Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

54 UK Kombi
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
newa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: 54 UK Kombi Reply with quote

I started on my 54!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, I have actually started welding. And totaling up new panel costs..

I have been trying to find some detail on the top of the B posts where the gutter or drip tray, reinforcement and roof support meet, there were cable holes here but there is no longer enough left for me to see where the holes were and how things routed etc. Anyone got pics? Here is what they looked like:

Thanks
spit nolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 54 UK Kombi Reply with quote

I put some pics on your ssvc thread, of top of my b pillar, I can get more in the new year when can get back up to my bus.

RSVP VW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andy dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 54 UK Kombi Reply with quote

Hi Chief, i darn't take my head lining down in case I find the same result, I'll try and find a day to pop up if you wish, cheers Andy
Hellberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 54 UK Kombi Reply with quote

cool, excited to see some progress! Smile
newa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 54 UK Kombi Reply with quote

The LH roof rot before I cut it. Replaced the full length of gutter tray, it's welded in now but I have not put the strengthener strip in yet since I am not sure on the hole at the top of the B pillar and I am looking for a spot welder.

newa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 54 UK Kombi Reply with quote

Perhaps time for an update here! You've seen it all before I am sure.

The roof is off and I just removed the remaining crust of the RH gutter, it was actually getting fairly solid toward the rear, it's a compromise between orig steel and decent rework. I also removed the inner side panel which will allow me to spot weld everything back together and de-rust. It should also help to properly repair the window frames and there are a few dings I can straighten out properly. I am weary of taking too much or more than necessary apart at one time and risk losing that character and detail of the original construction, possibly ending up with a scary pile of rusty pieces and ordering a containers worth of panels to build a new van.

I wasn't expecting lead on the inner panel to the B pillar, a lot of it too.

Also a seam in the outer side panel in the middle of the rear popout? Looks like a tidy gas weld? I thought this would be a single piece?

Lower

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: