Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has anyone ever seen a VW aircooled motor in a bike?
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWGeoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Has anyone ever seen a VW aircooled motor in a bike? Reply with quote

Just thinking (or running in neutral). Has anyone ever seen a VW aircooled motor in a bike mounted in a fore and aft config. That is, take the motor and rotate it 90 degrees so the cylinders are inline, pointing front and back. Then you could put a standard sprocket on the output shaft and use an off the shelf tranny. It would make the bike long, but you would save space on the tranny.

As I said, running in neutral.

Thanks,

Geoff
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone ever.....? Reply with quote

I think the 3/4 (rear facing) cylinders will be shielded from fresh air and overheat.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NWGeoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone ever.....? Reply with quote

I think that is an engineering issue that could be fixed without too much thrash, a couple of scoops or a ducted fan.

I'm trying to get around the transmission issue. Willis is out of business and those /2 trannies are pretty long in the tooth, whereas I can buy a 6 speed with reverse right off the shelf.

Geoff
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone ever.....? Reply with quote

I play with VW powered motorcycles. I like your enthusiasm.

I think your idea of the fore and aft would just be too complicated. BUT! You would be the only one with one would be my guess.

Here is one of my bikes at idle. It is an Amazonas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DoE5NGSDwU

On Yahoo Groups there is a site dedicated just to VW powered Motorcycles.

"vwmotorcycles"

Butterfields, Willis 4's, Browns, Hamms, Burkey

None in your configuration tho.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

ooweel
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone ever.....? Reply with quote

I have seen one on a forum somewhere. I can not remember where though.
It was claimed that it got enough air. But it does not look like it would.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone ever.....? Reply with quote

Took the old 1600cc Kick Start only bike out to lunch today.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone ever.....? Reply with quote

you'd really be disrupting the cooling airflow through the cylinders running the motor sideways and would need to totally reconfigure the tins to get enough cooling air. I think you would really need to up the volume of air forced/ drawn through the cylinders that way.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone ever.....? Reply with quote

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone ever.....? Reply with quote

http://thekneeslider.com/dragwaye-1300cc-vw-powered-motorcycle-dragster/

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone ever.....? Reply with quote

Not a VW engine, but an air cooled aircraft flat four.

2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone ever.....? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Anyone know how the power gets to the rear wheel? I'm guessing no transmission, just crank to rear wheel thru some clutch mechanism?

Honest Charlie made small Ford Flat head motorcycles using the flat head era small trans that they would weld it into third gear so you had a clutch and a gear to spin the rear wheel.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone ever.....? Reply with quote

2weel wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Anyone know how the power gets to the rear wheel? I'm guessing no transmission, just crank to rear wheel thru some clutch mechanism?

Honest Charlie made small Ford Flat head motorcycles using the flat head era small trans that they would weld it into third gear so you had a clutch and a gear to spin the rear wheel.
The bike in the pic looks like it might have an old 4 speed transmission from a Harley Davidson. Looks like a mostly stock Harley frame too.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: