Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

N/A "spinner" engine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

I have a few parts laying around and I'm thinking of building a high rpm spinner engine. I saw this video of a 64x94 1776 built by JPM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgsjzTOm4EE and it got my mind thinking, not that I'm going build something that crazy but I like the principle of it.

I'll probably do a 1915 or 1835 thickwall with B pistons and long rods. Try to keep the engine narrow and the valvetrain light. Cam with a lot of duration but mild ramps.

I have a nice case opened for 94's and a nice 8 dowel non counterweighted German crank.

I have a set of Tim's stage 1 heads and another set of ported 42x37 heads but I have no idea who ported them.

Anyone build a high rpm spinner?
suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

sounds like a cool build . go for it .spencerfvee
vugbug68 wrote:
I have a few parts laying around and I'm thinking of building a high rpm spinner engine. I saw this video of a 64x94 1776 built by JPM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgsjzTOm4EE and it got my mind thinking, not that I'm going build something that crazy but I like the principle of it.

I'll probably do a 1915 or 1835 thickwall with B pistons and long rods. Try to keep the engine narrow and the valvetrain light. Cam with a lot of duration but mild ramps.

I have a nice case opened for 94's and a nice 8 dowel non counterweighted German crank.

I have a set of Tim's stage 1 heads and another set of ported 42x37 heads but I have no idea who ported them.

Anyone build a high rpm spinner?
suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

Keep the rods short and cut the barrels down to make it all work. The tin and header will become a problem, but the much shorter pushrods will be lighter and stiffer. B Pistons are usually slipper skirt, and are much lighter then full skirt A Pistons. I have been collecting parts to do the same.

Just make sure to do your math so your minimum cross section is up to par with your projected peak rpm.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rs58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

Get your crank counterweighted and use the Tims stage one heads.
fuguboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

How can you tell where stock crank was made ? why is 1500 cranks strongest and how do you identify ? What rpm is it ok to rev a stock 8doweled balanced crank and balanced rods 6000 ok ? Was thinking of a web 163 with 1.25 rockers . 1915 with Tims stage 1 40x35 maybe not a spinner like original poster just not sure on stock non-cw crank . Question
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

I wanna say there was a thread on cal-look forums that covered that build.....trying to find it
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

start at the bottom of the page and read on:

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,3257.690.html
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

I like the idea but I don't think the trouble of using a 64mm crank is worth it. Just use a 69mm, 1915cc, same parts, more power, less cost, easier to build.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

theDrew wrote:
start at the bottom of the page and read on:

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,3257.690.html

Nice thanks for that link.

my reason for non-counterweighted crank is less rotating mass, longer rods will help at high rpms and also make it easier to get the deck height correct probably will use 5.6" rods.

balancing will be key
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
I like the idea but I don't think the trouble of using a 64mm crank is worth it. Just use a 69mm, 1915cc, same parts, more power, less cost, easier to build.

I'm using a 69 crank, the 1776 in the video has a 64 crank

I'm on the fence with the pistons, I can go 92 or 94, I'm leaning towards 92's for a bit less weight
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

thick walled 92's! i'm assuming you'll be running a high compression ratio, so that'll help take the heat
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

Read through the entire thread linked above, and take notes whenever Johannes posts. His super light shorty pistons are the key to making the stock crank live above 7000rpm. He gives all the equations showing how they put less force on the crank above 7000rpm then a stock piston does at 5000rpm. His is a 1603cc, and made 194hp around 8000rpm.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

Find an old roller crank and let it rev!
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

fuguboy wrote:
How can you tell where stock crank was made ? why is 1500 cranks strongest and how do you identify ? What rpm is it ok to rev a stock 8doweled balanced crank and balanced rods 6000 ok ? Was thinking of a web 163 with 1.25 rockers . 1915 with Tims stage 1 40x35 maybe not a spinner like original poster just not sure on stock non-cw crank . Question

The problem is the weight of the parts connected to the stock crank. The lighter the rods and pistons, the higher the assembly can spin w/o pounding. This can only be achieved up to a certain point with modified AA forged B pistons and modified H Beam rods. For higher RPM, you'll need exotic. With regular B pistons and stock rods, 4500 RPM.

If you don't have cash to mill out material on the underside of the crowns and lighten the rods, buy a C/W crank. Actually, just buy a C/W crank regardless.

If you want less mass, pay DPR to severely lighten one of theirs.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

hey stupid Shocked high rpm requires heads that are capable of the high rpm, and heads off the stage coach wont get it.unless your one of those guys that think high rpm is 4000 rpm or likes wiring a 4 cyl tack like a 8 cylinder tach.......and then theres the exhaust, and the induction and ignition....and tit valves,trick springs,right rockers,right cam,right retainers,right pushrods........ yup throwing your spain parts togeather will do just that spin high then...........splat Wink so...go fer it and postaa viedieieio.
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

I have a 69mm counterweighted crank that probably needs work (balance and such), that I would be willing to trade.
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:

Just make sure to do your math so your minimum cross section is up to par with your projected peak rpm.

Brian

Can you explain this please? I have never heard this before...I checked the thread link listed and was lost in 1300cc circuit racing land.
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

Engines are air pumps. You might be able to breath through a straw sitting in your office chair, but you wont do it running a marathon.

Intake port cross section will dictate the maximum power potential. Period.

The 1776 has MS230s, JPMs 1915 has MS230s. Thats 230cfm @ .600" lift.

If you want a small motor to spin high, build a 1915 with a set of ultra wedgeports.

One thing to note is the JPM motors are pusing the boundries for HP/liter. If you don't have a lot of money to spend, you might as well make that 220 hp with a 2386cc at a much lower RPM.

Play with this calculator. It basically use mass flow rate to calculate HP. Keep the engine type constant and try different engine sizes. You will notice for the same head flow, the HP will remain constant, the RPM changes.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/calcafhp.php

Bob Brugge wrote:
Brian_e wrote:

Brian

Can you explain this please? I have never heard this before...I checked the thread link listed and was lost in 1300cc circuit racing land.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

What he said ↑.

If you dont know an accurate airflow for your heads, you can use this calculator to figure what your max RPM will be given the minimal cross section of your intake tract. Measure the smallest diameter, convert to area, and then plug in your numbers.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/chokepoint.php
Remember this is assuming your heads are perfectly ported, and not some as cast head with big valves tossed in.

Most properly done intake tracts will have the min. cross section just below the valve seat. With off the shelf offset and straight manifolds, the diameter about 1" up from the flange is smaller then the seat diameter on a 40mm intake, so that would be the smallest point, and also the reason all manifolds need to be FULLY ported, not just match ported. Think smooth even tapered funnel, ending in the correct cross section for your desired RPM range.

This one will work backwards for you. You input your bore, stroke, and projected max RPM, and it will tell you the smallest your cross section can be.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/ca-calc.php

Brian
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: N/A "spinner" engine Reply with quote

I think the flow of the heads may be a better thing to use..... as properly is extreamly vauge term and meas oh somuch different things to different people&also different porters...and different applications also have different porting techniques.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: