Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Baja build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

I decided to make a progress page for my Baja bug. I'm at the point where im about to start putting it back together. I'm getting a 10" long travel beam and 3x3 trailing arms. I'm putting a cage in it and big tires. I'm going to enter this into races across arazona and then eventually build more bugs to race in bigger races. This is my first build as I am 17 and its funded by me and me only. Mommy and daddy don't help me on this. My dad lives half way across the country so I have bought all of my tools and parts over the last year! This is a big learning experience and it takes lots of patience to learn new things, but it's all part of the journey!!
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Looks like you're off to a good start so far. What's your goal for a time to get it done?
Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

GoMopar440 wrote:
Looks like you're off to a good start so far. What's your goal for a time to get it done?

Just to get it running then put the fiberglass kit on it. Make the welds for the holes that I cut out from rust. Clean up and go through the engine and transmission. And of course the small things, seats gauges ect.

Once that's all done I'll put 3x3 trailing arms build a cage new cv's, rims/ tires thinking 30's get the conversion link pin beam with 10" towers and rack and pinion stearing ( still trying to figure out how to instal this on a bug) make a fuel safe fuel cell, plexiglass all round, removable on the front. Not sure if I want to make it street legal and push twords a class 5 unlimited bug, I need to look up the rules at MVD first.
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

GoMopar440 wrote:

I'm hoping to get it running and have the cage built around April. Then begin to instal the long travel kit and other parts. Very doable considering I (by myself) striped the whole car and removed the whole car to bare metal with a grinder and paint stripping wheel! And made all of the cuts for rust and removed the engine.
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Made some progress today. I got my engine on a stand and started tearing it apart. Pressure plate came off along with the clutch. Next is buying new parts across the engine.
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Can someone tell me what this numbering is? I have A 1969 Volkswagen bug, does the 1979 mean it was taken out of that your bug? The Vin numbers don't match either.

BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Made some progress today, got the Pistons out and cleaned them.

I need to order a gasket kit preferably one with pushrod tubes and a rear main seal any ideas? Don't want to spend a fortune
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

As long as there are no cracks or corrosion on or in the tubes you can reuse them. There is a spec in the VW repair manual you are supposed to stretch them back out to before reinstalling them so they seal up properly.

As far as gaskets, I was told to only buy the German kits as most of the china/taiwan stuff sucks. They're only a couple bucks more last time I looked. I haven't used most of the German gasket kit I got not long ago, just a few pieces I needed to address when I first got my rail. I never bought the china/taiwan kits, so I don't have any first hand experience with them. I just based my purchase on what I read here. I'll have a better opinion of them soon as I'm currently working on refreshing a T3 engine and converting it to upright cooling for the rail in my sig.

I haven't ordered a rear main seal yet, so I'm not going to be any help there.
Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

GoMopar440 wrote:
As long as there are no cracks or corrosion on or in the tubes you can reuse them. There is a spec in the VW repair manual you are supposed to stretch them back out to before reinstalling them so they seal up properly.

As far as gaskets, I was told to only buy the German kits as most of the china/taiwan stuff sucks. They're only a couple bucks more last time I looked. I haven't used most of the German gasket kit I got not long ago, just a few pieces I needed to address when I first got my rail. I never bought the china/taiwan kits, so I don't have any first hand experience with them. I just based my purchase on what I read here. I'll have a better opinion of them soon as I'm currently working on refreshing a T3 engine and converting it to upright cooling for the rail in my sig.

I haven't ordered a rear main seal yet, so I'm not going to be any help there.

Thanks man, I just ordered a gasket kit, didn't include a rear main seal, but it did include 8 pushrod tubes. Cost me $30 and it had 50 reviews and the reviews summed up to a "4.9/5.0". For the price and review you can't beat it! Going to order piston rings and rear main seal next. I believe for the 1300 it would be 77 mm rings. How would I go about measuring my Pistons. I tried researching, but lots of mixed information. After that clutch and flywheel. Don't know if a pressure plate is something to be replaced? Doesn't look beat up. Anyone have their $00.02?! Any help is appreciated Laughing
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Measure the pistons with a scale/ruler or a caliper /micrometer if you have one. 1mm increments are big you'll be able to tell what you have.

Unless your clutch is in bad shape, I would run it (flywheel/friction disc/pressure plate) as is and unless it slips. Save your money for now. It's easy to do a clutch later on these cars if you do find out it's a problem. Clean the flywheel and pressure plate with brake cleaner (friction disc may not like chemical cleaning), make sure you have a good transmission seal and engine rear main seal (flywheel seal) to keep oil from getting on your clutch
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

sailtexas186548 wrote:
Measure the pistons with a scale/ruler or a caliper /micrometer if you have one. 1mm increments are big you'll be able to tell what you have.

Unless your clutch is in bad shape, I would run it (flywheel/friction disc/pressure plate) as is and unless it slips. Save your money for now. It's easy to do a clutch later on these cars if you do find out it's a problem. Clean the flywheel and pressure plate with brake cleaner (friction disc may not like chemical cleaning), make sure you have a good transmission seal and engine rear main seal (flywheel seal) to keep oil from getting on your clutch

Good info thanks for the help. Also I was looking at the engine/Vin reference sheets and my engine starts with an F and I can't find a single reference sheet that says what size the case is. If your engine vin starts with an F. I would like to know and can't seem to figure it out…
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Looks like u have an F0 case so it's a:

F0, F1, F2 1966-1970 1300cc 40bhp DIN, 50HP SAE (only 1966 in USA, 66-70 elsewhere)

According to this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Check out this link here on The Samba:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php

From the list on this link I get:
F0 = 1966-1970, 1300, 40bhp DIN, 50HP SAE, Type 1 (only 1966 in USA, 66-70 elsewhere)

EDIT: LOL! looks like someone beat me to it while I was looking up the link.
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Cool thanks guys. Clutch and pressure plate will stay in the car, engine gasket kit is on the way. Anyone have ideas for paint? Since it's a Baja bug and it will be beat up I'm not doing body work. Have the fiberglass front end and rear end. Once I get the gasket kit I'm going to rebuild the engine and finish any welds on the car. Then paint rewrite and run it. Next is drive an hour to Tucson and get a cage. Good thing the store I found is located close to me or the shipping for the cage would be an extra $150!!!! Pics and updates coming soon! Any idea where I should go to get some scrap metal for fender wells and luggage compartment?
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

I would like to do a high build primer since no body work will be done, thinking of a grey or white base. And I'm getting rid of the whole dash is it hard to wire up a better looking speedometer to the existing speedo cable? Looking to put a speedo gauge taco gauge and a few other basic ones.
DHale_510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Paint, specifically cheap Baja Bug paint;
1. Rattle can Krylon. Easiest way to paint and repaint. Use several light coats and avoid drips.
2. Hammertone spray from a rattle can or better yet from a paint gun. About three times as durable as common paint it seems.
3. Tractor paint. Good old single stage enamel left over from before the do-gooders took it all away and forced poisonous Urethane on us in the name of safety. Don't tell them about it.

Speedometer;
If you are really going for long travel stuff, you will not want a hollow spindle and cable drive speedometer. Lots of electronic choices now days, some using a speedo drive on transmissions or CV joint sender, others using the GPS satellite system. Cheapest is likely a little Road direction toy attached to the dash instead of a real speedometer.

Cage;
Any real long travel system will need more than a kit cage. The anchors for the shocks and springs will require most of a full tube frame type build. Do not cut corners with the cage or the shocks, "Upgrades" will cost way more than doing it all once.
A 3" longer front trailing arm [to get that longer travel] usually requires the beam to be relocated 3" farther forward to keep the tires away from the body. This means a tube frame type build, not a bolt on.
A long/ wide Baja has little fender well, the rears are outboard of the originals just fine [3 x 3 means 3" farther out], the fronts are mostly gone with a one piece nose.
Most cars of this type have the fuel tank in the rear deck area, maybe even the oil cooler and air filters. The deck becomes a fabricated thing from flat sheet stock, but replacement decks perfectly matching stock ones are available if you wish to go that way too.

Engine'
Your engine is not stock. The dual port heads are newer and look pretty good, but the stock rocker arms need to be redone with shims and bolts rather than the springy things. The 79 is a factory casting mold ID, but they are VW heads which is good. They are probably about 1974 vintage but it really doesn't matter, all VW dual ports use the same valves. The pulley seems small, this reduces cooling air to the engine. Not good in Aridzona. The 009 type distributor is probably pretty good. A Pertronix or Compufire upgrade will make it much better. The newer style diaphragm clutch is good. The oil filter/ oil pump is OK but will probably go away when you convert to more oil cooler than stock. You will want the dog house type cooler and shroud some time too.

Dennis
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

man, quit dropping oil all over the concrete and stepping in it...
BryceSegatto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

DHale_510 wrote:
Paint, specifically cheap Baja Bug paint;
1. Rattle can Krylon. Easiest way to paint and repaint. Use several light coats and avoid drips.
2. Hammertone spray from a rattle can or better yet from a paint gun. About three times as durable as common paint it seems.
3. Tractor paint. Good old single stage enamel left over from before the do-gooders took it all away and forced poisonous Urethane on us in the name of safety. Don't tell them about it.

Speedometer;
If you are really going for long travel stuff, you will not want a hollow spindle and cable drive speedometer. Lots of electronic choices now days, some using a speedo drive on transmissions or CV joint sender, others using the GPS satellite system. Cheapest is likely a little Road direction toy attached to the dash instead of a real speedometer.

Cage;
Any real long travel system will need more than a kit cage. The anchors for the shocks and springs will require most of a full tube frame type build. Do not cut corners with the cage or the shocks, "Upgrades" will cost way more than doing it all once.
A 3" longer front trailing arm [to get that longer travel] usually requires the beam to be relocated 3" farther forward to keep the tires away from the body. This means a tube frame type build, not a bolt on.
A long/ wide Baja has little fender well, the rears are outboard of the originals just fine [3 x 3 means 3" farther out], the fronts are mostly gone with a one piece nose.
Most cars of this type have the fuel tank in the rear deck area, maybe even the oil cooler and air filters. The deck becomes a fabricated thing from flat sheet stock, but replacement decks perfectly matching stock ones are available if you wish to go that way too.

Engine'
Your engine is not stock. The dual port heads are newer and look pretty good, but the stock rocker arms need to be redone with shims and bolts rather than the springy things. The 79 is a factory casting mold ID, but they are VW heads which is good. They are probably about 1974 vintage but it really doesn't matter, all VW dual ports use the same valves. The pulley seems small, this reduces cooling air to the engine. Not good in Aridzona. The 009 type distributor is probably pretty good. A Pertronix or Compufire upgrade will make it much better. The newer style diaphragm clutch is good. The oil filter/ oil pump is OK but will probably go away when you convert to more oil cooler than stock. You will want the dog house type cooler and shroud some time too.

Dennis

Thanks, lots of help! I plan on getting the cage installed and then building off of it. The place I am getting it from just supplies the chromolly tubes that are already pre-bent and you weld them in. I am going to build off of the existing cage to go towards the front and the rear to cage the engine and the front end. I've seen a few class five bugs with the link pin beams with the 10 inch long travel arms, and I have also seen the front end beams that are made to go on a Sandrail. What do you guys think of the two? benefits? Non-benefits? I like the idea of tractor paint and sorts of things like that. I will look into it. The engine seems to be in pretty good shape, once I get this thing caged and bigger tires I am going to switch to a 1600 motor. I was thinking about installing a set of my own electronic radiator type fans that will blow on the engine any suggestions on that? And I know the oil was pretty bad.… I got it all cleaned up now I just didn't want to keep cleaning it when I was going to make more of a mess in the long run. I'm going to buy Ipock seat to do my whole garage.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja build Reply with quote

Quote:
I am going to switch to a 1600 motor

Your engine case started out as a 1966 1300 engine. This is essentially the same as a 1500 case. It has probably been a 1600 for decades. The barrels slip into the 1300 case with a $30 bore of the cylinder holes. The heads are 1600 heads anyway. At this point there is little difference between an engine originally an early 1600 and yours. AS41 dual relief cases have larger oil passages, but thousands of high performance VW engines with the early style oil passages have been built and used successfully over the last 4 decades. The bigger passages are better, but far from necessary.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: