Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kubel Treffen East 2016
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

We'll be there, coming from Athens, TN! Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Cliff and Janet Waugaman from Greensburg, Pa., a little bit east of Pittsburgh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

I really, really want to come. My wife may come as well.

I have a conundrum. I won't drive Thing that far if the running hot issue isn't solved. I do have a tow bar but I haven't used it yet to get confidence in going that distance driving a tandem. That would be the only realistic way of having Thing heads being able to take a look at it in person. (The only thing I don't have for towing is TTS bra to help protect the front end from being chipped away.)

We would be coming from Baltimore County if coming from home, but I work south of DC and may be leaving straight from there. Figuring that out is small potatoes compared to the above.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Hope you can come, I have a Thing Shop bra, very well made, but considering the shape of our cars, a few of the bendable tabs would loosen over time and speed on the highway. Got a few tiny super magnets to hold it all in place during the actual trip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

I've never towed my thing with a tow bar but I've towed two different beetles that way without drama. I can't imagine you'd have any trouble. I didn't know TTS had a bra, that's a good idea.

Me and my wife will be coming from Decatur Illinois.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Tow bar is gravy as long as you make sure of a few things.

use Safety chains
Use a decent bar (mine attached to the Thing's front axle bar with pins think it was a EMPI bar.
get some good lights and a "Thing in tow" sign
Make sure you can do a hard left or right turn without your bumper hitting the THING. (so get a tow hitch extension if needed).
On the tow truck, I added a big (rv type) mud flap thing to keep my truck from sandblasting the front of the thing. worked pretty good too, I believe there is a post somewhere with photos..

ON the THING
Disconnect the battery
turn the key on
put it in nutral
remove any "heavy" shifter heads (I did so a hard bump wouldn't thro it in gear).
put a bungee on the steering wheel with some slack.
Don't back up, you can but you can also twist your tow bar and do damage to the THING. I was able to back up slowly and a little distance but I believe I tweaked my tow bar doing this.
Learned the hard way!

I covered my front end of the THING with Blue painters tape to minimize rock chips, tar, bugs etc.

Check Thing's transmission for nutral at every stop.

used this method and Tow bar'd my 73 THING to:
Hiawassee, Ga (at least 1000k miles round trip)
Branson, Mo (about 2100k miles round trip)
Tipp city, Oh (about 1000k miles round trip).
all from Virginia, that Branson trip with the longest I've ever been.

The only gripe I had was cost, I had to keep my old "towing truck" up to snuff to handle the out of state trips pulling the THING, it started getting expensive, that last Tipp City trip cost me $700 in new tires and repairs just to be able to tow & go...to spend more money!

But It was nice seeing yall again! Very Happy

Other than that, Tow baring was fine, i'd tow bar it now if I hadn't sold my truck, the new one don't have a tow hitch, and it's a V6 F150, my other was a inline 6 F150. Didn't like WestVa mountains very much. 1st gear @ 15mph!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8

Last edited by doublecanister on Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Painters tape is a great Idea! I've also used plasti dip aerosol as a temp "bra"...(I've got it on the forward surfaces of my rear fenders for chip protection..)
Wax Thing real well on the forward surface, and then spray the plasti dip on... When the trip is over(they have clear you could leave on for the whole journey), just peel the plasti dip off! Wink Easy peesy!

Double canister has some Great info above! Not sure my longest tow bar trip, but it is amazing how well it works!

Hope to see y'all there! Cool
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
Painters tape is a great Idea! I've also used plasti dip aerosol as a temp "bra"...(I've got it on the forward surfaces of my rear fenders for chip protection..)
Wax Thing real well on the forward surface, and then spray the plasti dip on... When the trip is over(they have clear you could leave on for the whole journey), just peel the plasti dip off! Wink Easy peesy!

Double canister has some Great info above! Not sure my longest tow bar trip, but it is amazing how well it works!

Hope to see y'all there! Cool

Clear plasti-dip and wax? dern that does sound like a good idea!
That blue tape works but it aint cheap. Actually on one trip I used some cardboard to cover the windshield and blue taped the crap out of it.

That's why I made the big mud flap contraption on my tow truck, kinda like they use one RV's, to keep the tow vehicle from slinging crap on the thing.
I left that out on my last post!!

will try a re-edit.
T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

I read all (well, most) of the towing threads, so I feel decent about trying it if it comes to that. I have rolls of bubble wrap and painters tape when I was going to tote Thing behind TiggeR for the engine uproar, er, upgrade. I chickened out. I paid for a tow (reimbursed by my insurance company).

Plasti-dip? Easy peasy? Sounds like an eff-up waiting to happen with me at the helm. Buying a bra for only towing is an extravagance. So is feeling better. I already bought wire guards for the headlights, although those are going on pseudo-permanently once I install the LEDs for the H4s.

I have gotten better at towing a regular trailer. Since I won't be backing up with Thing attached, I feel better about towing Thing if it came to that. (The show's deadline is fast approaching so I have to decide quickly.)
Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Oasis I am in Harford County,
i am planning on heading to the show but not sure on details yet.

I am very familiar with tow bars if your in need of assistance.

Send me a message if you need anything.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Hyatt181 wrote:
Oasis I am in Harford County,
i am planning on heading to the show but not sure on details yet.

I am very familiar with tow bars if your in need of assistance.

Send me a message if you need anything.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. Cool
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Tempus Fugit !

Just 7 days left until the pre-registration deadline for Kubel Treffen East 2016 !

I've been told that there is some discussion on Facebook between people who plan to attend.
I don't use Facebook, so I'm counting on receiving those registration forms to keep track of "Things".

So please print out those forms, fill them in, and mail them to me as soon as you can.

As I have already mentioned, this year's Kubel Treffen promises to be even better than last year's.

I hope to see y'all there!
Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Hotel reservations confirmed! Wink
With life being what it's been for us since Jan, I had an odd feeling that I hadn't made the room booking yet..... Sure glad I called, because I had indeed NOT booked the room...... Rolling Eyes

My tow rig is back in service, and I'm getting some wiring cleaned up on
Our Thing before the trip! Super excited to be a part of KTE again! Wink
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

So far cars coming from 13 states.
Let's keep it going !
Please send in those registration forms and get ready for a fun weekend Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vitaminc914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Got my reservation yesterday I'll be coming from Grand Rapids Michigan. If I have my 73 sold, I'll be bringing my 74. Most likely I'll be towing. As an FYI if any of you have a government discount, your hotel rate drops to $89.
Looking forward to my first event!

1974 Porsche 914/2.0 (Owned since 1988)
1966 Bug Sedan
1978 Westy
1976 Westy (sold)
1975 Bug Convertible (sold)
1979 Bug Convertible (Epilogue) (sold)
1977 Bug Convertible (sold)
1973 Thing x2 (sold)
1974 Thing (Avocado Green) (sold)
1972 Porsche 914 V8 (sold)
1973 Porsche 914/1.7 (project) (sold)
1988 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (sold)
1985 Porsche 944 (sold)
1980 Porsche 928 (sold)
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Ray-
Glad to have another Michigan car!
Please print out the form posted earlier and mail it in.

I'm looking forward to meeting you, have a safe trip.
Mondshine
sburton66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Scott Burton from Jonesboro AR will be there just made hotel reservations and the pre registation is in the mail.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

We would love to go. It would be great if others from Norther Virginia were going also so we could all convoy!!! Anyone in NOVA or surrounding area interested?
Gene Kisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

If you are coming from northern VA the trip would be much more enjoyable traveling Interstate 68 to Morgantown, south on Interstate 79 twenty miles, then US 50 to Athens OH, and US 33 to Columbus, then Interstate 70 to Dayton.
Believe me, the less time you spend on I 70 the better. It is one hateful road. The route I suggested is a very nice drive, Interstate quality roads with one tenth the traffic. Ten miles south of Morgantown is Fairmont WV. I will be traveling from Fairmont on Friday. If you are interested we could convoy. I travel that exact route several times a year, both in a car and a large diesel motorhome. It is a very pleasant trip, actually faster than I 70.
Gene Kisner 74 Acapulco 304-657-9740
[email protected] if you send e-mail please show Kubel Treffen in the subject since I do not open e-mail from unknown senders.
herewego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Mailed off my registration form yesterday -- planning to tow from Milwaukee since my wife and daughter will probably come.

I have a tow bar, chains, lights, etc. and I'm comfortable towing in general. Question -- would there be any advantage to towing with a (rental) tow dolly rather than flat towing, in terms of safety, wear and tear on the Thing, or other factors?

Looking forward to the event. Thanks to all involved in organizing it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: