Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Forum search on the site and Feb. 2016 update
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Forum search on the site and Feb. 2016 update Reply with quote

As some of you know, the Forums search of the site has been overloading the site from time to time for a while.

On Feb. 14, 2016 I made a big change to how it works.
Unfortunately this does not appear to have helped.

For now I have had to turn off the search and redirect people to a Google Search of the site I set up that will search the Forums only.

This search is accessed via the normal Forums -> Search menu items at the top of the site.

I hope to re-enable the internal Forums search in the future but I have no target date on when that will be possible.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum search on the site and Feb. 2016 update Reply with quote

Do we use normal Samba Forum syntax for the search terms, or standard google syntax?
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum search on the site and Feb. 2016 update Reply with quote

Sorry to hear the search update didn't fix the server loading problem. I've been experiencing a lot of long delays and timeouts while browsing the website lately, even just a few minutes ago.

Since we're using Google to search for now, is there a way to tell google to limit itself to within a single sub-forum?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum search on the site and Feb. 2016 update Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Do we use normal Samba Forum syntax for the search terms, or standard google syntax?

You can use any Google syntax in the Google search box since it's a Google search
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum search on the site and Feb. 2016 update Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
Sorry to hear the search update didn't fix the server loading problem. I've been experiencing a lot of long delays and timeouts while browsing the website lately, even just a few minutes ago.

Since we're using Google to search for now, is there a way to tell google to limit itself to within a single sub-forum?

I think it will help if you add "Bay Window" or Vanagon to the search terms.

I tried some searches with "Split Bus" added and it seemed to work.

Example search: oil filter Vanagon
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum search on the site and Feb. 2016 update Reply with quote

Much faster!

sucks about the search... do things like [brackets] and -exclude work? doesn't look like it but maybe I'm doing it wrong, it's been a while

for instance timing a 009 for a type 3. I tried 009 [Type 3] but it brings up 13000 posts, type 1, type 2, etc
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum search on the site and Feb. 2016 update Reply with quote

Boolean search parameters work using the Google search... They actually make searches for specific info much easier.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/Boolean_search.html

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum search on the site and Feb. 2016 update Reply with quote

You can use quotes around a string of title characters that only applies to the forum you want to search in.

"Split Bus - View Topic" fuel sender

"Bay Window Bus - View Topic" fuel sender

"Vanagon - View Topic" fuel sender

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Forum search on the site and Feb. 2016 update Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
You can use quotes around a string of title characters that only applies to the forum you want to search in.

"Split Bus - View Topic" fuel sender

"Bay Window Bus - View Topic" fuel sender

"Vanagon - View Topic" fuel sender

thats awesome advice - thanks

searching fpr "Type 3 - View Topic" 009 brings up the correct topics and leaves out all of the other junk types Wink
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Forum search on the site and Feb. 2016 update Reply with quote

Regarding the comments above:
I made it so if you are searching from within a specific Forum it appends the Forum name and View Topic to help.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Forum search on the site and Feb. 2016 update Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Regarding the comments above:
I made it so if you are searching from within a specific Forum it appends the Forum name and View Topic to help.

Thanks for doing that, makes it much more useful.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum search on the site and Feb. 2016 update Reply with quote

Just wanted to say I am working on this and have come up with a new design to use for the Forums search engine.

I changed the Gallery search to use this new format earlier today as a test before I work on doing the same change for the Forums.

If you are the kind of person that does Gallery searches for various terms, please let me know if you have any issues there.

There is a maximum of 5,000 items returned from a search with this new design but I don't think that is an issue.
I doubt anyone would search on something and look through 5,000 photos (or threads). Wink
If that happens to me I usually just scan through a few things and either select a specific category or add more search words to limit my search further.
(Hint, hint)

Update:
Locked as I started a new thread for the new Forums search:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=649220
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: