Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 California Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I got an engine seal kit. Dad and I cracked open the valve covers and they looked mint! Repainted the valve covers a metallic silver for a little pop, put the new seals on and the bus stopped leaking (for the most part). I might need a new main seal.
Spark plugs were replaced. New, correct fuel line put on around the fuel filter.

When I took her to Cars and Coffee, I had her at 60MPH and even got it to 70 for a little bit. She handled it easily.

Is there any way I could put a temperture gauge in to keep an eye out on the motor? I live in Florida and it gets hot. I want to know when the engine heats up and when it is time for a little break. I know that temp gauges usually link up with coolant (being aircooled we obviously don't have coolant). Could I somehow hook it up to the oil and monitor that temperture up front?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Other ICE Machinery: Alco 251F 16v & 8v

Last edited by 69Weekender on Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

If you want a gauge to drive by, it would be cylinder head temperature. The Dakota Digital one is temperature compensated to read consistently in different ambient temps. I had a sensor go after about 5 years of driving by this gauge and felt lost without it, I had to baby it. keep it under 400* and your bus will be a happy camper. Wink Ideally you want to modify your head for the thermocoupler ring like this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

69Weekender wrote:
... Repainted the valve covers a metallic silver for a little pop, put the new seals on ...

Black will shed heat faster than silver.
For valvel cover gaskets: Clean both the inside lip of the cover and the cylinder head. Use Hylomar on one side of a cork gasket and put that into the valve cover. Put grease on the other side of the gasket. Slide the valve cover around on the grease a bit as you fasten the bail.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Hello viewers, it has been a few weeks. But I have come bearing updates!
I fiberglassed the cancer rust holes on the back deack after I Rustoleum painted the area. I followed that with some real deal fat mat and called it a day.

I got my front shocks in the mail a couple days ago:

Lined up next to the old, squeaky ones:

Installed:

While the wheels were off, I sanded and painted them gloss black.
Before:

After:

Got a new mirror for the driver side and it kept breaking so I JB Welded it and it didn't work. So what I did was take the new mirror out, glued it to the old mirror housing and pained the now silver parts silver.
Took my bus to the movies last night and when I came out.... A fellow lemon parked next to me! This Pinto was SUPER clean.

Still to come.... a few more parts for the front end then off to my trusted mechanic to press in the new ball joints. Linda should be handling purty dang good in a couple weeks. Tires will be ordered this week, probably going with 185r14 Hankook RA08s as I have read many good things about them. The price tag makes me :2gunfire: though.

I have been driving the bus a lot lately and I have to say, the engine is running smooth as silk, 60 all day long. We are supposed to get some waves on Monday so I'll be taking Linda on a surf trek!

Talk to you all soon!
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Check the date on the rubber hose. If it is older than 10yr old time to relplace them.

Looking good
Tcash
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Check the date on the rubber hose. If it is older than 10yr old time to relplace them.

Yea, they're old and cracking, new ones have already been ordered.
Past:
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Last weekend I replaced one brake line that had been crimped with a lock wrench Laughing
Also cracked open the drum to replace the wheel cylinder. Ran into some issues with that.....I don't own a 46mm socket so dad and I had to improvise.....

Also, we bought a 1/4 inch think steel bar, drilled two holes in it to bolt into the hub, place the wrench on the bolt, and took our "hitch mount Thule bike rack" and slid it over the wrench for more leverage. After both my dad and I pushing up on the wreck, it cracked loose!
I give you the opened brake drum!

Rear shocks came in:

Stabilizer link:

Left and Right tie rods:

And some nice interior pieces my old man cut and stained while i rebuilt the front end (He did the slider door panel too but I don't have pictures of that....next time):
Hatch panel

Past:
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Here's a useful tool for the retaining springs on the shoes.

I'm surprised you were able to get the axle nut loose with a crescent wrench. Here's the tool for that.
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=23470
Available from other sources also. Usually used with a breaker bar and 5 foot cheater pipe.

We'll assume the fluid stains at the bottom are from liquid wrench on the star adjusters. Reassemble them with anti-sieze and don't break the clips. The shoes look meaty and they and the cylinder look usable, but replace the rubber brake line to the cylinders. A flare nut wrench and liquid wrench will be your friends. Vise grips will be your last hope. Don't break off the bleeders. Don't throw away any old parts until you have 1000 miles on the new parts.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Tom Powell - the shoes are so meaty Bc the brake line had been crimped by a lock wrench for at least 10 years Laughing
I know there's a tool, just didn't want to spend the money and my pops and I wanted to do the brakes that day. The crescent wrench is at least 5 lbs and about a foot long, plus the bike rack added another yard.
The fluid was actually brake cleaner and some PB blaster for the big axle nut.

Update coming soon
Past:
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Hold the phone, there is a tool for the retaining springs? No shit. I would pay $1,000 for that tool holy cow. If I had a nickel for ever time I've cursed at those retainers, I'd be rich enough to buy that tool.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Hold the phone, there is a tool for the retaining springs? No shit. I would pay $1,000 for that tool holy cow. If I had a nickel for ever time I've cursed at those retainers, I'd be rich enough to buy that tool.

I can get that from Home Depot for $8.97
http://www.homedepot.com/s/brake%2520spring%2520retaining%2520tool?NCNI-5
How about if I send you one and you can use PayPal for the $1000. If that's not the deal for you, you can borrow the one I gave to Gary.

Aloha
tp
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Couple little updates
I started the process or cleaning up the cab area.
I took out the passenger seat, stripped, sanded, Evaporusted and bed linered the butt part. I gave the back a little wet sand to clean er up too.

The Body Work Has Begun!
I decided to start on something easy....the bumpers.
Took them off, stripped them bare, discovered bondo (wasn't a suprise actually), bought a body panel repair kit, hammered/dollied until my neighbors came and told me to stop (it was midnight) I was in my closed garage though, I'm not that bad of a guy.

If anyone has any info on that trailer hitch thing please let me know. It's welded onto the back of the bumper and wraps around. I can provide more pics. Old ACVW guy said to me "Hang on to that, don't get rid of it." That is why I am asking.

Buddy of mine had his 69 bug's rear seat lying around and I picked it up for cheap. I already have my plans on how I am going to mount it up. Might tackle that this weekend if my work schedule permits.

Interior shot:
[/b]
Past:
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

69Weekender wrote:
... If anyone has any info on that trailer hitch thing please let me know. It's welded onto the back of the bumper and wraps around. I can provide more pics. Old ACVW guy said to me "Hang on to that, don't get rid of it." That is why I am asking. ...

My opinion about trailer hitches:
Don't tow a trailer with a bay window. You'll burn up the clutch or transmission. A trailer hitch on a bay window is useful for a mounting a bike rack. Keep it.

Aloha
tp
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:

Don't tow a trailer with a bay window. You'll burn up the clutch or transmission. A trailer hitch on a bay window is useful for a mounting a bike rack. Keep it.
Aloha
tp

Trust me, I did not plan on towing anything with her. She's slow enough as is.
I think it looks good though and adds a little protection in the event of getting rear ended.
Past:
cbaucom1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

It's looking like a camper! Nothing better than sitting at your little table in the back of the bus, by the beach.

...and I bet it was nice to have all that squeaking disappear after putting on those new shocks. I know it was on mine Very Happy
cbaucom1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

69Weekender wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:

Aloha
tp

Trust me, I did not plan on towing anything with her. She's slow enough as is.
I think it looks good though and adds a little protection in the event of getting rear ended.

Aren't there some small old lightweight trailers that couldn't be much worse to tow than to give a couple of fat dudes a ride. Like the Allstate or Sears ones.
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

cbaucom1 wrote:
It's looking like a camper! Nothing better than sitting at your little table in the back of the bus, by the beach.
...and I bet it was nice to have all that squeaking disappear after putting on those new shocks. I know it was on mine Very Happy

Oh you have no idea how glad i was when the squeaking disappeared. It actually drives really nice now.

I spend every weekend at the beach eating on the table with the sun going down. I am living the dream!

As for the trailers, I have no idea. I don't really plan on ever using one though.
Past:
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

First breakdown! It was bound to happen so I'm not too mad.

My dad took apart the driver side drum when I was at work and found that everything inside was destroyed and the hardline going into the back was sheared.......ordered all new parts. The drum is slightly scored on the back, but not where it connects with the shoes.

Also ordered two new axles so that will be good because the current ones are really bad.
Past:
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

So, what happened? looks like the bearing gave and the drum managed to push the shoes around.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
So, what happened? looks like the bearing gave and the drum managed to push the shoes around.

Ya know, I am really not 100% sure. The bus like wouldn't move more than six inches.
I started a thread "Spun Drum?" where i described the problem
Past:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: