Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First aircooled 65 single cab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Just self tapping screws and felt pads to keep the panels from rattling. Get some type of pads that will not hold water and cause rust problems on the panels and tank.

Big design flaw of the SCs is that the fuel door leaks water and rusts out the tank floor. Will be welding in some rain gutters below those doors and a pipe down out under each of our trucks to divert that mess....
Check out how a normal bus has a drain at the door opening to help prevent water going thru the engine compartment.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Big design flaw of the SCs is that the fuel door leaks water and rusts out the tank floor. Will be welding in some rain gutters below those doors and a pipe down out under each of our trucks to divert that mess....
Check out how a normal bus has a drain at the door opening to help prevent water going thru the engine compartment.

I suspect it's the same situation for DCs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:

Thank you for the reminder, I had a few things I wanted to tackle this weekend and that slipped my mind. Also, it looks like the fuel compartment separation panels were just held in with self tapping screws or coarse thread screws, can anyone confirm that? No speed nuts or anything?

I'm sure it's on OACDP somewhere, but they should be held in with bolts or set screws (M5 or M6, can't remember which).

The threaded holes that they screw in to are worn on mine and they were a pain to fit, so I've ended up threading the set screws through from the inside of the fuel tank compartment to the out (treasure chest). They act like studs now . I slide the separation panels over the 'studs' and use wingnuts and washers to secure them in place. Not standard, but it saves time and aggravation when I have to take the panels off. No excuse not to check for rust or fuel leaks from time to time.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Nice SC. I'm a bit jealous though since I've been looking for a decent SC in these parts for a few years...I wish I knew your great uncle. Smile
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:

Probably, just have yet to get elbow deep into a DC.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Just self tapping screws and felt pads to keep the panels from rattling. Get some type of pads that will not hold water and cause rust problems on the panels and tank.

I will do the perimeter of the panels too at some point.

I'm guessing someone was trying to combat the leaking in the gas tank area with the tar backed plastic material I've been pulling out. Unfortunately it's had the opposite effect as it seems to have trapped moisture in there and rusted the floor under the tank. There are a bunch of pin holes and one spot that is through, maybe about 3in square. Otherwise the rest of the treasure chest is super dry and solid. Boo hoo I know but it's sad to see someone's well intentioned fix have the opposite result.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Hokie87 wrote:
Nice SC. I'm a bit jealous though since I've been looking for a decent SC in these parts for a few years...I wish I knew your great uncle. Smile

Yeah this one kind of fell in my lap, I always had a soft spot for the pickups. Used to see a blue double cab pickup that sat back off the road a little in Aldie VA right off RT50. This was maybe 20 years ago but I always used to look for that unmistakeable front end poking out from its garage/ tomb when I passed through there, I still look for it when I pass through there even though I know it's long gone. Random thought that popped into my head.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Yeah, metric coarse threaded sheet metal screws, no machine threaded screws.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Try to save all your originals. There are also strips of felt used along the perimeter of those two panels (a roll bought at your local Home Depot will do the trick). You might see remnants of the old strips on your covers.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Yeah, metric coarse threaded sheet metal screws, no machine threaded screws.

That's what I had on mine when I got it, but was missing several so I double-checked the parts manual on OACDP...

It says M6 x 12 hex head bolts. I tried some M6 set screws and they threaded straight in to a couple of holes, so I used them.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
peecee69 wrote:

My '63 15-Window and '61 Double Cab.
15-Window has a drain hole, Double Cab does not

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Since I'm dead in the water with the exhaust and carb situation I decided to get a better look at the nose under the front interior panels.

Drivers side looks ok, a few holes for someone's slide hammer but looks ok. Solid metal all the way down to the valence so that's a plus.

Passenger side is a bit of a mess, holes everywhere with bondo squirting through, sort of caved in along the V body line.

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

I decided to do my part in saving planet earth and got a "green" graffiti remover. I started on an area that already had some OG velvet green poking through but this particular brand literally did nothing. I think I got more paint off rubbing on it with a dry paper towel than this stuff.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
I decided to do my part in saving planet earth and got a "green" graffiti remover. I started on an area that already had some OG velvet green poking through but this particular brand literally did nothing. I think I got more paint off rubbing on it with a dry paper towel than this stuff.

at least you did not harm the environment! Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
peecee69 wrote:

My 15-Window and Double Cab.
15-Window has a drain hole, Double cab does not

Our 1963 DC has the drain hole
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

I'll have to check mine for the drain hole.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
peecee69 wrote:

My 15-Window and Double Cab.
15-Window has a drain hole, Double cab does not

Our 1963 DC has the drain hole

Ok, I edited my post above to say '61 Double Cab to be more complete
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

Picked this up tonight from a friendly samba member...

So I can remove this heinous thing

And if my carb rebuild kit ever shows up along with my muffler I will install all of these wonderful things.

So in the meantime I removed this fan contraption from the dash (I'll probably regret this when its 102 out but whatever, just look at that OG dash)

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:

That heinous thing is a pretty rare correct "lefty" elbow. Not correct for '65 but worth getting to someone that needs it or saved.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
ryans65 wrote:

That heinous thing is a pretty rare correct "lefty" elbow. Not correct for '65 but worth getting to someone that needs it or saved.

I was referring more to the green wire that is holding the air cleaner up. The one I am pulling out will definitely be put in the classifieds. Thanks for the heads up.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled 65 single cab Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
BarryL wrote:
ryans65 wrote:

I was referring more to the green wire that is holding the air cleaner up. The one I am pulling out will definitely be put in the classifieds. Thanks for the heads up.

It's a 40hp air cleaner - they are all lefty.

The hard to find one is the lefty carburetor piece for the new air cleaner you have - that is late 63-64 1500cc only.

63 lefty style

64-67 righty style

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 24

Jump to: