Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Screwing around with my new bender.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I would be nervous about the angle on that top tube.

BTW what are you going to on the car with that tube? The fenders on mine come down farther and I had a heck of a time getting just the right angle to hit a tube receiver at the top shock bolt. The tube is flattened on one end and a hole drilled through where it goes onto the shock bolt.

I mention the top tube for several reasons:
1. A horizontal tube that attaches to the vehicle is going to be able to take more force.
2. If you don't keep all four points where the bumper slides onto the car on the same plane, it makes sliding it on and off a real pain in the arse. I knew this going into my rear bumper I built last year but it still came out off just enough to make reinstallation an PIA. Wink
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

In hind sight I would just flatten that top tube where it runs behind the shock tower and drill a hole there and skip the receiving tube all together. I'd have to remove the top shock bolt everytime but that might be better than what I had to do when I wanted to pull my engine this spring.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

The angle on the top tube is a little extreme but it's what the customer wanted. He wanted a taller cage without attatching to the fire wall. It's mostly for looks.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

how are you attaching? I'm just curious. I see the bottom.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

Top is attached at the shock mounts. Smushed plate dudes are welded to cage.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

More fun and games.

enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

Totally forgot to post the finished high angle bumper.

enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

Got my new 1" die today. Made some tail light mounts.
Bends look like they'll do just fine for some roof rack work.

enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
for what it's worth:

looking at

and

and Rotopax

and this

makes me wonder what a clever lad with a tubing bender could come up with if he applied his talents to side rails as storage spots

Absolutely, were planning on running the mojave road in sept. Building racks and fuel storage is a must. We have four cars going that need racks so we'll be busy for a few weekends here pretty soon.
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

Very nice job Bro! Like you, I've been contemplating purchasing one for about 4 years now myself... I don't have other jobs to do to make money for materials, or to pay for the bender itself, but, I still want to get one so I don't have to pay someone else's mortgage to have my cage, bumpers, side bars & roof rack made... Rolling Eyes

Looking Really good though! I think I'm going to purchase, but, I would need at least 2 size dies & they are what cost money! Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

66 Shorty wrote:
Very nice job Bro! Like you, I've been contemplating purchasing one for about 4 years now myself... I don't have other jobs to do to make money for materials, or to pay for the bender itself, but, I still want to get one so I don't have to pay someone else's mortgage to have my cage, bumpers, side bars & roof rack made... Rolling Eyes

Looking Really good though! I think I'm going to purchase, but, I would need at least 2 size dies & they are what cost money! Rolling Eyes

Yeah ,it's a pretty big chunk of change upfront but as with all tools you will not lose money with the investment. I'm lucky I have a few buds that need some tube work. I say go for it. You'll be tripping over bumpers and racks in no time!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

Here is one for you. My chassis builder hard at work.
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

I think I just talked my buddy into going in on one with me. He's building a jeep cherokee xj. He wants to build a full cage for inside his jeep. I want to build a cage for dune buggy, and also bumpers, engine cage and side bars for the baja. And possibly a cage for the baja if all goes well. (And I can afford it... which I doubt lol)

That is quite the chassis! Wow! Is that for a rock crawler?

I think I'm going to actually purchase the jd squared with a 1 inch die. And hopefully, he'll buy a 1.5 x 4.5 (that should be good for a cage right? ) but idk if I should get a 3 inch or 4 inch radius on the 1 inch die. Both will be 180 degree dies though.

I'm sorry for kinda highjacking this post for a minute!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

1.5 x 5.5 would be much better than 1.5 x 4.5. The larger radius makes a stronger bend and is easier to bend as well. It's still not a large radius bend. I have a 1.5 x 5.5 for my JD2.

This is what the bends look like at the top of the A pillar in my Baja Bug:

Ohhh...The XJ, because of it's weight, should have a cage made of 1.75 x .120 for the primary tubes...4 uprights around the driver's compartment, halo above, rear braces down to the back, and diagonal behind the driver. Other tubes can be smaller. I've seen a play Cherokee with a cage made of 1.5 that the cage collapsed in a 20-25mph roll over off the side of a graded fire road. Not even real offroading or going fast. If there had been someone in the right front seat, they would have been in SERIOUS trouble. The roof was down to the window sill and the dash. The Cherokee weighs about 2x what my Baja weighs.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.

Last edited by dustymojave on Sat May 21, 2016 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

That looks perfect. Why would I want bigger if that's the perfect radius? Idk I'm all new to this cage stuff... lol!

Well it looks like more stuff for me to learn... glad my buddy offered to teach me how to tig weld and then leave it here for me to practice with!
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

66 Shorty wrote:
That looks perfect. Why would I want bigger if that's the perfect radius? Idk I'm all new to this cage stuff... lol!

Well it looks like more stuff for me to learn... glad my buddy offered to teach me how to tig weld and then leave it here for me to practice with!

Wish I had a buddy that would leave me a tig welder... Lol all my friends a delinquents. Laughing sounds like your on the way to planet awesome!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

66 Shorty wrote:

Oops!

I read your post and was wondering ...WTF is he talking about "why would I want bigger?" ... So I re-read my post and saw a mistype. Had to read it 3x before my brain caught on to the error. My brain knew what was supposed to be there and auto-corrected, even though my eyes could see it... I went back and corrected it. I have a 1.5" x 5.5" radius die set. The bends shown in the picture of the cage in my Baja were bent with a 5.5" radius die.
Derrrrr... Embarassed Embarassed

I edited it so it now reads correctly. Rolling Eyes
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

Laughing ok that makes sense to me now.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

I think now they are called mega trucks. Real popular in the midwest and south. Think 15 year old monster truck with rice @ cane tires. This one now has a 900 hp alky swilling 427 mounted in the bed sitting on 67's.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwing around with my new bender. Reply with quote

New beer and firewood holder. Stole the clamp idea from surf's blue 11 car her on the samba.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: