... Mom just held it.. Laughing

Only real stops we had were around fueling ... we knew we were screwed when Pop sold the Pontiac Wagon in the early 80's and bought a Nissan Sentra Diesel...

Freaking thing made its own fuel.. Laughing Eh?

Summer months mainly for me (when younger) was riding shotgun in our family's 2 rigs.. then driving as I aged... . lots of fuel, lots of miles....= lots of Donald Duck bottles..

Try steering and shifting a rig at 60 pulling 50k or more and ya junk laid out in a bottle..

That shit aint funny..

Laughing

Well now it is..

FWIW... Wide mouth bottles work the best Laughing

Just dont forget which one you've used.. Eh? Sick

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

In the mid-70's, Grandma, Mom and my 2 sisters crossed the country in Grandma's early 70' Chrysler tank. Mom's solution to not having to stop every hour for the sisters to pee was to have a bucket in the back seat. The girls would pee in it as I covered my head in a blanket.. Thankfully, they would stop if the girls had to take a deuce.

To this day.. I HHAATTEE the sound of a woman peeing.. Sick Thanks Mom

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Let's not forget to mention that those road trips didn't involve A/C, in the car or half of the stops. I got to enjoy a trip from Houston Texas to somewhere in Pennsylvania in a flat black '67 beetle. No hotels/motels on that trip, they removed the passenger seat so one could drive & the other could sleep. I got 1/2 of the rear seat to share with the sheepdog.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Remember when conversations didn't revolve around bodily functions? Or religion,politics,the handicapped, sexual preferences,etc. water finds its own level. Very Happy what about the lint in your navel? Do you save ear wax? Finger nail clippings? Hmmmmmmm.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Speaking of Houston & water level, I remember when houses & schools are in Houston were built on piers & people realized that it was a low area without good drainage. It always flooded. In fact, lots of areas have "high water level" signs. That should be a sign that one should heed as a warning not to live there.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Remember when conversations didn't revolve around bodily functions?.

This ones for you then.. Laughing

wcfvw69 wrote:

Noteworthy advice.. for all..

Buy a pack of "TravelJohn"'s ..enjoy the silence...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For those.. who have a problem..

A Stadium Pal Laughing

Dont put it on your clutch leg...

skoosh skooosh.. skooooshh. Laughing

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Let's not forget to mention that those road trips didn't involve A/C, in the car or half of the stops. I got to enjoy a trip from Houston Texas to somewhere in Pennsylvania in a flat black '67 beetle. No hotels/motels on that trip, they removed the passenger seat so one could drive & the other could sleep. I got 1/2 of the rear seat to share with the sheepdog.

lucky.

my travel when i was 5-6 years old was in the back of a Subaru Loyal with the two parents chain smoking in the front.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Remember when conversations didn't revolve around bodily functions?.

This ones for you then.. Laughing

wcfvw69 wrote:

Noteworthy advice.. for all..

Buy a pack of "TravelJohn"'s ..enjoy the silence...

For those.. who have a problem..

A Stadium Pal Laughing

Dont put it on your clutch leg...

skoosh skooosh.. skooooshh. Laughing

remindes me of the piddle packs in the fighter days of the usaf...I reckon they still use them, I wonder if the name has changed?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

My dad was a flight instructor after WWII. (SNJ for Marines, aka T6 Texan). The young pilots were nervous and would believe anything he told them.

The 2-seat trainers had a funnel and hose for longer missions. My dad told the green pilot in the front seat that it was the intercom, and he should speak directly into the funnel when he needs to talk to his rear.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Remember when pranks were harmless. Like the time I told the new guy to pick up 10 feet of fallopian tubing at the plastics store where I knew the counter person was a girl. Laughing

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
Remember when pranks were harmless. Like the time I told the new guy to pick up 10 feet of fallopian tubing at the plastics store where I knew the counter person was a girl. Laughing

On construction sites, it's always fun to send the FNG to the hardware store for a caulk sucker.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Or in Boy Scouts when you sent the Tenderfoot out for a left-handed smoke shifter.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Ha, we did that one 4 years ago. Times have changed, another youth group in the campground made him one and he brought it back to camp. Then we had to show him how to use it Shocked
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

We used to send guys after the light bulb recharger for the film projector in school.

and... I used that bulb recharger method of diversion in the shop about a week ago....

Good way to get rid of an idiot for about an hour...

and ...who here hasn't went to the parts house and asked for a radiator or coolant pump for 63 Vw Beetle.??

Think
Hell even the term coolant pump still gives the parts counter person a nice tilt.. Eh?

Its a daily goal for me....to find another way to make em squirm.. and learn. love it..

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

when i was in scouts, we sent a guy to get us some dehydrated water..

other scouts laughed at him so hard, he took off into the woods and we spent half a day finding him

good thing he had that dehydrated water with him to keep him alive!!
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Similar Navy pranks. Send a new boot camp to engine room for some relative bearing grease, or to the Iternal communications "IC" shop for SOUND powered phone batteries. Or when far from home in a remote part of the world the CO would set a mail buoy watch. put all the way up at the pointy end of the ship dressed in full regalia with sound powered phone head set, the dorky helmet that goes with 'em, big binoculars and life jackets. They'd be out there for hours 'til they either caught on or the CO had mercy on them.

http://api.ning.com/files/AnaPSTaQbcWurVmUoiY8T5AU...watch1.jpg

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Page 39 of 43

Jump to: