Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

I can't catch a break with these awesome summer VW adventures. Turns out I won't be making the trip, well most of it anyway. My wife's uncle is holding a big family reunion on the same weekend in Greeley. Wifey really wants to go, so we are going. Good news is we are taking the bus on that 900+ mile adventure and camping on the family farm while there. We are going to leave Durango on Friday evening and are hoping to meet up at the camp spot. We most likely won't get there till 930-10. We'll chill, camp, have the morning and then be off to Greeley. Sorry guys, we all know it's family first, as long as we can drive our buses. Wink.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Family first, always! Sounds like it'll be a good time.

The broken exhaust head bolt is not going so well so I'm going to pull the engine and go from there. Hopefully get it sorted and not have to swap the Bug engine back in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Yep, family first. Glad you're still going to make it for the first night!
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Painted the bus this week. Looking forward to getting it nice and dusty this summer.
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

WOW that looks nice busboyjake!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mountain Haus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Looks good for me and my fam to join in on the adventure! I have a checklist of work to do beforehand, but we are stoked to come play in the mountains with you all. We both work on Friday so we may be rollin in kinda late, but I am gonna try for an earlier departure so we can show up in the daylight. We'll see.
I will be bringing my wife, two daughters (7 & 9), and my old Lab in our 1978 Westy.

1978 Dakota Beige Westy
1964 Euro "S" Variant
1972 Tin Top 9 Passenger Deluxe
1978 Honda CT90
1978-ish Chrysler Snorunner
and usually a couple of stragglers...?
seizure66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Looks like it will be the 62 walk through panel bus for me! 30 years out of commission. Missing pretty much everything, but it's coming along now. Rear frame welded in, trans installed, new brakes, shocks, beam, drag link, tie rods, fuel tank, splices wiring harness and so on... Fit an engine today, and took it out for a test drive! Maybe I'll get to somesome metal work before then, maybe not. Any river crossings I need to know about.? Any maps? I don't even know where this is....

Geoff, from Flagstaff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Right on Geoffrey, glad to hear you are coming.

BTW, is the location of the starting point?
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/13+Camino+Del+Caba...0.5z/data=
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Birkengrün Schönheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

You folks about ready? Hope you're all enjoying your summer and wrapping up any repairs or projects so you can squeeze in plenty of camping. Chris & I ran part of the route last weekend. We decided that after we leave Penitente Saturday morning we'll circle the wagons again right where County Road 14 meets Hwy 160. There's a parking lot/picnic area across from the Organic Peddler. So grab your gas or groceries and meet us there. Departure sometime between 9:30am and 10am. Earlier better.

Yep, Brian. That's the Penitente campground. Current plan is leave there about 9am Saturday and head into Del Norte. Fuel up or those who don't want to head into Penitente meet across from the Organic Peddler at 9:30am here:
https://goo.gl/maps/fV4kBWrPswj

Can we get a head count on who plans to camp at Penitente Friday night?
Link to Penitente fees & info: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/riogrande/recarea/?recid=64790
There aren't very many camping spots, and no reservations so we all run the risk of needing to find an alternative if it's full. And if there aren't many of you camping Friday night, do we want to think about an earlier start on Saturday?

Last I checked the list looked something like:

1. cdollar '57 Westy
2. camping Friday only - richparker '68 Tin Top Westy, The Bone Bus
3. Mtnbus '59 DD panel camper, Frankie
4. camping at UFO watchtower Friday - Manfred58sc '69 ex-adventure wagon deluxe.
5. Jmsty76 '76 Westy (Oklahoma)
5. Busboy73 '73 Westy (Oklahoma)
6. Doublea_ron '71 Westy
7. Big Bus Mike, I forget the year of his split
8. Topbud '86 Syncro
9. BusboyJake '78 Westy (Uncle Yeti '77 Westy?)
10. Seizure66, '66 Jersy looker?
11. Bulli klinik '69 (?) Dormy
12. Stu? '78 westy w/LSD, Maisy
13. Peaceful Warrior (Brian), 87 Sycnro most likely
14. seizure66 Geoff 62 panel
15. vwwestyman
16. greenmtnjakes '78 westy

Geoff from Flag, head north on 89, then east on 160 towards Tuba City and go a little over 400 miles til you hit Del Norte. It's a lot of Res roads and you cross Wolf Creek Pass.

Best map of the area we'll be cruising http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/map...-trail-map

No water crossings. Roads are pretty tame. However, last weekend in a light rain and street tires on our new 4Runner we were outta control (even in 4wd at low speeds) coming down a steep grade on that County Road 14. Some of that sandy crap that just gums up your tires.

Earlier we can get started means we are more likely to be off the roads if the monsoons move in for the afternoon. And more likely we can get our same camping spot from 2012 on Ellwood Pass Saturday night.

Here's some eye candy from previous trips in the area to get you guys motivated.

Part of the route will overlap the route we took in 2012 so you can page thru the thread and relive that fun time, too. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=180

peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Birkengrün Schönheit wrote:
You folks about ready? Hope you're all enjoying your summer and wrapping up any repairs or projects so you can squeeze in plenty of camping. Chris & I ran part of the route last weekend. We decided that after we leave Penitente Saturday morning we'll circle the wagons again right where County Road 14 meets Hwy 160. There's a parking lot/picnic area across from the Organic Peddler. So grab your gas or groceries and meet us there. Departure sometime between 9:30am and 10am. Earlier better.

Yep, Brian. That's the Penitente campground. Current plan is leave there about 9am Saturday and head into Del Norte. Fuel up or those who don't want to head into Penitente meet across from the Organic Peddler at 9:30am here:
https://goo.gl/maps/fV4kBWrPswj

Can we get a head count on who plans to camp at Penitente Friday night?
Link to Penitente fees & info: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/riogrande/recarea/?recid=64790
There aren't very many camping spots, and no reservations so we all run the risk of needing to find an alternative if it's full. And if there aren't many of you camping Friday night, do we want to think about an earlier start on Saturday?

Right on! Geoffrey and I were just talking on the phone about his coming thru Taos and we caravan up. BTW, for those that don't or can't make it up to Penitente, the campground in Del Norte, Woods & River RV Park is a great place to camp over night. It's cheap enough, has nice enough facilities and is right along the upper Rio Grande River. Manfred and I stayed there in 2012 and were happy with the place. The owners were very nice and cool folks.
I think it was $20 for the night for our two buses and they let camp in a tent site away from the RV's. Fire pit and picnic table and steps from the river. Shower facilities, bathrooms and free firewood.

My plan is to make it up to Penitente early on Friday but if not W&R RV park is my backup.

BTW, thanks for posting the photo of my Syncro climbing up to the radio tower, I had not seen it before now.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seizure66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

The jersey looker is in restoration process so she won't be here! I'll bring this panel, and if my wife wants to come she can bring my 67.

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Sorry I have not pipped up lately, I'm still good to go even though my 1600 DP is making bad noises on start up. I'm losing the line bore. Once I'm underway still runs strong and the main seal has not failed. Too busy in the shop to swap it out. Soo I'm keeping the miles to a minimum and I won't be doing any extreme climbing. Lookin' forward to this since I can't make the Bus's at the Brewery show.
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

We're sending good engine vibes your way, Manfred!

I'm really getting excited about the trip. Less than a month away now! Haven't put nearly enough miles on the bus this summer.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Thanks man, I will bring various bottles of heavy "gooo" like additives to limp home on if necessary. I lost my line bore back in 91 whilst in NorCal, had to pull the engine once for new seal and run 20-50. Made it back fine, block was shot however,,,In 30 years of ownership my Bus has only had used,pre-burned,slap-together engines of various sizes. That may change after this one!
MR GAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

We might do a run with y'all again . Much fun last year Dancing Brown Vanagon
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

OK , the bad noises are...well...bad, not good. I'm going to have to deal with this. Rearranging of schedule will have to happen. Stay tuned for this movie....
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

I just have to let you guys all know that I will not be making the trip. I will be on the Main Salmon during that time. I hope you guys all have fun and have great times. I'll catch you on another one. Maybe a winter trip somewhere CDollar?
Never been on the Main and it's a bucket list river
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
OK , the bad noises are...well...bad, not good. I'm going to have to deal with this. Rearranging of schedule will have to happen. Stay tuned for this movie....

Manfred, just make it down and ride with me! I can bring the side tent if you don't want to sleep next to me...LOL and I will even let you drive from time to time. Shocked Laughing
TOOB Member #15
Brian
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Thanks, I think I have a workable plan to get me on the road...
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

I have a used 1600 I got at auction I will try, end of week at earliest..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: