Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

MR GAS wrote:
We might do a run with y'all again . Much fun last year Dancing Brown Vanagon

Awesome! I was hoping you guys would be able to make it again!
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
I just have to let you guys all know that I will not be making the trip. I will be on the Main Salmon during that time. I hope you guys all have fun and have great times. I'll catch you on another one. Maybe a winter trip somewhere CDollar?
Never been on the Main and it's a bucket list river

Bummer that you're going to miss this trip, but awesome deal with the Salmon trip! I agree on the winter trip idea... might be time for another Gila trip. Laura and I have been going down in the bus to the hot springs near Silver City the past two years, but those trips have been more soaking and relaxing than back road driving Very Happy
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I have a used 1600 I got at auction I will try, end of week at earliest..

How's the engine lottery treating you? Still sending the good vibes your way!

I think there are a lot of us in last minute repair mode. I know peaceful warrior is doing work on his synchro. We were up near Silverton yesterday and passed Bubba on his way up to KCW to get some work done. And my brakes have been giving me intermittent problems, so I ordered a new master cylinder today that I plan to install this weekend. Good times!!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

My bus is in the shop have the 1400 mile service done. As of now we are still planning to make the Friday night camp out. There's a slim chance I'll get Friday off, if so we will hopefully be at camp before dinner time. If I don't get the day off we'll be rolling in late, maybe 10ish. Stoked to see all you guys, bumed I'm not making the trip though.
’65 Deluxe Build
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

I have to pull out of this year. Before I spent too much time trying to get the head bolts sorted we made a trial camping run with the 18 month old and it something we'll need to work on with her.

So the head bolts will be able to wait for more time in my schedule and maybe another year and a couple more one night camping trips under our belts with the little one and we can make it next year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

No time to swap engines, I'm goin' for it with the clanker and a bottle of Lucas Goooo. WoooHoooo
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Sorry and bummed out to say, I think I am not going to make it.
I started a clutch job on the Syncro last week and everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. One of the new CV joints came apart after putting it on the axle, taping it together and while tapping the opposite side CV joint on.
Now, I can't get the one that came apart off the axle! (&(&&%&*&^()~!
Second problem, I thought the trans would come out easy and so far it has not. Why? Because, because, because you cannot do it by yourself. Of all of the Vanagon folks here who have any mechanical capability, those who have had me work on their Vanagons cannot give me an hour or two to help out.
There is a chance, but way closer then slim but not looking good at this point. Evil or Very Mad
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
No time to swap engines, I'm goin' for it with the clanker and a bottle of Lucas Goooo. WoooHoooo

Sweet! May the ACVW gods be on your side!

PeacefulWarrior, sorry to hear. If I was closer I would help!
’65 Deluxe Build
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

As much as I was hopeful to try to make this trip, it just isn't looking like it will be in the cards for me to have time to get there from Kansas next weekend. Sad

I just have way too much stuff to do at work this week to get ready for our camp next week.

If there is a similar trip planned for the fall or something, it would be more of a possibility.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Bummer, Not much gong on on the fall here but sitting around and waiting to go skiing. Laughing

I picked up my bus today from the shop, he's all ready. See you guys soon!
’65 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

You will be missed Brian...
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Damn Brian, doublea_ron and vwwestyman Sad We'll miss you guys.

Got my MC all swapped out, bled and test drove. All seems to be working great Very Happy

The monsoons have just teased us so far this year, so do your rain dances or whatever... Roads will be really dusty if they don't show up really soon! I can hardly remember a CO July where we didn't have the monsoons by now.

Rain or not, I don't care. I just need a good camping weekend! Can't wait to get this trip started!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

We are starting to get the rain here , just a bit in the afternoons. Cleaned out my interior and added Lucas, so far so good. I'm headed to the Valley early on Thursday, might go to Valley View for the day and then camp at the UFO watch tower. C-ya all on Friday night
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Anyone else camping Thursday?
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

I wish we could camp Thursday, but we won't be rolling out till Friday morning due to work. Our current plan is to leave sometime mid-morning and cross over Cumbres Pass instead of Wolf Creek (much less traffic and not as steep). When we get up to Del Norte we're going to hit Three Barrel Brewing for a late lunch. (Great food and beer. Highly recommended!) Depending on how hot it is we'll either head to the park in Del Norte, which I'm pretty sure is on the Rio Grande, or straight up to Penitente.

See you all there!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

OK I will meet you at 3 barrels Friday early afternoon since I have no idea where anything is, I hope 2 pm works, if its later I will loaf around the parking lot. C-ya then!! Hittin the road early am, day at Valley View, night at UFO watch tower. Keep on Bussin'
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Sounds great! I'm guessing we'll be arriving right around 2pm.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

I'm looking at around a 9pm arrival time to the campsite.

Anyone know the GPS location of the campsite?
’65 Deluxe Build
co_rivi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

OK to show up last minute? I'm trying to get off work so I can make the trip down from Denver, will likely be a last minute deal...
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

co_rivi wrote:
OK to show up last minute? I'm trying to get off work so I can make the trip down from Denver, will likely be a last minute deal...

Absolutely! If you don't make it to Penitente to camp Friday night just meet up with us at the intersection of Hwy 160 and Pinos Creek Rd (also labeled as CR 14 on the maps) Saturday morning. Here's a link to google maps of that spot, which is just across the street from Organic Peddler: https://goo.gl/maps/fV4kBWrPswj If you swap the map to Earth view you'll see where there is a parking lot right there at the intersection, and we'll all do a final meet up there before heading up into the mountains on CR 14. Hoping to leave that spot at 9:30, so those of us camping at Penitente will need to get out probably by a bit before 8:00 so we have time to get gassed up, etc. and get to that intersection.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: