Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remember when?
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Remember when? Reply with quote

As I was stopped at a light, I realized that the new Honda Civic in front of me was larger than the Ford Taurus next to it. Remember when the Taurus was substantially bigger than the accord which was bigger than the civic? Hell, I remember when an ACVW was bigger than a civic.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Remember when a civic from the 80s got better fuel economy than their current hybrid technology?

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

I remember when my 1970 rear engine water cooled Renault R-10 got 40 + with a carb Shocked
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

I had a 78 Datsun B210 that got 40+ mpg highway with a carb also. Five speed stick rear drive, that car was fun to drive.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

My 84 Accord 4 door was smaller than my 2001 Civic.

My 2003 Accord is larger than my 1999 Accord which is larger than my 84 Accord.

My 2001 Civic still gets 39mpg on the highway even though it has 255,000 miles on it. 15 years later they haven't improved it enough.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

All of the imports are guilty of it, I half expect the next generation of Subaru Foresters to be the size of a suburban.

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

With cheap gas prices Americans are buying big car again. US Auto sales the last few months have proven Americans love big car.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

My RHD '67 Austin Mini panel 998cc would get 40+ mpg loaded down with documents,blue prints etc to be microfilmed + the 'fun factor'. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
I remember when my 1970 rear engine water cooled Renault R-10 got 40 + with a carb Shocked

Me too, but I also remember the rust was so bad I had to junk it before it was 10 years old. Not everything was better back then.

Fun car though.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Remember when you didn't have a cell phone attached to your person 24/7? When you could go away for the weekend and actually be AWAY?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

This thread reminds me of the angry old man skit on Saturday Night Live.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Remember when the kid was both the TV remote & the antenna adjuster?

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

I remember when I could remember...I think Shocked but nowdays I dont think so good as I recall.....so...does anybody remember what this was about? I miss the good old days...I think Ill go back some time for a visit...if I could only remember the address. Wink I want my car back too!!!!
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
Remember when you didn't have a cell phone attached to your person 24/7? When you could go away for the weekend and actually be AWAY?

That's still me. I have a rotary phone from the 40s attached to my wall 24/7.
The ring is so loud I can almost hear it when I'm away for the weekend! Laughing

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

I walked into a Subaru dealer back in 2010 to help my dad pick up some parts. The new Outback on the showroom floor was HUGE! I could not grasp the reasoning behind it. Fuel prices were quite high then, and the window sticker claimed shitty fuel economy compared to any of my current old cars.

We are looking for a replacement for my wife's 95 Legacy wagon. It will likely be a slightly newer Impreza, which is similar in size to the old Legacy. I will not have one of those giant things in my driveway. Stupid.

The same thing has happened with trucks. Nobody offers a "small" truck in the US market, and the full size trucks are absolutely huge. I drive a 77 Chevy heavy half with a big flatbed and lumber rack that is owned by my boss. Parked next to a newer offering from the big three, it looks almost diminutive.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I walked into a Subaru dealer back in 2010 to help my dad pick up some parts. The new Outback on the showroom floor was HUGE! I could not grasp the reasoning behind it. Fuel prices were quite high then, and the window sticker claimed shitty fuel economy compared to any of my current old cars.

We are looking for a replacement for my wife's 95 Legacy wagon. It will likely be a slightly newer Impreza, which is similar in size to the old Legacy. I will not have one of those giant things in my driveway. Stupid.

The same thing has happened with trucks. Nobody offers a "small" truck in the US market, and the full size trucks are absolutely huge. I drive a 77 Chevy heavy half with a big flatbed and lumber rack that is owned by my boss. Parked next to a newer offering from the big three, it looks almost diminutive.
Problem with subaru is not just the size, its the price as well...

My dad used to buy Subaru Loyal, which was the cheapest of the cheap, but was 4wd, and 4 door...

then we had as second car Justy(s). Best. Drift on Snow. Ever.

They dont make any of those anymore... when i look at their cheap car, its still wayy more than what other company offer. Sure its still 4wd, but its hard to justify spending 5000$ more for that and shitty fuel economy...
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Not just the US market. I'm trying to find a replacement for my 1 owner '96 Tacoma 4x4. The new ones are huge in comparison. I think it's all the safety & electrical equipment. They have to put it somewhere. The Ol' Lady has an '07 Tacoma and I hate it. "A" pillars are massive with huge blind spots. Just too big. A Toyota 4x4 should have a tiny little back window, and 2 sticks on the floor.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:

That's still me. I have a rotary phone from the 40s attached to my wall 24/7.
The ring is so loud I can almost hear it when I'm away for the weekend! Laughing

Wow. I still have our old rotary phone in the attic and I showed it to my kids. They were baffled as to how to us it, and they couldn't grasp the "party line" idea either. 4 houses on 1 phone line back then. Try doing that today.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Not just the US market. I'm trying to find a replacement for my 1 owner '96 Tacoma 4x4. The new ones are huge in comparison. I think it's all the safety & electrical equipment. They have to put it somewhere. The Ol' Lady has an '07 Tacoma and I hate it. "A" pillars are massive with huge blind spots. Just too big. A Toyota 4x4 should have a tiny little back window, and 2 sticks on the floor.

Yeah, I guess I should have said the "domestic market" or something like that. There still seem to be small truck offerings in other parts of the world, just not North America.

I understand the need to fulfill EPA and crash test requirements, but at what point do consumers actually get what they want?

I guess I'll keep driving my rusty 87 2wd Toyota with 244K. Nothing safe about it. Just like my buses.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
I still have our old rotary phone in the attic

I have one in my basement and it is still hooked up and working Laughing

and those who feel tethered to their cell phones. It is your choice so quit whining Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 43

Jump to: