Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Yup, I bought another Oval a 55 this time with semi's and crazy ultraviolet paint job! Its been in storage over 10 years and really has not seen the road in close to 20 years.
It has one pc windows , been dechromed, has Neal 4 wheel disc brakes, lowered and narrowed front beam, hydraulic clutch, line lock, a 412 RP with a close 3'd and a super diff.
Shes paint detailed underneath and needs some color sanding and buffing yet...but I'm really excited about this one.

Plans are get the paint looking good and assemble the car with a nod to a nice 70's Cal Looker.

It came with most of the parts to assemble it except headliner, carpets, and door panels...oh' and the one pc regulators so I'm on the hunt for those.

I have a engine I'm throwing together from parts in my shop for now until I can afford the big motor... Laughing

Anyhow enjoy the pics and yes I know it kinda of a mis-match of parts here and there but I love it.

BB
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by brotherbob on Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

More pics of parts and details

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Cool! Congratulations!
Looks like a BUNCH of the hard work is already done for ya!
For the one-piece door glass . . . you might want to consider power window regulators . . . maybe some like this . . . http://www.ballsrodandkustom.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=100
The reason so many people have problems with rattling one-piece door glass is that they use the '65-'69 Bug regulators. Those actually run at an angle and move the glass out of the run channel as the window moves down.
The window needs to move vertically in the door in order to remain in its channel . . . those power regulators will allow the glass to do that.
You should also consider adding a second channel to guide the front edge of the window glass.
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Thanks Bubba!

Yeah a lot of the hard work is done and that's why I grabbed it! Thanks for the info on regulators that helps me , I've never messed with a one pc window set up.

Had to thin the fleet to get this one -sold a Bay Westy and Baja project.

Time for it to go into my barn and get to work on it!

BB
Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

that's awesome looking,
enjoy the build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jdub63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Looks like a great project. I'm glad someone finally bought it, I've been tempted several times going through the CL ads.

Good luck,

jdub
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Ok -I'm collecting more parts and doing lots of reading but a couple of things are kinda difficult for me to search for because how many hits I get?

1- Semaphores - How do they mount? Is there a cover or weather tight seal on the outside? I have a pair in decent shape but I'd like to test them and install them to see what I have works and if I need to have them repaired or order more pcs for them.... Anybody have a link to everything about semaphores? or more details?

2- The Cal Look one pc regulators- I got some info above but that seemed kinda pricey? what regulators will work? and where do you find the continuous seals for both sides of the glass to make them as weather tight as possible?

Thanks for looking at my thread and for helping point me in the right direction.
BB
Matts Bug Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Semaphores: send pictures of your semaphores to vwman@ shaw.ca and I will let you know what you have, what is missing, what is needed for resto etc.

Matt, Matt's Parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

On the Semaphores:
Matt can help you but there are also a couple links in the Split Bug FAQ
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132919

Scroll down there to the links that have Semaphore in the title.

They are not weather tight.
They mount with a single screw on the bottom.
There is sort of painted "cover" on the outside.
Maybe something is missing from yours? Post a photo.

Example, look at the one on the right side

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

brotherbob wrote:

2- The Cal Look one pc regulators- I got some info above but that seemed kinda pricey? what regulators will work?

Here's a reproduction of what has been used for the majority of one-piece window conversions. http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D3380 I will warn you that these are probably TOTAL CRAP and a complete waste of $100!

Find a donor car to get oem VW regulators . . . be aware that they might be well worn.

Look at the regulators in the link and you will be able to see how they run at an angle . . . a pretty good way to get your door glass to rattle because the window will have no support when it is rolled down even a little!

brotherbob wrote:
. . . where do you find the continuous seals for both sides of the glass to make them as weather tight as possible?

Look here for the channel and duster strips . . . http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/default.aspx?GroupID=19783
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
On the Semaphores:
Matt can help you but there are also a couple links in the Split Bug FAQ
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132919

Scroll down there to the links that have Semaphore in the title.

They are not weather tight.
They mount with a single screw on the bottom.
There is sort of painted "cover" on the outside.
Maybe something is missing from yours? Post a photo.

Example, look at the one on the right side

Man even Everett is interested...very cool. So when the Boss man says post a photo, ya post a photo.....here are my semaphores!

brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Matt's Bug Parts wrote:
Semaphores: send pictures of your semaphores to vwman@ shaw.ca and I will let you know what you have, what is missing, what is needed for resto etc.

Matt, Matt's Parts

Didnt see this until I posted ,hopefully you can see what you need to know.
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
brotherbob wrote:

2- The Cal Look one pc regulators- I got some info above but that seemed kinda pricey? what regulators will work?

Here's a reproduction of what has been used for the majority of one-piece window conversions. http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D3380 I will warn you that these are probably TOTAL CRAP and a complete waste of $100!

Find a donor car to get oem VW regulators . . . be aware that they might be well worn.

Look at the regulators in the link and you will be able to see how they run at an angle . . . a pretty good way to get your door glass to rattle because the window will have no support when it is rolled down even a little!

brotherbob wrote:
. . . where do you find the continuous seals for both sides of the glass to make them as weather tight as possible?

Look here for the channel and duster strips . . . http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/default.aspx?GroupID=19783

GREAT info thank you a ton! So I'll find some OEM regulators and order the weatherstrips! Thanks again, exactly what I needed to hear.
BB
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

I did get a little done today- this is the get me by engine built from shop parts and swap meet foder!

1600cc 043 heads , lil' cam , dual Kads, header.

Nothing to get crazy about but should be a good runner until I can gather all my parts for something bigger...I've managed to grab a 78mm crank and some decent rods so far.

I did find some tiny lift struts and brackets that appear to hold up the deck lid? Next time I go back in the shop I'll get a pic!

I have managed to sort most of my Oval goodness and believe I have enough Stainless hardware to assemble it now, found all the snowflake tailight stuff too. Little steps, but forward motion.

Thanks for the input folks!
BB

brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Anybody ever seen these? My assumption is they are deck lid shocks/struts for a early deck lid with stand offs?

Thanks,
BB
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Wet sanding and buffing is for young dudes!
B
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

brotherbob wrote:

Anybody ever seen these? My assumption is they are deck lid shocks/struts for a early deck lid with stand offs?

Thanks,
BB

I have never seen those before, but I bet yer assumption is correct!

Glad to see ya makin' progress!

P.S. be forewarned that one of these days I'm gonna try to talk ya out of using those aluminum running boards on yer oval window, okay?
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

I dunno man I'm pretty hung up on those boards and my aluminum sill plates too! Haha..

Its gonna be a nice lil street car.
BB
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

Ok finally done with wet sanding and buffing!

Time to start assembly....gonna wipe it down and pull a new harness through it.

63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 55 Cal Look Oval project Reply with quote

paint looks good! some guys get all the luck eh?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: