Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

There is still a long ways to go for autonomous vehicles. There is a ton of infrastructure that needs to be put in place. NHTSA needs to bless the produce. lawyers need to figure out who is at fault in an accident - driver, other driver, manufacturer, software provider, hardware provider or was it the smart roadway?

There might be actual autonomous vehicles ready to go but lawyers and regulators will be the big hold ups.

They can't even automate the railways...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Hope that car doesn't get a virus.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
Hope that car doesn't get a virus.

Sorry.. but if it starts with autonomous taxi's and mobile brothel potential there will be an abundance of viruses and STD's spread.

The average person would need a full body condom just to open the door let alone ride in those..
Think Of course.. the same advice can be applied to current non autonomous public transportation.

You would think they should have some type of Surgeon Generals warnings on them by now..

Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:
it's not the general public.

What's the general public opinion have to do with much of anything any more Wink

Good point. Sounds like my boss. He wants everyone's opinion, but being the control freak that he is, still goes against everyone and does it his way. It's not a good idea unless it's his idea.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
ach60 wrote:
Lori Piestewa & Jessica Lynch would have liked a self driving car.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Lynch
DARPA Grand Challenge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARPA_Grand_Challenge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARPA_Grand_Challenge_%282005%29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARPA_Grand_Challenge_%282007%29

Are you really trying to say that all these companies are investing millions into autonomous cars for the DARPA Challenge?

No, just trying to show some history.
The question was "who asked for a self driving car?"
I believe DARPA made the challenge, and the challenge was answered in 2005 & 2007.
Clearly industrial interest have now taken over for financial gain.
There are a lot of "driving" jobs that could change radically in the next 10 to 20 years.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:

The question was "who asked for a self driving car?"

Yes, I did ask that question and the more I think about it the more confused I get. For instance, today I was talking with 2 coworkers, Jeff(47) and Chris(27). Chris had never heard of a self driving car. Jeff heard about it but was under the impression it was all Sci Fi stuff. I then showed them a YouTube video of a driverless car. Chris said that nobody will want one b/c they will obey the speed limit and not be fast enough. Both guys were amazed at first at the technology, but then at the same time they both said, "Why would anyone want one of these?" Good question.

Step back a minute and think about business. In order for a business to spend millions on R&D on a new and revolutionary product, such as a driverless car, there has to be something on the other end to benefit the business. Either there is a desire/need for the product by the public, or the business is being coerced by someone. Somehow and someway the business has to benefit from the new product. Now ask yourself this, why are ALL car manufacturers building these cars when the public is not asking for them? I can understand a company like Google or Garmin experimenting with making a driverless car b/c that is a neat little toy specifically related to their line of business, but why is every car maker building them when there is no outcry for them? If you owned a business would you spend millions creating a product nobody was asking for? What am I missing?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
What am I missing?

A pat on the back and a chubby envelope from a lobbyist in Washington. Wink Confused

Nothing cleans up the planet and saves lives like having the robot drive carefully at the speed limit, who's going to be first on the global hero bandwagon?

Manufacturers may just be spying on each other and trying to stay in the game, or perhaps rumors say that it's going to be the law one day and you'd better have a product ready to sell to the masses.

I'm scared........... Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

FOMO. Fear Of Missing Out. None of the automakers wants to have their business disrupted, so they need to invest in it. They are redefining their business as "transportation services" instead of "making cars".

Uber is awesome, and it is a "transportation service". If you've ever used it, you may be friendly with the driver, but he is just a means to an end. You don't really pay much attention to how fast he is driving, as long as he's not being crazy. That's probably where it will show up first; summon an Uber car, and it just happens to not have a human driver.

We may not like it, but we are dinosaurs. Millennials are a different species, and many of them view driving as a chore they are happy to outsource.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

In my local paper today was a report the Uber will start using autonomous cars in Pittsburgh.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
In my local paper today was a report the Uber will start using autonomous cars in Pittsburgh.

That'll be hilarious, I'd like to see how autonomous cars deal with the potholes in places like Pittsburgh & DC.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Google, Audi, and Freightliner are testing self driving cars in Nevada.
I agree with "who wants this?"
The only one that makes any sense to me is Freightliner, and
after reading the site below I was more uncomfortable, because of the image I got in my head about something called "platooning" where a truck on "self drive mode" would simply tag on to another truck and follow it down the road at a distance of 25 feet in order to drop aerodynamic drag.
The automated trucks doing this don't scare me, it's the idiots in the cars on the interstates that can't pass a single truck, having to deal with 3, 4 or six of these trucks in a row.
http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/4-things-that-yo...ion-truck/
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/197262-its-2015-self-driving-cars-are-more-than-a-promise
Also http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/12/8592639/self-driving-truck-daimler-freightliner
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Wow. That's the first time I've seen or heard anything about big rigs being autonomous and I worked around big rigs for many years and still have contacts with folks dealing with big rigs.

I drove race cars for 20+ years and to me driving is fun and pleasurable so I can't understand why someone wants to surrender that. To me having an autonomous car is the same as riding a bus or taxi. Neutral I have a T-shirt with a VW bus on it and it says, "It's the journey not the destination". Maybe I am in the minority and people see driving as a chore and are willing to give it up.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

like anything, people will vote with their wallets...

in the beginning it will be very cost prohibitive, and folks won't spring for it. as far as big rigs...I can see that (kind of) as there won't be mandatory breaks fro the drivers.

what I do see is the rig getting hacked and stolen/hijacked...which I suppose is better than a driver getting murdered....

the issue becomes who will be able to afford the repairs on this stuff? knowing what I know now, 1 "module" (radio) can take down the network so your windows/hvac loose functionality.

a Volvo reman radio is around 1K, plus labor and programming....bringing that repair to an ez 1,300....so the real question is who will be able to afford this crap?

electronics just can't handle the temperature swings....see that a lot here in New England, plus "green death" on terminal pins....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

electronics just can't handle the temperature swings....see that a lot here in New England, plus "green death" on terminal pins....

Yep.. We have temp swings sometimes of 40 degrees in a day..
It used to be just the carbon cracking off causing a "knock" that was mistaken for a "blowd moter" Rolling Eyes
Now.. .its modules that just say .. fuck this...and quit.

Green death.. hahaha.. is abundant..
Not to mention "fretting"
Lube up...

Autonomous cars will probably be wireless to avoid wiring issues... Laughing
Im out.. wireless is voodoo magic..

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

seems a hacker has pissed off tesla

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hacker-claims-tesla-downgraded-model-143039860.html

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

i'm just getting around the idea to buy an all electric car when ours is due to be replaced (around 2020)...

i'm not ready yet for self driving... its a cool idea tho.

"Siri, i'm too drunk to drive, get me home"
"Yes sir".

sound good.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

hmm ...my bug is self driving, I just got back from intown trip where I was driving it MY SELF. wtf whoo is driving everybody elses car? Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

"Siri, i'm too drunk to drive, get me home"
"Yes sir".

sound good.

"sir, tomtom is being an asshole and wont give me directions, please say a command"

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Ill just waiting and saving for the public Iron Man like suit instead.
Jarvis home please..

Usually and often edited
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars will be “here” by 2020! Reply with quote

Ford’s latest patent, which calls for putting a projector-based home theater setup inside a car.
http://time.com/4251416/ford-driverless-car-projector/?xid=time_socialflow_facebook
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: