Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Re-making my interior
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

MidwestDrifter wrote:

The foam and rubber provided good insulation AND dramatically reduced the noise in the cabin.

You don't by chance happen to have any pics of this? It sounds nice Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
At the moment I am thinking seriously about leaving the cabin floor pans with nothing on them - just nicely painted metal >>> but then comes the question about what to do about these wires?

Do all Vanagons have wires routed this way, or is mine special? Shocked I sure would like to figure out a way to get those wires off the floor.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Whether or not those wires are even in use, that's not at all where I'd route them. If they need to be run inside, then I'd run them between the seats. If they don't need to be inside, or inside up near the front, then I'd route them under the van. Having wires sitting directly under where you rest your feet is bad juju

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

REGARDING THE FLOOR WIRES:
- blue one goes nowhere
- 4X speaker cables (2X go nowhere), other 2X easily re-routed
- red one goes to glow plugs rely (PO mod.)
- 3X black ones all go to a rear-view video camera (which I never use)

So yes, in fact I can run the essential ones through a plastic tube UNDER the van, and the speaker cables easily re-routed...

Thanks guys for taking the time to suggest the obvious! It helps! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
MidwestDrifter wrote:

The foam and rubber provided good insulation AND dramatically reduced the noise in the cabin.

You don't by chance happen to have any pics of this? It sounds nice Smile

Sure here are a couple of the finished project.

Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

Beautiful!
That looks like rubber stuff from old 60's beetles Smile
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

Thanks, it came out pretty good. I just found a commercial flooring supplier, and asked them if they had some durable rubber.

The seams are all made with black sikaflex (don't remember the type) which was recommended by the supplier.

It held up great on our 2 year roadtrip. Shocked Cool The combination of the rubber's weight and the foam beneath made a great impact on road noise compared to the stock floor. When were done it was possible to have a conversation on the freeway.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

I wouldn't have any live wires where they can be stepped on, ever, but most notably not the glow plug wires. That's just crazy talk. 50 amps before the fusible link will blow can make a nice little weld/fire the 179th time it's stepped on and finally frays the insulation and shorts out. Without the stock relay, I'd be curious if the PO even wired in the fusible link. Without the fusible link, it would definitely be a burned up van at some point if people walk on the wire.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
I wouldn't have any live wires where they can be stepped on, ever, but most notably not the glow plug wires. That's just crazy talk. 50 amps before the fusible link will blow can make a nice little weld/fire the 179th time it's stepped on and finally frays the insulation and shorts out. Without the stock relay, I'd be curious if the PO even wired in the fusible link. Without the fusible link, it would definitely be a burned up van at some point if people walk on the wire.

Ouch! ...Thanks Andrew for the 'head's up'... I guess we know what just went to the top of the priority list! Shocked [and I think I need to learn something very soon about what you are talking about regarding fuses, and check out how this relay is wired up!]

Thanks!
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

$45 worth of Spruce wood... getting ready to build the floor, bed, and kitchen Smile

MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

A woodworker you must be. Very Happy

Its probably obvious, but making mock ups, or even temporary cabinets will save you a lot of effort later on. 3/8" plywood, or even cardboard works just fine.

Good luck!
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

MidwestDrifter wrote:
A woodworker you must be. Very Happy

Its probably obvious, but making mock ups, or even temporary cabinets will save you a lot of effort later on. 3/8" plywood, or even cardboard works just fine.

Good luck!

Thanks! Smile
Actually there will be no cabinets. There will be 2 big wicker boxes (one for me, one for GF) which will be for clothes and personal things (like a big suitcase). These boxes can/will be moved occasionally here and there to make more space in another part of the van. Our idea is to absolutely maximize space and openness... and we will try to minimize things like carpets and cloth that can absorb cooking smells (we LOVE garlic!). The floor will be solid spruce, the bed/sofa will also be solid spruce. So the back can be opened up as a double-bed of total spruce. We will have an optional 1 inch foam mattrace for the bed --- we are both a big hard-core ZEN style, so we will try it like this first... won't even put anything on the front floor pans - just clean perfectly and paint. Maybe I will change, but currently we both really like to hear and feel the engine, so the noise is somewhat welcome Smile

My woodworking power tools will be very much challenged dealing with these slabs... let's see. The really complicated piece will be the highly adjustable kitchen unit... I will make it from maple... YES, certainly for this it would be wise to first make a trail version from MDF!
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

It depends on how much you drive. But you will most likely want some sound and thermal insulation on the floor.

The heat from the radiator flows under the floor, and can make it quite hot. Adding that to a hot day, and you may find yourself miserable.

On cold days you will have a hard time keeping the cabin warm with no insulation on the floor as well.

The noise adds to the fatiuge of driving. Of course if you don't drive very much, then it is less of an issue.

Regardless, removable carpeting can always be washed to remove odors.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

All very good points! We will start like this, and possibly add stuff when we feel the need - perhaps temporarily - perhaps permanently.

There is also the issue of wall and ceiling insulation... again, we will start with basically nothing, and see how it goes. I will design absolutely everything in the interior so that it is all removable in a flash... ...next Autumn I will need to do something about the rust issues... [for right now I think I will clean all the rust - hit it with rust converter - then spread some oil on it all... just as a very temporary 'slow-down']

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

making the neighbours crazy (probably) trying to cut all of this wood with this wimpy little 'table' saw... slowly slowly...

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

Great pics. Nice progress. It'll be great to see what you saw in those massive blocks of wood. I also like your approach to start minimal and add from there. That way you'll know what you really want (Although I definitely prefer sound insulation, or hearing protection, extended periods of noise over 85 db or so can damage hearing. It's kinda like smoking, it may not be a problem at first, but 30 or so years later your body may reveal the harmful effects of choices made years earlier.)

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
...extended periods of noise over 85 db or so can damage hearing. It's kinda like smoking, it may not be a problem at first, but 30 or so years later your body may reveal the harmful effects of choices made years earlier.)

I think, regarding the front floor pans, right now I will just clean 'em up and get some epoxy primer on them and not make a big deal... then after our Italy trip in August we will have a better idea what we like and want....

Regarding the wood... it is proving really challenging to get what I envision using my minimal tools, but slowly slowly I'll get there... Smile
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

Last week I finished jointing and gluing up all the boards - each one. Then took them to a woodworking shop where they have a 60cm planer, and large sanding machine - and they processed all the boards there... saved me A LOT of time and work.

At the moment I am still distracted with building some instruments for clients, and now some more mechanical problems - so my interior project will have to chug along slowly slowly.... [there are only 24 hours in the day] Smile

...and Summer needs to be enjoyed also Smile

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

Today I started back on intensive work on my van, mostly getting the interior ready for hopefully some tripping in August/Sept.

I bought varnish for the wood, interior paint, carpet, panels - and a grinder and sander... among other things - investing about $200 today.

Then finished removing absolutely everything remain in the interior and get to work cutting out some rust. There is a frickin' hole right where the folding bed attaches, and because of this hole the bed was attached 5cm to towards the center... I want the bed/couch as far against the wall as possible so that means fixing this hole first.... I cut out the rust and ground down the edges, and tomorrow will take time to create/bent a perfect patch - then I will take it to the local garage and ask them to weld in the patch. Once that is done I am home-free to install all the new stuff Smile

zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

That sucks!

I have two suggestions:

One, ask the garage to ONLY do the welding, and that you will finish it (coat it) yourself. As you know, the one time I paid for this kind of repair, the welding was far worse then my own very first attempts to weld! You should see exactly what their work looks like.

Actually, scratch that--it would be best to have them spray some kind of primer, since you won't have access to the equipment for spraying two-part paint, and so you don't get surface rust on the repair. Ask them to coat the bare metal and do no more. That way you'll get to see their welds. The best thing is epoxy primer.

I remember that we discussed this before, and I showed you a true two-stage epoxy primer in a can, but you couldn't get that where you live.

Second, if for some reason your wanted to fix it yourself, this would be a pretty good job for panel adhesive, since you don't have to worry about the repair 'mapping' through the paint. This is what happens when you use have paint over panel adhesive -- it means you can see faint lines where the repair was done. I've got an example of this on my own van.

Here's what I have used: https://www.amazon.com/3M-08115-Panel-Bonding-Adhesive/dp/B000PEW4MI

You should buy the applicator gun (another $50), but you can get away with mixing it by hand.

Oh, third: I suggest that you remove all of the paint and undercoating from both sides of the repair, with a wire wheel on a grinder. This will either save you money, because the shop won't have to do it, or give you a better repair, because there's a damn good chance the shop won't bother to do it, even though it's important for getting a good weld.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Re-making my interior Reply with quote

zuhandenheit wrote:

One, ask the garage to ONLY do the welding, and that you will finish it (coat it) yourself. As you know, the one time I paid for this kind of repair, the welding was far worse then my own very first attempts to weld! You should see exactly what their work looks like.

I saw that!! ..today I am actually toying with the idea to quickly order a welder and to it myself...... Idea Question

zuhandenheit wrote:

Actually, scratch that--it would be best to have them spray some kind of primer, since you won't have access to the equipment for spraying two-part paint, The best thing is epoxy primer.

Actually, I did find epoxy primer (two-part) and I have one liter of it (LECHER) sitting here. Can't I just apply this with a brush? ...but my concern is the seams. Maybe I should somehow spray some rust converter into the seams, and then use some kind of seam sealer (??) then brush on the primer.

zuhandenheit wrote:

Second, if for some reason your wanted to fix it yourself, this would be a pretty good job for panel adhesive, since you don't have to worry about the repair 'mapping' through the paint. This is what happens when you use have paint over panel adhesive -- it means you can see faint lines where the repair was done. I've got an example of this on my own van.

Now hey... they might be a great idea... but can I simply use regular two part epoxy glue (since it is not a high-heat area], or must it me dedicated panel adhesive {not sure where to get that around here}

zuhandenheit wrote:

Here's what I have used: https://www.amazon.com/3M-08115-Panel-Bonding-Adhesive/dp/B000PEW4MI
...can't find in CZ Sad

zuhandenheit wrote:

You should buy the applicator gun (another $50), but you can get away with mixing it by hand.
hmmm... all in all a cheap welder might be more economical.....

zuhandenheit wrote:

Oh, third: I suggest that you remove all of the paint and undercoating from both sides of the repair, with a wire wheel on a grinder. This will either save you money, because the shop won't have to do it, or give you a better repair, because there's a damn good chance the shop won't bother to do it, even though it's important for getting a good weld.

Yeah, I am about to go out now and clean off the underside (but it's raining right now Sad ) ...I was even thinking that if it would be welded from the underside there would be less seams exposed to the elements.

THANKS FOR THE HELP BEN!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: