Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 )
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 ) Reply with quote

Since their is only two east Coast Manx Club events this year MOTB , and Carlisle , Me and another Manx club member are in the beginning process of planning a small gathering in Watkins Glen NY this summer . We are in the incubating process , but it would probably be on a weekend this summer of 2016. My wife being from Watkins Glen, and me having a lot of friends from there , I have a few connections , in hotel's and restaurant's such as the infamous Seneca Lodge . My Cohort is from Corning NY and she has some in's at the Watkins Glen International race track , so we are trying to arrange a trip around the track with the buggy's . Then we will be participating in a winery tours Via Buggy and check out a couple local Brewery's . Followed by group dinner at Seneca Lodge. Again this is in the early stages of planning , but I would like to see if their would be any interest .
This is just a buggy gathering outing and not a Manx Club Sanctioned Event.
Reservations will be your own responsibility , but I will be working on getting a few locations for lodging and maybe a slight group discount at the Lodge .
Well I will keep you posted as progress goes on .
Frizzy

2015 Manx Over the Falls – Buffalo New York

Buffalo, New York
IowaRedManx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 ) Reply with quote

I see on the "Glen" website they have a "Drive the Glen" package for $25.00US, with a top speed of 55MPH and no passing of other vehicles.

It appears to be available every day unless the track is in use for an event.
frizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 ) Reply with quote

Yes ,I am aware , we might have a fee per buggy , or group rate , again its in the beginning stage .

Buffalo, New York
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 ) Reply with quote

For us it would depend on when.
Aa they say... "timing is everything"!

Love the area, the track, the lakes....

(With way more projects than spare time!)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 ) Reply with quote

there is an annual VW Westies @ watkins glen event during the annual Vintage races weekend.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7TmGEqAkLw
but they have a infield classic car show that saturday and the carshow cars get a tour/parade set of laps after the show.
during the day there are racing heats going on, full access to the pits to see the cars (kiddos can get inside some of them) and a full on midway of festival food stuffs..
if interested in the VW camping to add on or round out the weekend. then Pmail for more information.. there is a package deal that they offer the westies.

but yes the track tours are quite fun, and don't let 55mph fool ya it's worth the ticket..

edit:
Vintage weekend is Sept 9-10-11
car show is Sat the 10th http://www.theglen.com/Tickets-Events/Events/2015/US-Vintage-Grand-Prix.aspx

note that no matter when you go it's a great time and place..
with some very unique things to see & do while in the region.
a must see is the Glenn Curtis Museum in Hammondsport, NY
http://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/museum/glenncurtiss.html
curtis was the fastest man alive for a time with his V8 powered motorcycle and is the father of naval aviation.
down by horseheads, NY is the Wings of Eagles aviation and aerospace museum and discovery center http://www.wingsofeagles.com/browse-the-collection/additional-exhibits/
of course the Corning museum of glass http://www.cmog.org/
and for the kids and kids at heart who love to dig in history theres the Museum of the Earth a Palentological research and discovery center. http://www.priweb.org/exhibitions.php?page=onpermanentview/steggy_main
and do not forget a visit to the actual Watkins Glen Gorge.. beauty carved out by nature over millions of years.. take the shuttle to the top and walk down. mucho easier on the knees. http://nysparks.com/parks/142/details.aspx

Last edited by danfromsyr on Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 ) Reply with quote

I'm showing 4.5 hours from Philly so I could be down……of course depending on the weekend and what else could be going on.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 ) Reply with quote

Wow! One of those "can't get there from here" places. 9 hours for me, but I can make Marc's house in 6 hours.

Time of year depends for me. Planning a trip up near there in the buggy next year to cover the last of the "48" north east states my buggy has not been in. If the time is close, might make it part of my trip.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 ) Reply with quote

Just 90 minutes away for me. The Glen Region of the SCCA held many autocross events on the track in 1977 through 1981 or so and I got a chance to play on various sections of the track in my Safari autocross buggy. Definitely worth the trip. I will attend if I can get the pile of parts to look like a buggy by then.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
NYGhiaGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 ) Reply with quote

Hey Joe, I live about 45 minutes from there... if you come up this way and stop on by we can go cruise through there. The loop around Seneca Lake is gorgeous!
2 Meyers Tow'ds
Porsche 914
frizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 ) Reply with quote

So after speaking with my Co- Organizers Jean and Jeff Cortright from Corning NY , we are in the mist of talking to the track to see which of the two dates we have chosen will be the less crowded at the track , and which will be better for us to run the track and have photo op's on the track . The buggy run will be a full weekend event starting on a Friday and ending on a Sunday.
We have a lot planned , and it is guarantied to be a bunch of fun!
Are two date options are : the week July 22 to the 24 Th
Or a second option is July 29 Th to the 31 st
Cheez-it at the Glen is the following week , which might be busy with people setting up early in the week , so this might be a problem for having it this week .
So we will be choosing a date soon , and be giving more details on the gathering , so keep checking the Samba thread for details .
Frizzy

Buffalo, New York
FarmerJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 ) Reply with quote

Any updates on when this is happening ??
frizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 ) Reply with quote

Guys we are looking at the weekend of July 22 too July 24 Th 2016 ,
we are just working out the details and waiting to see if we can finalize the track time .
I will be posting more specifics early next week !
Frizzy

Buffalo, New York
frizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 ) Reply with quote

repost

Buffalo, New York

Last edited by frizzardking on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
frizzardking
Samba Member

sticky Button!

Buffalo, New York

Last edited by frizzardking on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
frizzardking
Samba Member

repost

Buffalo, New York

Last edited by frizzardking on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
frizzardking
Samba Member

repost

Buffalo, New York

Last edited by frizzardking on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 ) Reply with quote

Twitchy clicker finger?

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IowaRedManx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 ) Reply with quote

That is some hiccup!
frizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 ) Reply with quote

So here we go , the date for Manx at the Glen will be 22 to the 24 th of July 2016 .Here is a rough draft of what we wil be putting together . We can get a partnership rate on Drive the Glen Experience of $15 per carload for 3 laps. They would stop after 2 laps for photos. Can switch drivers if like after 2nd lap. 55-60 mph behind a pace car with no passing. Up to 60 cars at once. We are thinking maybe two options on Friday -- one is an optional wine and brewery tour, and the other is an optional museum tour for anyone interested. Examples, Corning Museum of Glass, Rockwell Museum, Glenn Curtis, Wings of Eagles, etc. Meet up at 9:30 on Saturday, do a Finger Lakes tour and stop for lunch. Lunch spot would be 10 minutes from Lodge on small lake but very reasonable. Meet back at the Lodge at 4:30 and proceed for 5:00 track Experience before dinner on Saturday. Time between lunch and the Track experience could be for those who want to walk the gorge or go shopping.
I am working on lodging at Seneca Lodge and try to get a Block of rooms .
You will have to call and make reservations , because of the summer season lodging is limited , so I advise to book soon .
Again the track time is 5 pm on Saturday the 23 rd 2016
With a group dinner following at Seneca Lodge and cocktails afterwards !
If you are interested please let me know or if you have any questions .
This is not a Manx Club event and you do not need be a manx club member to attend this Buggy outing !
More the Merrier !

Buffalo, New York
frizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gathering ( Manx at the Glen 2016 ) Reply with quote

Hi I just got off the phone with my friend who is the owner of Seneca Lodge , and was able to secure a block of Fourteen rooms all next to each other , at a room rate of 90 dollars per night in the motel part of the lodge , mention Manx at the Glen to secure a room at this rate .
I booked mine so that's thirteen left and I know two others were booking today .
I also booked the banquet area at 7:30 for a group dinner at the lodge , after the track on Saturday . Rooms will go fast , they also have a few cabins , and other random motel rooms , but not with our group .
So please book soon they will go fast .
Here is Seneca lodge's reservation #
1-607- 535-2014
Again mention Manx at the Glen .
There is also a KOA for camping
I will be giving more places to stay later this evening
Frizzy

Buffalo, New York
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: