Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Neil's bubbletop volksrod build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

got the steering wheel installed. shaft trimmed down another inch or so, splines for quick release welded. replaced rubber rag joint. seems to work ok. a lot of play in column right now since its not yet clamped to dash.

back to tiling bathroom...
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Looking good, kick that bathroom's butt!
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Looks great! I thought you were going to make a steel bubble for the roof? You need to a place to incorporate a iron cross somewhere on this thing!!!
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Don't park that thing in the sun! You'll cook!
Amazing fab work! Can't wait to see it done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Toilet and sink going back in tomorrow. One more day of grouting. Light at end of tunnel for bathroom project. Probably only a few more days.

Really would be awesome if someone knitted a beanie for me to throw over the bubble to keep the sun issues at bay when parked. Not sure what else I can do but park in the shade. It will be hot but should flow through pretty good when driving. Pretty well vented. We will see if ac is necessary in the future.

So ready to get back to work on this thing. As fun as house projects are, they just don't compare to building weird shit out in the garage.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

if you are worried about the heat you could get a second top done and cut it to be a targa top (911 style with no centre brace).

awesome work so far, I can't wait to watch this develop further.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Bathroom project done. Finally.

Had a friend help me move the bubble into the living room. Going to take it out of the ring tomorrow morning and then start figuring out the hinge mechanism. Ready to be back in the garage.
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

We've been patient, glad your plumbing is in order and you're back on the Bubbletop.

It's been like waiting for the next movie in a trilogy!
Popcorn
Now on with this masterful build. Cool

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Stop!- Bubbletime! Twisted Evil
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

You would have made the ultimate batchelor pad if you moved the top into the bathroom. Then again, the living room is good for the group get togethers.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:
Toilet and sink going back in tomorrow. One more day of grouting. Light at end of tunnel for bathroom project. Probably only a few more days.

Really would be awesome if someone knitted a beanie for me to throw over the bubble to keep the sun issues at bay when parked. Not sure what else I can do but park in the shade. It will be hot but should flow through pretty good when driving. Pretty well vented. We will see if ac is necessary in the future.

So ready to get back to work on this thing. As fun as house projects are, they just don't compare to building weird shit out in the garage.

I've seen several pictures of Messerschmitts with a sunshade that suction cups to the inside top of the bubble that reportedly helps quite a bit.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

have any links to those sunshaded Messerschmitt's?

started back up on the project by tackling something that has been bugging me for a while, the hole in the hood around the filler neck. an idea popped into my head for how to form a nice ring to clean up the jagged edge. bent some 8mm rod around an old vw cylinder which worked out perfectly with some encouragement from the vice, a hammer, and torch.

even got lucky and didn't have to remove the hood to weld it in because the inner panel of the hood kind of held it in place.

then I moved on to figuring out how to do the bubble hinges. not sure but I think that the closer the hinge point is to the level of the bubble, the less forward/backward movement there will be when the bubble just starts lifting up. this is important because there is only 1/8" gap between the bubble frame and body so it needs to lift up before arcing forward to avoid hitting the body. I dropped the hinge mounting location on the bubble frame about twice as far as I original was thinking about doing and lifted the hinge point up slightly from there to try to get the lift arc where I think it needs to be. we will see.

mounting plates made of 1/8"x4" strip, shaped, then doubled where hinge bolts to give a bit more meat to tap to secure the bolts. can't have anything extend beyond the seal lip on the body if its going to open, so no weldnuts here. also clearanced for fingers on stock hood hinges.

mockup

pie cut stock hinges to correct for angle of flats on bubble frame and get the hinge locations more parallel rather than trapezoidal. not done yet but good starting point for tomorrow morning. all the angles and curves make your brain hurt after a while.

eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I see people put tin foil shields on the windshield to redirect the sun. Just carry some foil wrap and fit it into the dome. You may find some 'others' joining you for a trip to the mother ship.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

So first attempt on hinges failed. Bubble peak hit body at about 4" of lift in the back. Pretty sure hinge point has to be moved forward of the peak. Problem is any amount it moves forward also requires the same amount to be added as a drop in the swoosh part of the hinge to clear the body in the lifted position. Trying to hammer form some longer/deeper swoosh pieces to splice into the stock hinges over the next couple days. If that still doesn't work then I've gotta figure out another solution. Any ideas? Might have to make a trip to pick and pull.
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I'm wondering what you have in mind for latching the top. I'm thinking that the motion you are seeking in the top resembles many car hood arrangements where the latch is popped and the hood actually rocks forward/lifts before/as it travels up on its arc. Yours would be 180 of that of course but the action may be right. The looks of those units isn't as appealing as what you currently have bu you may be able to hide or disguise it somehow.

Maybe less appealing but a thought is hinging in the rear and latching in the front? Not sure if the rear provides a better arrangement or not but I kind of envisioned a safari vent option on the bubble for keeping it cool.

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:
So first attempt on hinges failed. Bubble peak hit body at about 4" of lift in the back. Pretty sure hinge point has to be moved forward of the peak. Problem is any amount it moves forward also requires the same amount to be added as a drop in the swoosh part of the hinge to clear the body in the lifted position. Trying to hammer form some longer/deeper swoosh pieces to splice into the stock hinges over the next couple days. If that still doesn't work then I've gotta figure out another solution. Any ideas? Might have to make a trip to pick and pull.

Look at 70'-90's Dodge truck hood hinges. They don't just hinge the hood, they lift too.

To get an idea, google image search this: Dodge Ram Hood Hinges

Many have built in assist springs and for the ones that don't, you can add hydraulic lift assist struts to them to help you when you open and close the top.

Some of the hood hinges from the 50's lift quite a bit while hinging.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

You may need an articulated hinge. It lifts and pivots. I have a small set, I do not think they will handle the bubble top

Something like this may help. I think you could build something that would work.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Reverse hinge the hood? ie flip (or flop) forward.
mfergel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Maybe hinges from the Buick with the reverse opening hood? They allow you to keep it parallel while it also tips back.

https://www.google.com/search?q=buick+reverse+hood...HQ#imgrc=_
mfergel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Here is the hood in action

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 23

Jump to: