Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Neil's bubbletop volksrod build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

And I think you are on the right track with losing the rear wheels and coming up withe some sort of hover mechanism - Those headlight buckets are perfect for something like a 55-59 Ford tail light. Cool
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Awesome build! I'm excited to see this coming along so well.

nshaddox wrote:
...Might also drive with bubble slightly open in back for same reason.

How about you incorporate a vent/scoop into the body so you won't have to prop open the bubble while driving.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Tossed around the idea of indicators in the buckets but came to the same conclusion that you probably won't see them. Might revisit once trans and wheels are in place though.

Body will be somewhat vented too, just not so obviously with side vents. Bubble being open 1/2" or so at the rear is another idea that will probably only happen if it's too hot with it closed. I'm using a hood catch mechanism from a bmw for the bubble catch stuff, so I figure running it in the safety catch versus the fully closed position will allow me to have that slight crack without really doing any additional fab work. We will see.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Dang, this is some crazy-awesome far-out build, I'm loving it! Twisted Evil
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

finished up other side this morning

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

another mock up. couldn't resist.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Slick execution on the bubble-car! Nice panel work -

How 'bout some headlight trim rings on the 'headlight buckets' to dress out the holes?

Side coves: maybe some 'crescent-shaped' pop-open crotch cooler vents for interior cooling - or, some cooler vents like on top of '57 Corvette fenders -

RE: Rear Suspension -

I think this would look slick with some Porsche 944 Turbo alloy rear trailing arms & IRS setup...

Keep up the great work!

bnc
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

May not be a bad idea to keep in the back of your mind a fan of sorts for forced ventilation. You may not need it, but keep a place for it in mind - would even go as far as run wires just in case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mfergel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

This looks cooler every time you post progress pics
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

definitely going to use stock trim rings around the torsion arm holes.

may add crotch coolers in wheel wells at a later date if heat is unbearable. maybe a pair of split bug style ones on each side? could look cool...

rear suspension will be swing axle. wanted to build something ridiculously low with tall tires and somehow still keep some positive camber and suspect this will be no problem. I've actually already built the transmission for it, just haven't shared pictures really.

today was steering set up day

steering wheel not yet permanently fitted, waiting until bubble comes back to check clearances before trimming down shaft more and moving wheel forward probably 3-5."
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Not sure what you are doing around the engine.. The one rendering looks like a scoop of sorts on the top. Take time to integrate the engine area into the design. I see some cars that are cool, but looks like they just cut the body of straight at the rear and hung an engine on it. Like they didnt know what to do next. Not sure why I am saying this - you are batting 1000 so far.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

plan is to blend the upper type 3 tins into the rear 'front' hood lines somehow. should make for a less harsh transition, but engine will still be exposed and therefore kind of awkwardly hanging out back there. 'scoop to which you are referring is actually the tail light housing, but it does have a kinda rocket booster look to it.

a bit of work in the trunk area today. not much of a trunk really. mostly just space for essentials like the gas tank and battery and steering stuff.

started the day by trimming down the front where I had temporarily welded the u channel in place to free up the side pods and smooth out the front end a bit.

then I started making a 'soap tray' to hold the brake fluid reservoir. first step make template:

here it is after some bending in the vice, hammering, welding, grinding...

last pic with reservoir in place. hood just barely touches reservoir cap but there is enough room for things to move so that there is no issue. got it as high up as I could so brake bleeding will not be too tricky.

then I made a tunnel for the steering box/shaft.

finally triangulated beam to body mounting tabs.

ran out of welding gas just as the last one went in., but trunk area looks good now-much more finished. just have to figure out battery mounting and random wiring tabs and such.

gotta do drywall work to earn some bucks next couple of days, but plan is to think about where to put fuse block and how to run wires while I'm doing it.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

How will the fan shroud sit in relation to the rear "turtle" deck?
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Type 3 shroud. Rear deck is about an inch higher than front breastplate tin between engine and trans. Believe shroud will be within an inch of there but haven't mocked up tins yet.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

couple more work days into it, mocked up stock engine tins

the flow isn't too bad, but I felt it could be improved by blending the body lines into the stock cylinder head tins so made a few panels to try it out.

kind of like how due to the oil cooler and alternator, the drivers side in the back is bubbled out by necessity just like up front with the steering box. usually I like things to be balanced but I feel like having all the asymmetrical bits on the driver side is going to work well. might shave the coil mount location from on top of the oil cooler to under the center of the new cover panel if there is space just to clean things up a bit more.

here it is welded up. going to add a bit on the drivers side and then trim but pretty happy with it overall.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

DUDE! You are a mental metal madman! That thing is coming along great. Have you thought about relocating the oil cooler so you can continue the flow of the engine sheet metal? I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult for you at this point. It would just kinda bug me for the one side to not match because that little hump. You could even relocate it into a snorkel for the fresh air into the engine. Just a thought, your design & execution far exceeds my abilities & vision.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

asymmetry is going to be unavoidable since the shroud is asymmetrical and the cylinder banks and therefore carbs are offset. It actually doesn't bug me though. even though the new filler panel between the engine and body isn't the same from side to side I feel like the body line continuations trick the eye into thinking its much more symmetrical than it is. its gonna be so busy back there with the complete engine that it will not be too noticeable I think.

got panel finalized. added hardware, trimmed and rolled lower edge, notched/bubbled for throttle linkage clearance.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

YOU are my hero. That engine tin integration is amazing. The pancake works so much better than a type 1.
scat53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I'm loving this build thread. You have real creative vision mixed with some awesome fabrication craftsmanship. Keep at it , it's going to be brilliant!
mfergel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

It's a bit like watching Ed Roth come up with his latest bubble top.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I don't know, not to take anything away from Ed Roth's genius, but weren't his creations fiberglass? I think this takes it to another level.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 23

Jump to: