Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I insure a 40+ year old vehicle in Ontario?
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew_c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: How do I insure a 40+ year old vehicle in Ontario? Reply with quote

My situation:
I'm going to be buying an old VW Bay Window Transporter. We'll say 1972 for the sake of discussion. It's not going to be a show vehicle - this will be driven. Not daily, but driven nonetheless.

I don't own another vehicle, nor am I insured as a daily driver on any policy.

Hagerty (and all classic car insurance programs in Ontario) require the driver to be insured on an external policy as a daily driver on another vehicle.

That's not possible in my case. I don't have another vehicle, and I sure as hell won't be buying 2 so I can get insurance on the one I want.

I've contacted multiple brokers, checked with RBC (who does my contents insurance), and every online quote tool out there seems to not allow any vehicle beyond about 1992.

There has got to be a way of getting one-off insurance on an old vehicle. If it can go on the road, there has to be a way to insure it.

Any ideas?
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I insure a 40+ year old vehicle in Ontario? Reply with quote

Hi,

We are in Ontario also. Slightly different situation, as we have a daily driver, but we ended up simply adding our 77 bus to our normal plan through Meloche Monnex. The bus didn't come up in their system as it was too old, but no problem at all for just liability coverage. To add comprehensive coverage, we have to provide an estimated appraisal. So, you might try contacting a more conventional insurer. We may well stay this way due to the restrictions of most collector car policies. Surely we have to stop at a grocery store when camping!
Good luck!
andrew_c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: How do I insure a 40+ year old vehicle in Ontario? Reply with quote

Yeah the other daily driver vehicle seems to be the largest hurdle for me getting a policy from anyone.

It's odd that you can't just like an antique auto enough for it to be your one and only vehicle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: