Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dry Sump Type 4
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Mariani
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Dry Sump Type 4 Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm building a 2.0L Type 4 to use in my '68 912 project [oe motor was missing].
I'd really like to dry sump this engine.

My question is: Can I dry sump a motor that originally relied on oil splash for lubricating its wrist pins and cyl walls/rings?

914-4 owners that have had good results with dry sumping please advise. I'm a little worried about the lack of splash with a true dry sump'd Type 4 engine.

Thanks, -Matt[/b]
Matt Mariani
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dry Sump Type 4 Reply with quote

My opinion is there's definitely enough splash from the con rod big end to lubricate the wrist pins and cyl walls.

Next question; I know of the Auto-Craft and Pauter dry sump pumps, is BUGPACK still making there's?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dry Sump Type 4 Reply with quote

Matt Mariani wrote:
Hello,

I'm building a 2.0L Type 4 to use in my '68 912 project [oe motor was missing].
I'd really like to dry sump this engine.

My question is: Can I dry sump a motor that originally relied on oil splash for lubricating its wrist pins and cyl walls/rings?

914-4 owners that have had good results with dry sumping please advise. I'm a little worried about the lack of splash with a true dry sump'd Type 4 engine.

Thanks, -Matt[/b]

Add the piston squirters in. There are a few shops that do this or you can do it yourself.

Also...suggest you drop into the Shoptalk forums....the type forum and 914 forums specifically. More than a handful there have done this.

Even without dry sump.....installing the piston squirters for hot climate and high compression is a good idea.

The stock windage tray works well......but needs some mods to increase drainage. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: