Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1952 Split (formerly Mike Wolfe's from American Pickers)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent 1952 Split purchase Reply with quote

If the bottom end is trashed, I figure I'm still money ahead on the top end stuff... I see at least $500 worth of parts there. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent 1952 Split purchase Reply with quote

Looking good man. Congrats.

That's not the same split that was pulled from the barn rafters, right? I guess old Mike must have found a couple of them.

We also have the Kraftfahrzeugbrief. Our book even lists when the brakes were switched to hydraulic and the wheels swapped for 15 inchers.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Recent 1952 Split purchase Reply with quote

That's great! It's amazing these books stayed with the cars all these years. This is actually a split he owned before he found the one stored in the rafters of the barn in PA. Mike has actually owned a handful of splits over the years. I think he prefers the patina of the barn Beetle, plus the rare factor of it being an original Max Hoffman car, hence this 52 split was put up for sale. He has also become increasingly interested in early Porsches as of late...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a pic of my car next to the Hoffman split from the rafters...
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent 1952 Split purchase Reply with quote

disneyherbie wrote:
That's great! It's amazing these books stayed with the cars all these years. This is actually a split he owned before he found the one stored in the rafters of the barn in PA. Mike has actually owned a handful of splits over the years. I think he prefers the patina of the barn Beetle, plus the rare factor of it being an original Max Hoffman car, hence this 52 split was put up for sale. He has also become increasingly interested in early Porsches as of late...

Here's a pic of my car next to the Hoffman split from the rafters...

Correct those tail lights and I'd say you got the pick of the litter.
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Split (formerly Mike Wolfe's from American Pickers) Reply with quote

Thanks Joel! I think so too. Now if it would just stop snowing in Western PA I could actually go enjoy a drive in it! Mad
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Split (formerly Mike Wolfe's from American Pickers) Reply with quote

Never snow down here in South Texas. Extremely mild winter compared to years past which means we're in for a real hot summer.
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Split (formerly Mike Wolfe's from American Pickers) Reply with quote

Finally remedied the previously crooked license plate with a vintage PA plate

Paintwork is coming back nicely as well.

pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Split (formerly Mike Wolfe's from American Pickers) Reply with quote

Nice! Is it the original paint? How do you do it, just polishing?
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Split (formerly Mike Wolfe's from American Pickers) Reply with quote

The car has had one respray. It's still got the original paint in the jambs, dash, etc. I usually start out with a medium cut compound and then work my way to a fine polish and finally a nice carnuba wax. It's time consuming but well worth it. It's the difference between the car looking like a chalky, oxidized almost grayish color, back to the lighter pastel green it should be!
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Split (formerly Mike Wolfe's from American Pickers) Reply with quote

Sorry it's been awhile. Figured I'd give an update. Been tracking down some of the harder to find and missing parts for the '52. Managed to bring the paint back with a decent compound/buff. Also managed to remedy those unsightly oval taillights. Car is finally starting to look its age again!

Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Split (formerly Mike Wolfe's from American Pickers) Reply with quote

Thank you for fixing the tail lights!

Good job on the car so far, looking a lot better!
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Split (formerly Mike Wolfe's from American Pickers) Reply with quote

[quote="disneyherbie"]Finally remedied the previously crooked license plate with a vintage PA plate

That is a beautiful license plate!

Nice work on the paint. Looking forward to the updates.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Split (formerly Mike Wolfe's from American Pickers) Reply with quote

This car is simply stunning. May it never be painted or modified.

disneyherbie wrote:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Split (formerly Mike Wolfe's from American Pickers) Reply with quote

Knowing Tory, he will cleverly fix those front turn signal holes.

Heinz Nordhoff
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Split (formerly Mike Wolfe's from American Pickers) Reply with quote

Yep, that's on the short list BlueBaron. I'm also on the hunt for the correct wipers and interior rear view mirror. The 15s don't bother me as much as I thought they would, now that they've got a set of Firestone bias plys. The old radials had to go...
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Split (formerly Mike Wolfe's from American Pickers) Reply with quote

What did you do to fill that overrider hole on the drivers side rear fender?

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Split (formerly Mike Wolfe's from American Pickers) Reply with quote

I sourced a real dimpled split fender. Not cheap but this car deserved it...

disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Split (formerly Mike Wolfe's from American Pickers) Reply with quote

Here's a pic of the pair of rear fenders and housings after paint and bodywork.

russ c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Split (formerly Mike Wolfe's from American Pickers) Reply with quote

nice work Tory!
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Split (formerly Mike Wolfe's from American Pickers) Reply with quote

nice work!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: