Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Family tragedy for member of CJVWS
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bucky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

I wanted to pass along some bad news regarding one of our fellow enthusiasts, Casey Masterson. Many of you all know Casey and his amazing family from all the Northeast events or as the president of CJVWS. Unfortunately on Friday night the Masterson's had a bad house fire that destroyed their home and took the lives of several of their family pets. Fortunately Casey and his family were not home and weren't hurt, but their pets meant the world to them as I'm sure is the case with a lot of you all and in a situation like this words really cannot describe how I'm sure they are feeling. Coupled with the loss of most of their belongings, there is a long road ahead to rebuilding and getting back to their lives.

I've received countless calls as news has spread asking how we can help make this time easier for Casey. Insurance should cover most of the physical damages but I'm sure it will take time to resolve. In the meantime, if you want to assist with supplies, things for his daughters, money, or words of encouragement it would go a long way I'm sure. They are still deciding where they are going to stay and personal belongings could be a challenge for a week or two - so gift cards or cash are probably best at least for now if you want to help in that regard.

Casey wouldn't ask for anything and I know he will get through this with or without our help, but if we can make this situation even a little less painful for such a kindhearted person in our fold it is worth the attention.

If anyone wants to send money and would feel more comfortable sending it to me via PayPal rather than giving it to Casey directly my account is [email protected] I'll make sure any money makes its way to him anonymously if that's your wish.

Thank you all in advance!

Here's a link to an article: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&a...aGj6CZDuig

"Got a lot to carry? Get a box."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Bucky. This gives us a central place to express our support and send donations.

I'm sure they're all over whelmed and their first task to get get a place to live and provide stability for the girls. Cash donations will give them the flexibility to buy what they need immediately since the insurance company might take some time to give them a check.

Instead of making a cash donation, i've put a NOS Bosch 010 up for sale in the classified. 100% of the proceeds will go to Casey.

NOS Bosch 010 - Donation for Casey

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

is there a running list of stuff they need? would like to help with whatever may be on the top of the list. gift card to a particular store?

that sucks, glad they are ok

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

Casey & Denise are members & leaders of a Morris County 4H club with their girls. Currently we at 4H have been in contact with them & are collecting items at the 4H office. Below is a copied & pasted e-mail that went out on 02-08-16 to all 4H leaders in Morris County. This can give you an idea of what to do. Either send to 4H or through Bucky at CJVWS. They will get it either way.
-------------------------
Good afternoon 4-H club leaders,

We are very sad to report that, over the weekend, one of our 4-H families suffered a great loss. The home of Casey and Denise Masterson (leaders of the Wing Nuts 4-H Club) and their two daughters, Rylan and Harper, was destroyed in a fire on Friday night. Thankfully, all four Masterson family members were not at home when the fire started. Besides the damage to the home and loss of personal possessions, many of the family’s pets did not survive.

Many of you may be familiar with the Masterson family as they are active club leaders, served as tent managers for the Poultry Tent at the Fair, and have marched in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade with their duck riding in a red wagon. They have given so much to the Morris County 4-H program so we are sadden to hear of their loss. The family is currently staying with friends and are in the process of renting a house while they begin to repair their home.

In time, the family will communicate their physical needs to the 4-H office as they work through the chaos of this situation. Your family, club, and the wider 4-H community can show your love and support now by writing letters to Rylan and Harper (ages 11 and 7). They would appreciate knowing their 4-H family is thinking of them during this hard time. If you would like to make a donation to the family, gift cards to the Home Depot, Walmart, Kohls, and other stores would be appreciated to help cover some of their immediate needs.

Please send all letters and gift cards to the 4-H office to be delivered to the family once they are settled in a temporary home.
Morris County 4-H
Attn: Masterson Family
P.O. Box 900
Morristown, NJ 07963

Read the news article: http://www.newjerseyhills.com/observer- ... f7925.html

Kelly Dziak
4-H Program Associate
RCE of Morris County
P.O. Box 900
Morristown, NJ 07963
[email protected]
4-H office - (973) 285-8301
Direct line - (973) 285-8312
Fax - (973) 605-8195
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

I just worked out a deal for a restored Bosch 010 and some additional service in exchange for a sizable donation to Casey instead of the NOS Bosch 010. So its no longer available.

Lets try to be creative to maximize donation to help his family get back on their feet.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
tele68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

Very Sad, also, Casey is very active on Facebook and has been posting daily updates on their status and needs. Also, in addition to the 4H mentioned above, his daughters local elementary school has set up a donation fund and PO box to send direct gifts and cards here:

http://www.hardingtwp.org/Page/1094

You can also send him E-gift cards from any major retail store with just a few clicks and a paypal account. He has already posted that they have rented a house nearby his old one and intends to rebuild the old one. Hope this is helpful...Jeff Taylor, Member CJVWS

Here is Casey's Facebook page with updates:

https://www.facebook.com/casey.masterson.568?fref=photo
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

Just an update from us at 4H. As time moves on I am sure many needs will pop up so keep checking in to see how you can help.
-----------------------------------------------------

Hello Board members,

Thank you all for your discussion and generous offers. I have had some communication with the family this week so I can update you all on a few things.

Yesterday, I delivered a basket of school supplies, craft materials, small toys, and letters for the girls to their grandparents’ house (they happen to live in the same neighborhood as me). Casey will pick up the supplies later this week. From my brief conversation with the grandparents, it sounds like there are many organizations ready to step in to support the family. I believe they have already received a lot of “stuff” to cover immediate needs. It also sounds like each organization has covered a specific need such as furniture, clothing, meals, etc.

In speaking with Casey, they are working on renting a home and setting up a P.O. Box this week. They have received monetary donations which will help cover some immediate costs. I agree with Mic and Melissa that an immediate donation would be helpful now. I think another organization has set up a meal train and I will find out more so we can join in. We’ve heard from many 4-H families, clubs, and volunteers offering “stuff”, gift cards, babysitting, meals, letters, and more. We are doing our best to keep everyone in the loop and be ready to fill whatever needs the Masterson’s have.

Thank you again for your support for the family. Kathy and I will continue to update you all when we have more information.

Best regards,
Kelly

Kelly Dziak
4-H Program Associate
RCE of Morris County
P.O. Box 900
Morristown, NJ 07963
[email protected]
4-H office - (973) 285-8301
Direct line - (973) 285-8312
Fax - (973) 605-8195
1965 fenderless beetle
grungeant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

I am so sorry. I can't imagine. I have no words.

"You should remember it's peace of mind you're after, and not just a fixed machine."
Robert Pirsig
AoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

A gift card is on the way. Having had two girls who had a lot of stuff at his girls' age, I just keep thinking what life must be like for them in addition to losing their home and precious pets. Fortunately they can rebuild and make new memories but it is a long process and it is still a big loss to acknowledge!! Good wishes to them.

1971 Bay Bus
The "Wonder" - Beetle
caseydenise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

Wow, you guys are so amazing. I am very thankful to be apart of this great group of vw folks. All truly good people. VW's are a huge part of my families life. We really get so much back from being so involved in the hobby.

Anything you guys do for us is so greatly appreciated. This is a hard time for my family and I.

Most of all if you see us an upcoming show, make sure to say hi. I would love to hug and thank each and everyone of you.

-Casey

ps- all my vw's survived in the detached garage, so I won't have to take my Ford to the shows.
The Blue Max
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

Casey.....you, Denise and the girls are in our thoughts.....we gave Zoey a great big hug the other day when we found out....dogs are part of the family too, and we are very sorry for your loss.

Andrea & Brad and Zoey
Otto Stick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

Casey a package and a gift card are on their way.Hope things get back to normal soon. EDNCAROL DVG
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

That's it???

No one else??

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

We had a small fund raiser at a local get-together today. A couple hundred bucks were raised if memory serves, and that will go out this week to the family.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

I just spotted this thread, Casey, you and the Family can come to Vt. anytime for a get-away weekend at our place, and you will be on the Cabin fever party guest list again next year Laughing I hope things are looking better & the whole Insurance co. BS is not driving you crazy !!

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
That's it???

No one else??

I don't think many people see this topic way up at the top of the General forum. I'm sure more people would see it in the Clubs/Shows forum. Sorry for your losses Casey.
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

I guess we don't need to bump the topic, because it's at the top of the page. But we still didn't see it until last night.

Very sorry to hear of the loss. Losing your house is awful. Losing pets… Beyond awful. Good to hear that the rest of the family was out of harm's way.

Casey helped us out last year, working through a way for it make it practical for our family to come up to our favorite VW show (Flanders) - even though we're a couple of states to the south & not members of the club. Great guy.

[We dropped off a card in the snail-mail today.]
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

I was there that night and the whole experience was unreal. I was driving to Casey's house with plans of hanging out and staying over and then we were going to meet up with Cuddy and Jdot and head up to Vermont the next day to visit Tom (crukab).

I was about 30min away from his house when I received a text from him telling me his house was on fire and he didn't even know what to do. I told him to call 911 and stay away. At the time I didn't even understand the magnitude of the fire or the fact that several fire departments were already there. I wasn't even sure if I should go, or just book a hotel and stay out of the way. I decided to press on, I figured if my house was on fire and I had a friend visiting, I would want them there just to distract me.

Its an odd thing to be on your way to someone's house and its on fire. So I parked my truck about a half mile away from the house and it was eerily quiet. It was cold and wet and all I saw was firetrucks. Casey met me on the street and I had asked if everyone is ok. He told me the family was ok but the pets were gone. I remember asking, even Boone? He told me Boone was gone and my heart literally sank. I couldn't even believe what I was hearing. I can't remember receiving news like that and being overcome with sadness so quickly.

Casey is a rock. We stood there on the street just watching his house on fire and all the firefighters working their asses off to get it under control. You could see water just pouring out of the front door. Nobody deserves to ever experience something like this, and I have to say I was very impressed how Casey handled it all. His family needed him to be a rock, and he was truly that.

If you haven't donated or helped out in any way I urge you too or like he said, if you see him at a show just give him a hug. He is a really great guy and still recovering from this madness.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

I was with the family for awhile on 3/12. They are doing o/k. They have moved into a rental house within 10 minutes of their place. They are trying to keep life as normal as possible for the girls with school, activities, etc. In fact we marched together at the Morristown St. Patricks day parade with the 4H organization. They brought no less than five wagons with chicken wire cages attached to pull in the parade for their ducks & some of the club members chickens.

The house will be a total tear down. Casey was meeting with demo people for estimates last week & this week so the process is starting. I don't know what they need at this time but words of encouragement through letters or just a hug when you see them will always be appreciated. Also if you have any photos of them or their cars please send them too.
1965 fenderless beetle
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Family tragedy for member of CJVWS Reply with quote

My condolences and I hope your furry friends didn't suffer. My fire fighter friends tell me its mercifully quick in a fire. I would be hard pressed to not go in after my 5 furry friends but I know this is damn dangerous and NOT the right thing to do. Kudos to you for being the rock.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: