Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

This is my first restoring a "Vert Bug" build for me, and I'm looking for your experience and advice on the steps to build it back up. At this point the body and the pan are seperated.

This is what's done so far:
Powder coated pan & frame, rebuilt suspension, rebuilt brake system, rebuilt '68 trans, built new engine, all new pan rubber (grommets & misc), restored steering column, restored gas tank, zinc plated original nuts - bolts - washers, rechromed 90% of the original parts, body and paint finished, and powder coated conv. top assembly.

Most everything else has purchased and basically the buildup is the only thing left to do. So what next?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'67 Bus / Sundial - '59 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

now the blue piece gets glued/bolted to the black piece. Twisted Evil

I've read several threads where they put the wiring harness in before bolting the pan on .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

[/quote]

That Color is Awesome, paint job looks like whoever did it, knew what they were doing. Keep the pic's and progress coming.
pwomble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Very nice!
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, and I'll post as it progresses.

The painter is Jay Ramos and if you would like his info, just shoot me a email. I'm super picky and he exceeded my hopes.

Electrical: I'll start there with the new wiring harness. How does the old one come out? Do I tie a rope to the old one, pull the old harness while feeding the rope through, then attach the rope to the new harness and pull it back the other way?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Yes, Either tie the New loom to the old one as you pull it out, or tie a rope onto the end of the old one, as you pull it, leaving the rope in. hopefully your old loom is not stiff as a board, if it is, I would either straighten the other end as best you can, while pulling, or cut it where it starts going thru the wire tube so you don't trash the tube. I pulled mine out from the front with the new one taped to the old one. loop your ends from old to new so it doesn't pull apart when your yanking on it. One thing you might consider is pulling some extra wire's with the new loom for future item's you might want to add on later.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Wire Harness.
Thanks! Also great pointer on pulling x-tra wires through. Brilliant!

Paint process.
The color is a contemperary version of "Strato Silver". The painter spent three days to “Colour sand & Buff” the diamond hard clear coat. Seven coats of "House Of Kolor / Show clear" was used. He started with 600 grit sand paper, then 800, then 1000, then 1200, then 1500, and 2000. Then buff stage 1 compound with wool pad, then stage 2 foam pad, then stage 3 foam pad, then stage 4 foam pad, and finally glaze foam pad for that Pebble Beach quality finish. His blocking is equally labor intensive.

vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Super sweet paint job, show quality for sure. I would be wrapping all of my hand tools in bubble wrap during reassembly to avoid scratching that gorgeous show quality paint job:)

I did a lot of research on new wiring harnesses and ended up purchasing one from WW. Excellent quality and it came with great directions.

Last edited by vwnut1 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
Super sweet paint job, show quality for sure.

I did a lot of research on new wiring harnesses and ended up purchasing one from WW. Excellent quality and it came with great directions.

I went with Cip1.com. I'll be taking a peek at it today and post pictures and details.

Has anyone ever used their harness, and if so, any feedback would be sweet.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

cjargo wrote:

I went with Cip1.com. I'll be taking a peek at it today and post pictures and details.

If it's a wagon works harness it will be fine ; Do you have access to the " Bug Me " video of wiring harness installation ; priceless .
Blow up the wiring diagram and laminate it .....lets you see all the little markings

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
cjargo wrote:

If it's a wagon works harness it will be fine ; Do you have access to the " Bug Me " video of wiring harness installation ; priceless .
Blow up the wiring diagram and laminate it .....lets you see all the little markings

Funny you ask, I just received the "Bug Me" DVD last week. It'll be converted and downloaded onto my iPad. The leather iPad case will be gentle on the paint.

The Cip1.com harness looks straight forward, well written, clear diagrams, nothing cryptic. The quality of the wires seem good, and the wire crimping is excellent. Once it stops rain long enough, I'll pick the car up from the painter and jump right in. I'll keep you posted.

cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
cjargo wrote:

The purple tape you places on the edges is a excellent safeguard. Plagiarism is the highest form of flattery. Thanks for that tip. I'll do that around the entire car.

vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

The only part of the WW harness that I did not like were the 3-prong headlight terminals. I ended up using the OG ones that were still in great shape. Also, drop your original fuse box in some white vinegar overnight after cleaning off the dirt. It will come out nice and shiny!
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

In my opinion pulling the harness on a vert is a PITA. It only takes 1 person to pull a sedan harness, I would recommend you get a couple of your buddies to help on the vert. One feeding it down the tube on the passenger side under the hood where it makes the turn down the pillar, another helping it make the 90 degree turn into the heater channel (there should be a little cut out there that you can just get two fingers in) and the last person pulling the rope/string from the back.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
The only part of the WW harness that I did not like were the 3-prong headlight terminals. I ended up using the OG ones that were still in great shape. Also, drop your original fuse box in some white vinegar overnight after cleaning off the dirt. It will come out nice and shiny!

I was thinking the EXACT SAME THING ... AND I did the EXACT SAME THING Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Super clean chassis and beautiful paint job!

Also, thanks for the fuse box in vinegar trick. Ima go do that.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Tomorrow the vert arrives from the body shop so in the mean time I decided to clean up part of the hood catch. Thought: Should it be left cleaned up as is, or paint it in a metal color, or zinc plate it.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

I know that latch will clean nicely, and will seldom be seen if left unrestored. The tough part of whatever you decide? You will know...

(Looking at the car- I predict a new plating job) Cool

Your car is truly beautiful.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

I concur. With this high level of restoration every nut and bolt must be addressed. Your budget won't like it, but it will be show quality in the end.

I hope your goal is to enjoy the car when finished. If you plan on flipping it you will most likely be "upside down" in the car. As I learned many years ago, it's almost always cheaper to purchase a restored car than to do it yourself. Paint, body work, wheels, interior, etc. adds up quick.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I know that latch will clean nicely, and will seldom be seen if left unrestored. The tough part of whatever you decide? You will know...

(Looking at the car- I predict a new plating job) Cool

Your car is truly beautiful.

Thanks for the kind words.
PLATING:
What is the factory finish of the hood latch male and female side? The original one cleaned up ok, but if there is another level, it should be done. After some research, there wasn't anything concrete.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: