Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

I put the engine back in with a new pulley and new gland nut.
The heads have helicoiled intake studs, finding that out sucked.

It ran great for 5 mins, but the Flywheel is not straight so it worked itself loose and caused some oil leakage. The messed up dowel pins did not help.

I pulled the engine AGAIN and will need to split the whole thing to rebuild using a new crank and a new flywheel.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Finally got done with splitting the crankcase. In the meantime I bought a longblock for $100 but it turned out to be a 40HP single port, those have a different length crank and also don't use a oil seal in the flywheel.

Here you see the difference between the 40HP on the left and the 1600 on the right, this is the flywheel end, the 1600 has a longer step that goes into the flywheel and mates with the oil seal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Splitting the 1600 block, you may spot my type 4 longblock on the right, I have two of those.

Middle crank bearing (#2 ?) is heavily worn, same on the crank, it has a ton of ridges, most likely oil starvation. I don't think the case itself is damaged but I plan to send it off for inspection and if necessary align boring.

The main bearings are Kolbenschmidt (from Hamburg where I used to live), they are marked as U0,75 not sure if that means the crank side is ground or the case bored ?

The heads seem to have been worked on quite a bit, so many stamps

I bought a new Crank with rods and rod bearings. I think the case looks ok and the cam seems to have been ok too.

I have moved 4 times in the last 10 years and shlepped these porsche rims along with me, they were heavily corroded, I finally got them powder coated here in AZ by the inmates of florence prison. The results gave me some inspiration to get my butt in gear with the bug.

gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Measured the crank at main journal #2 and it is stock so it must be the saddle that is bored. Thrust looks to be stock 22mm.
Not sure that 0.75 was ever a standard for line boring, I only know of .5 and 1.0, anyhow I plan to take the case to "Competition Engineering" here in AZ to get it inspected.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

lots of movement in these few days.
- bought a tow bar, the empi one that sits under the front axle. it works great
- towed the beetle to a third party DMV and had them do a Level1 inspection, this basically verifies the VIN and that the car is in one piece, I didnt have the motor installed haha
- with the level1 I was able to start the Bonded title process, it was immediately approved as they could find no records of previous owners or such
- I got classic insurance so I do not have to go to emissions here in AZ, it has the usual classic car restrictions but I figure once I am able to pass emissions I can always change the insurance back to a normal one
- Once I buy the bond I can go and get the plates registered, I will be using a 1971 YOM Plate
- They had appraised the car at $18300 woot woot !!!
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

I am back on the 'case', turns out the actual case is not bored, so it is STD, and with the new STD crank my new bearings will fit fine.
The issue is the vendor of the crank package, Kokoparts, sent me the wrong rods, they are 5.325" but STD on a bug is 5.394" length. Debating whether to install them and say fsck it to CR and deck height or to send them back to swap for the 5.394 length.
My pistons and pins look visually ok so far, once I have the final Rods I will check the pin fit in the rods, heads will probably need a rebuild as one of the studs is loose and I am not sure if the heads have helicoils or "head" savers.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

I had pondered trying to clean the case myself, I also have a 40HP in dirty state. In the end I found a great cheap blaster guy down the road called stripmyride.

I left the Oil Pressure springs and plugs in so as not to get too much blasting material into the galleys. Removed them after blasting using my new Knipex Pliers which I bought for the crankshaft gear spring clips.

Both the 40HP and the AS41 are magnesium Cases so it took me a long time to research the treatments which would work and not cause issues with the case. After double checking with the manufacturer I settled on Por15 MetalPrep as it is the least dangerous and easily available stuff.

The cases after treatment and washing off, the AS41 on the left still damp. Will try a little clear coat in an inconspicuous area tomorrow.

gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Well the cases dried out in the Arizona Heat and I painted them with POR15 Clear Rust Protection, they came out great, the 40HP is darker as the amount of magnesium/aluminum is different in those old cases.

I dropped the crank in with the new STD bearing for a Dry run to see if it was going to fit, it fit nicely, right amount of spin when torqued up.

GAHHH, rod bearings, GRRRR, these silverline ones are a bad fit, the way they stamp the tangs on the rod bearings means that they do not fit into the rods properly, notice the small concave on the side of the tang towards the middle of the bearing. I guess there is no point blaming Silverline, who knows what the standard for a tang width is.
In any case, I ground off a little on the outside to make them fit, and they did very nicely.

Crank fully built up and rods with nice amount of play and fall.

gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

WARNING: If you are using the Tom Wilson book "How to rebuild your volkswagen Engine" please IGNORE the section on how to install your distributor drive as it is wrong and you will end up having to remove it again to re-install it the right way, if you follow the book you will end up with the drive 90˚ from where it is supposed to be.

My case is together and the status is "shortblock" I guess. I am re-using my pistons and pins but got new Rings and pin circlips. I started to inspect my heads and apart from a few studs that are out I also found a whole bunch of cracks:

And also note the color of the exhaust valve above, it looks like it has been VERY hot at some point.

I am going to go ahead and order new heads if nobody has any concerns Smile.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Been away for a while, went for a three week Vacation in Germany where half my family is, rented a BMW 218 Active Tourer from Sixt and drove 2000miles from the north all the way to the swiss border.
Driving back to Frankfurt to catch the plane I found this clean frame just sitting next to the road at a gasstation.

Back at home, putting the engine back together, all stock and new parts so far, here I am prepping for the Oil Pump install.

Pump Installed, you can see the color the case came out after the blasting and POR15.

Putting the New Heads on, I reused the Jugs and Pistons as they were real good, just new Rings. When I put them on it looked like the Pushrod tubes were to long but I figured they compress and also the rubbers.

All torqued up and ready for rockers.

gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

I am getting the rear valance off as we speak.
[UPDATE] Here is the valance removed by drilling out the spot welds, the thing is bent and beaten in all ways, not by me mind. Not sure if I will be able to straighten it out a bit and use it as the removable, I ordered a new one too.

Left bumper mount is pushed in towards the center line of the car a bit (probably the bumper had a hit at some time) so the Engine Seal doesn't have good space.

Cleaned up the metal to see where the spot welds were and and removed that bent bumper bracket too, also ordered a new one of these even just so I know what the thing is supposed to look like before getting hit.

bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Nice work!

As to your question on disc brakes. Yes, the Euro models came wit discs. Not sure why the US versions did not.

BTW, you have a '72 engine lid not the '71. The '70 and '71 vert engine lids had 2 extra slots in the 7,7,7,7 configuration vs. the 7,6,6,7 config of the '72 and later lids.

Again, not sure why the slots were decreased.

Byas
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Thanks you are an eagle eye, the decklid must have been replaced by PO, it is orange underneath and resprayed Iberian Red. I might have a go at removing the red, Orange is may favorite color.

I have the engine in for fitting the panels, I started her up !
I get good compression and have oil pressure.
I had an issue with the Brosol 34pict3, it would not idle, the IDLE jet is messed up, you have to turn it out a few turns and then it idles properly. Lots of threads about that here on samba.

Panels should be here early next week so I will get back to it then.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Got my Mechanical Oil Pressure gauge working and installed up front under the dash, next to it the Electronic Oil temp Gauge (sadly my dipstick sender is broken).
Drove it on its first outing to the Jalapenos round the corner.

The wheels, 15*7 with 195/50 and 15*6 with 165/50.

Front disk brake kit going on for now, still got to redo all the bushings.

Motor in the car for now, with the removed Valance.

The 15*6 Cookie Cutters up front are so tight I had to grind off the thread that was sticking out of the Ball Joint.

Ready to Roll

Crumply Nosed Bug

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

I Know its a bit late now, but those heads are shot. Cracks between the valves are ok, anything around the spark plugs are junk. Also, those silverline rod bearings have been known to be junk and have issues.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

yep, I donated the cracked heads to Steve Hollingsworth from VW Performance. As you can see above I used new Big Valve 40 x 35.5 Heads from Carcraft for the engine build.

I had to fine tune the Silverline rod bearings, they do fit well now but I would use a different brand on the next rebuild I do.

I tried to do the rebuild on a reasonable budget just to get a daily driveable machine. I have two Type4 Longblocks that I will build something wild out of and spend the money I saved on parts for those.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Building the coilers from the Slammed 74 thread on here. I ran into a problem that was not discussed, the top of the spring cone does not seat nicely with the stock strut top.

You can see the length is going to be quite a bit shorter. No more sandbags in the trunk for me.

Here you can see the issue, I have to reuse at least the small plate from the stock strut, but even with the washer included the cone is going to wander around a bit.

gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Well regardless of the play at the top they went together great, here you can see after cutting that the sleeve slips on fine and even the retention ring from the EMPI strut fits under the sleeve to hold it in place, bonus.

All assembled, welded and ready to roll.

She is a driver at last.

I went to Tractor supply for the first time ever, cool store. I found some great clip rings that replace the pin in the rear deck lid for easy removal, here they are including SKU so you can do the same, $2,79 well spent.

Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Nice work! Did you have to ream the hole for the pin in the deck lid?
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

I did ream it a little using a drill that was the size of the pin, very little needed though.

While I was out taking those pics the engine started to idle real bad, had to give it gas at the lights. Caused me some frustration.
After sleeping it over I removed the idle jet on the right hand side of the 34pict3 and it had gunk in it, cleaned it out and she runs great again.

So yeah, if you have idle or running issues ALWAYS check your jets first !!!
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible Reply with quote

Had to replace the shifter bushing as it was rattling a lot when braking and decelerating. I did not make this hole, it was made by a previous owner and they didn't even weld it shut, they just stuck that piece of tar you see back over it. Not only that but who cuts a hole here ?, the only hole anyone might ever need is right by the pedals, not here at the shifter.

Started to clean up the windows and rubbers. Before and After.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: