Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kubel Treffen East 2016
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Please try to make it, Mondshine

I will. It is on thee worst weekend as far as my work duties and deadlines are concerned, but it has been years since I have been to a VW show of any kind. Taking Friday off is 98% problematic but I may be able to leave early directly from work. Taking Monday off is 99.9% problematic, so an early Sunday leave to get back would be my most likely scenario.

My Thing is not a show car but it is nice and it's to the point I feel comfortable driving it anywhere.

I will look into all of the logistics this weekend. Thanks.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Kubel Treffen is a showing of Things and not a show of "Show Things". We like Things in any shape or form. We have had rolling pans, cars in bare metal, and one in primer pulled in with a golf cart. Drive it, tow it, pull it we like them all. Unlike VW shows your whole weekend is planned for you. Hotel, meals, show, sight seeing and at a hotel that if you want to take a break your room is there and kids can be in the pool. This show was started in 1993 in Asheville NC and has been in Bardstown KY, Hawassee GA, Dover DE, Branson MO. and Dayton OH.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

I had one guy tell me he told his daughter she could not have her wedding on that weekend in July.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Oasis-
Ron's right. This will not be like Pebble Beach.
By July, I should have a pretty thick coating of bugs & dirt, so come as you are.

Where are you from (just generally)?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Baltimore County.

Even after 18 years, I can't tell my work to screw with their deadlines and release dates. No respect, I tell ya. Then again, if my daughter decided to get married on that weekend, I'd have to wait until next year to come. I missed a national tournament to visit her in Spain on spring break a few years ago. My team members weren't thrilled but it was the right decision.

The new engine install is working out nicely. The weather has been schizo, so I haven't driven it as much as I would normally like. It now starts right up after weeks of inactivity, and I have confidence driving it anywhere (although DC to work has been its longest venture to date).

I will have to swap its full convertible top back on just in case of weather. The Bimini (bikini) top will leave me too vulnerable. I also have a long laundry list of stuff I want to do -- none of them dependent for me to go, but it does give me a self-imposed deadline.

Thing-wise, I have a lot to learn. Coming to a Thing-specific show is high on my want-to list.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Well I do hope you can make it!
Last month, I mailed a letter to Senator Richard Burr (R) of N.Carolina with our flyers enclosed.
He's known for driving his Thing around Washington.
Maybe you can caravan with him if he drives in from DC.
(Actually, I'll be happy if the FBI doesn't show up on my porch Shocked )
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelwagener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

I am interested in driving my Thing to this, I will be coming from Clarksburg, WV area. Anyone else thinking of going, in the WV/southwestern PA/Northwestern VA/western MD/DC areas? Maybe we can convoy and give mutual aid if necessary.
I love going to Dayton because one of my fave museums is there-- Museum of the Air Force, and Wright Bros related sites, so there's more to do than just VW stuff!

Please let me know!

David
in Bridgeport, WV
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Last year, there were 4 cars from Virginia, 1 car from West Virginia, and 1 car from Pennsylvania.

As the date gets closer, people will begin to finalize plans; I'm sure you can hook up with some others. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I mailed a letter to Senator Richard Burr (R) of N.Carolina with our flyers enclosed.
He's known for driving his Thing around Washington.
Maybe you can caravan with him if he drives in from DC. Wink

I have a fun weekend planned and you should make the effort to join us.
Print the registration form I posted in this forum on April 1, complete the form, and mail it to me.

If you don't sell that top & frame, bring it with you; I doubt that you will need to take it home.

Hope to meet you this July, Mondshine
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

I would caravan with you if I could leave at a respectable time. GDP (speaking of govment bidness) will be released that morning and Personal Income will be released the following Tuesday. Since it is the annual revision releases and not just the monthly updates, I have only a 10% chance of being allowed the entire Friday off, and maybe a 25% chance of leaving from my office by Noon. I'm shooting to leave by 3:00 so I can get to Tipp City by Midnight -- not exactly caravan friendly, I know -- and will take any early dismissal granted to me.

My bigger problem is I probably won't know my departure time any sooner than 72 hours prior to release -- and that is if everything is going smoothly for the GDP release. Smoothly and govment bidness don't usually go together but last year was an exception so I can hope. I certainly would welcome driving in tandem.

The good news for me is I see no other potential conflicts that weekend with possible Sectional or National tennis team tournaments. The hotel chain I typically use and their sister affiliations aren't close to Tipp City. That's not a deal breaker but I always prefer to use points (or accumulate them) rather than using real money.

As for the return trip, I'm a little more flexible but I do need to be in my office on Monday even though the day before the PI release rarely poses anything earth shattering for me to do. If I'm leaving by myself, I would probably do so between 8 AM and Noon. If I'm doing a tag-along, I would consider a different time.

I will take care of everything this week as Saturday (at the very least) looks like a go.
herewego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

I'm in Milwaukee, so this might actually work for me. That said, I'd probably trailer, since I'd want to bring my wife and daughter.

Will there be room to park tow vehicles and trailers?
Are there other wives/kids at the event? I doubt mine would want to be the only ones there.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Yes, trucks and trailers in the parking lot OK. This is a family type show. Also with this at a Hotel you have your room and swimming for kids. Fri. night will be a drive to the Drive in. Sat after the show is a nice drive to dinner. Also Sun drive. Much more that a show, it is a gathering of people and their cars. I have always said that these cars are 50% ownership and 50% fellowship.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

I'll be bringing at least One of my young'ns! There were quite a few kiddos last year, and the pool being Right inside the building was great for a cool off break!!
I even trailered Our Thing last year, which was against all I stood for in my earlier years.... Now, it's nice to have some comfort and quiet during a 450 mile trek!... I'm gettin old.... Rolling Eyes
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Gene Kisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

To David from Bridgeport WV,

For the last 16 years Gene Rodgers at ROMROG, on the Clarksburg side of the Bridgeport hill, and I have had the only two things in northern WV, and his has not seen daylight for over 20 years.
Our Acapulco was the one at the meet from WV last year.
Only Acapulco to date to receive HPOF & HPOF ORIGINAL from AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America).
I live in Fairmont. Call me 304-657-9740.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

"What potent blood hath modest May."
-  Ralph W. Emerson

Hello everybody, it’s a new month and Spring is in the air.

Springtime is Thingtime, so here is a reminder to send in your registration for Kubel Treffen East 2016.

Please remember to make your reservation at the hotel by phone to be included in our reserved block of rooms, and to receive our group rate.

I hope to see y’all in a couple of months.
Until then, safe travels and best regards,
Gary Mondshine
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

We are planning to come this year, but will be staying close by in a "Marriott" property, its hard to beat free stays with points. Cool Cool
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Just 1 month left to pre-register for Kubel Treffen East 2016!

Please print and complete this order form and mail it to me with your check.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I won't be purchasing many extra t-shirts, so if you will want a shirt, I need to know.

I have a great weekend planned, and I sincerely hope you can join us in Tipp City.

After the show, we will take a nice scenic drive to our banquet.
We will cross the Great Miami River over the Eldean Covered Bridge built in 1860, and tour the historic Indian Creek Distillery.
The distillery is a 6th generation operation, almost 200 years old; quite an interesting place! The tour and tasting is $10 per adult; kids are free, but no tasting for them! So bring your cameras!

Here's the rundown:

So I hope to see y'all there, and please send in those forms.

Safe travels and very best regards, Gary Mondshine
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Well, it's a new month; time to thank all of the people who have pre-registered for the 2016 Kubel Treffen East.

For those who have not pre-registered, please do it soon.
Just 16 days until the pre-registration deadline!

This year's event promises to be even better than last year's, so please come and see for yourself!

Hope to see y'all in Tipp City, Mondshine
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

After a month fixing stuff on the tan "Beast" it will be at the show. From sitting I put a gas tank, lines, fuel pump rebuilt carbs installed heat, new tires, points stuck. Dennis is driving it for a week and perfecting it , he has done the carbs and all the stuff to make it run and drive. Now a steering box and damper. This stuff should have lasted longer that 25 years. But yes it will be there.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the Domeck's Thing ready for the show The Beast and my daily driver

Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

So, who is planning on coming to the show? Were will you be coming from? This info helps plan a better show.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: