Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

keep going! I simply can't imagine what you are going through, physically financially etc....it can't be easy. take every step as a milestone....what we all take for granted (something as simple as putting on a shoe) is huge for you. so glad you're making progress. get that foot working so you can stuff it square up the ass of the person who put you here Evil or Very Mad

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

hickmangene wrote:
Very Happy

Wore a (loose) real shoe on my right foot for the first time since the accident on January 26th!! Seems a small accomplishment, but one I welcome!! Love my Chuck Taylor's!! Very Happy

Now if I can just learn to walk again!

Great to hear about your progress Gene! Small accomplishments are good, one step closer. I messed my right leg up pretty good February 7th of this year on my KTM. It was nothing close to what you've been through but I can totally relate to the small milestones of healing. Keep it up!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Great to hear this update keep up the good work.

hickmangene wrote:
Very Happy

Wore a (loose) real shoe on my right foot for the first time since the accident on January 26th!! Seems a small accomplishment, but one I welcome!! Love my Chuck Taylor's!! Very Happy

Now if I can just learn to walk again!

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hickmangene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Very Happy

Doing a little walking on a cane now...maybe an hour out of each day - the rest is still spent in a wheelchair or on a walker. It's progress - slow progress, but progress still.

Keep an eye out here or in classifieds - I may be selling what's left of the old girl (the '67 Deluxe) or I may part her out. Also have the hulk of an unrestorable '67 double cab that I was using for parts. It may all be up for grabs soon......
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Great news!!!!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

scottvw wrote:
Great news!!!!

Hopefully "scottvw" was referring above to your better mobility, and not that some of your VW stuff might come up for grabs. I'm sure that's what he meant...

I'm glad to hear of your progress, slow and steady does it! You may not see us, but we're pulling for your recovery!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hickmangene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Smile

Yay!! I am able to walk with a cane about half the day now!! I just started driving very short distances around the house, and I can stand and take a shower now!! Still have months of physical therapy ahead, however....
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

hickmangene wrote:
Smile

Yay!! I am able to walk with a cane about half the day now!! I just started driving very short distances around the house, and I can stand and take a shower now!! Still have months of physical therapy ahead, however....
Applause

Great news.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Glad to hear this. Keep going!
hickmangene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

In memorium:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Crying or Very sad[/img]

Last edited by hickmangene on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:35 am; edited 2 times in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

hickmangene wrote:
In memorium:

Crying or Very sad

The link doesn't work?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
hickmangene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Oops, I'll have to find a website to host my pics....apparently Onedrive doesn't work! Surprised
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

hickmangene wrote:
I just started driving very short distances around the house...

How are you getting along? By "driving" did you mean wheelchair or car or golf?
hickmangene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
hickmangene wrote:
I just started driving very short distances around the house...

How are you getting along? By "driving" did you mean wheelchair or car or golf?

Very Happy

I got my "In memorium" pic to work ....look above

I am walking now with the much needed aid of a cane. Driving is no problem now (even manual tranny), but I can't walk very far once I get where I'm going.

Thanks for asking!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

man that picture is horrible. I'm glad you are alive but if that was me i'd have a hard time looking at it. Wishing you the best on the road to recovery.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hickmangene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

obus wrote:
man that picture is horrible. I'm glad you are alive but if that was me i'd have a hard time looking at it. Wishing you the best on the road to recovery.

It was horrible.... I was in the intersection at 48-50 mph when she turned in front of me - I never had a chance to hit the brakes. It took them about 25 min to cut me out. Luckily I didn't have any heart trauma with the chest impact....they would never have been able to get at me quickly enough!

Last edited by hickmangene on Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saul Koll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Terrifying image.
So glad you survived it.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

So glad you survived and and recovering.

That picture has me seriously reconsidering my Bus hobby. I love driving them, but driving them does put me in greater danger of something horrible happening. I did not sleep much last night.
icekoffee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Great to hear that you are getting better! Please keep us posted with your progress. We are all pulling for you
1958 Patina Beetle EJ25
1984 Vanagon Westfalia EJ25
1964 Lifted Mouse Grey Standard
1967 21 Window
1968 Double Bubble
1969 Westfalia
1961 Ragtop Beetle
1984 GTI
1961 Kombi
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

hickmangene wrote:
In memorium:

Crying or Very sad[/img]

Even if you were in a modern vehicle this is a bad accident.

This pic really put things into perspective. I view driving my split the same as riding motorcycles. Due diligence is needed watching out with all the fast moving vehicles all around us like guided missiles.

Glad to hear forward progress, even if it is slower than what we all would want.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: