Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 California Camper
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

So this past Saturday (1/23/16) I took out the $3,000 I'd been saving up to go and buy a bus I had only seen pictures of. It was 35 minutes from my house and it was exactly what I have been endlessly searching for for months.
I have wanted a bus probably my entire life and now i have one!
Here's the story:
My dad and I get to the sellers house and he was a great guy. He told me all about his 19 years with the bus and how he was extremely sad to part with it.
I told him I would take extrordindary care of "Linda."
This was the first car I bought with my own, hard earned cash so I have extreme pride in every rust hole, squeak, noise and quirk in my bus.
I plan to restore this bus as originally as I can. It has A LOT of rust but the frame is the best I've seen on a bus, it cruises 50-55 all day long, stops as good as its three drum brakes (one brake line is crimped) will let it and the interior is about 90% complete.
Anyways, here she is! I hope everyone here enjoys looking at her as much as I do!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by 69Weekender on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Awesome! Your smile says it all. Welcome to the fun world of bus ownership. You will love it!
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

How old are those tires? Likely not something you really should be trusting your life to.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba!

1969 wiring changes

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

TCASH - Thanks brother!
71Survivor - I am so stoked about this bus!
Wildthings - To tell you the truth, I have no idea. I couldn't find a date code anywhere. Shocked There is no dry rot and the tread is next to perfect so I hope I don't have to replace them right away. The PO gave me a spare tire too and I think that tire is about as old as the bus! Laughing

As the week progresses, I am going to find time in between school and practice to go through the electrics, tires, fluid levels and hopefully make her to school on Friday! Very Happy
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

So I got up early yesterday before work and started to do some minor deconstruction and some cleaning.

I started using BlueMagic leather and vinyl cleaner and followed it with their conditioner. The seat behind the driver's seat (if someone could give me the proper name for it that would be great!) was extremely dirty so i also hit it with some Purple Power and a light brush.

Then I was testing out the maneuverability of the z-bed. It was super hard to get it to recline even a little bit so I decided to unscrew the hinges from the bottom part of the seat and pulled out the top and hinges for a cleaning, sanding, painting and regreasing.

As I was taking off the hinges I noticed three different screws being used. Confused
I am assuming the long bronze-ish on is the right one.Also, how many screws are supposed to be attached on each side and where can i buy new ones?

Yes I know it is stripped.
72camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

69Weekender wrote:
The seat behind the driver's seat (if someone could give me the proper name for it that would be great!)....

I can only help here and that seat would be known as the jump seat.
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

72camper wrote:
69Weekender wrote:
The seat behind the driver's seat (if someone could give me the proper name for it that would be great!)....

I can only help here and that seat would be known as the jump seat.

Ah gotcha, awesome! Thank you!
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Other ICE Machinery: Alco 251F 16v & 8v
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Your shorter flat head screw is probably the original, but maybe not a single one is. I really don't know. Most hardware stores have quite the selection of wood and sheet metal screws these days, you just have to be willing to pull out a lot of drawers to see what is hidden on the shelves. It is quite possible that some of you holes have been stripped so you will end up with more than one diameter screw which since the larger screws will also have larger screwheads can possibly cause problems.

It looks to me like your tires are probably P185/75r14 tires (or something close to that size) which are way underrated for a bus and especially if they are very old could fail all to readily.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Welcome to the air cooled life!
Change those fuel lines and work on your rock-paper-scissors skillz.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Wildthings - That's what i was going to do if I could not find originals. I'll measure the thread pitch when i get home. Also, the tires are 195/75/14. What do you mean by underrated?
Bala - Why the rock, paper, scissor skills lol?

In other news: I am going to Harbor Freight today to 1) Apply for a second job 2) Buy a flux welder, welding googles, POR15, cheap paintbrushes, angle grinder (maybe), and some clear silicone as a temporary fix until i can get ahold of some new seals.

I am also going to try and finish cleaning the two z-bed cushions. Once those are clean, I will degrease, sand, paint and regrease the hinges. Hopefully I can have it installed buy the weekend!
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

69Weekender wrote:

Bala - Why the rock, paper, scissor skills lol?

Just messin' with ya.

Try to keep your bus "on the road" while you're working on it. It will help keep your motivation level up!
Before you spend too much time on that Z-bed, have you thought about trying to find an original westy interior? If that's the direction you want to go...

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

I got my child's cot from BD. $80 gets it.
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Bala - Wow lol, that went right over my head. Great joke! I've been driving it around my neighborhood without a plate just becuase it is so fun.
I would like to keep the bus in the most original state that I can. That being siad, I do not really want to completely swap the interior. Plus, it is in such great condition, there is no sense in changing it!

72camper - Thanks for the input!
Past:
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Its rock paper scissors lizard Spock, anyhow.

Some people here just can't keep up.

Congratulations on your new van....I mean Bus, OP

(Cue cartoon link someone - I can't find it)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

69Weekender wrote:
Wildthings - That's what i was going to do if I could not find originals. I'll measure the thread pitch when i get home. Also, the tires are 195/75/14. What do you mean by underrated?

Tires are only designed to carry so much weight. You wouldn't expect to see the tire designed for a Smart Car installed on a semi. Your present tires have a load index of 92 which means they are only designed to handle 1389# in passenger car use or 1264# when derated for MPV/light truck use, while your weight rating is going to require a stronger tire. A P205/70R14XL (load index 98 ) or P215/70R14 (load index 96) will meet the load requirements of your vehicle, but many people think you need to go even stronger and use a 185R14C truck tire or even something heavier. There are also 195/75R14LT (LR 96) tires that will meet your needs, these tires are available in a more aggressive tread.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Its rock paper scissors lizard Spock, anyhow.

Some people here just can't keep up.

Congratulations on your new van....I mean Bus, OP

(Cue cartoon link someone - I can't find it)

http://www.samkass.com/theories/RPSSL.html

Couldn't find the cartoon link either and waiting for help.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

69Weekender wrote:
... I am going to Harbor Freight today to ... Buy ... and some clear silicone as a temporary fix until i can get ahold of some new seals. ...

There are better sealants than silicone and silicone can cause future paint problems. Do a search for sealants for windshield gaskets and you'll find better products and helpful recommendations. If I recall Ray Greenwood has some excellent comments.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

The Tire Sticky

http://blog.cochran.com/wordpress/index.php/how-to-read-tire-sidewall-information/
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

I love your bus and your enthusiasm. I wouldn't change the interior either, just restore it and get everything looking and working like it should. You are going to have a blast with this bus. Just please do everything with safety in mind.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: