Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this engine worth picking up?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ve7kilohertz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

Thanks Ray,

Never mind...sun just came out...I'm going to get it....report back later. Cheers

Well I decided to hold off picking it up today as it snowed a big sloppy wet mess last night, so I am just going to look at it again tomorrow as I drive right by it on my way to work.

I know from here a few things to look for but are there any specifics to look for? I will have some time and it will be daylight and I'll take a real camera. Rolling Eyes

Things I know to look for...

1. Engine # stamped in the top of the case...somewhere
2. Oil dipstick
3. Confirm injectors are there
4. Check for flywheel or flex plate
5. Take picture of rear frame assembly with tranny
6. Picture of auto trans and manual trans sitting next to it.

Anything else?

Thanks all for the help.

Cheers
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

The engine # is at the base of that black rectangular breather box...on the side closest to the fan.

If you have a minute...pull a valve cover and look for a head part #.
Look for 12mm hose nipple on the cylinder head just to one side of where the intake runner bolts on.
If it has the hose nipple...which I am,betting it does because I see a red PCV hose in one of your pictures.... that makes it a 1.7L from a 411/412 or 914 that originally had D-jet.

If it has no PCV nipples it could still be a 1.7 from a 411/412 that had twin carbs. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ve7kilohertz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
The engine # is at the base of that black rectangular breather box...on the side closest to the fan.

If you have a minute...pull a valve cover and look for a head part #.
Look for 12mm hose nipple on the cylinder head just to one side of where the intake runner bolts on.
If it has the hose nipple...which I am,betting it does because I see a red PCV hose in one of your pictures.... that makes it a 1.7L from a 411/412 or 914 that originally had D-jet.

If it has no PCV nipples it could still be a 1.7 from a 411/412 that had twin carbs. Ray

You nailed it Ray! I brought the whole works home last night, buggy, engine, auto tranny still attached to the 412 rear frame, and a mess of parts, baja exhaust etc. Cool!

So yes, it is a 412 engine, 1.7L 80HP with an EA engine code. I think that makes it 1969-1973 and the 8.2:1 compression, probably the same as the Porsche 914 engine??

Going to dump some ATF/Diesel mix in the cylinders, see if I can free it up. The oil thankfully looks clean, even though the dip stick was out, didn't see any water in there. I pressure washed it all and it looks pretty good. That carb has to come off and I will probably look for a dual carb setup.

Would it be something to consider, trying to reinstate the fuel injection, or will it be next to impossible to find all the goodies required. The manifold has been modified beyond repair.

Your thoughts?

Cheers

I'll post pics when I get back inside tonight.

Last edited by ve7kilohertz on Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

These engines....the 1.7L...especially the high ckmpression 80-82 hp engines for the 411/412/914... are very tough. Some of the least issues with castings, overheating etc.

So many people simply strip them and go larger. Sadly...so many.....unless they are going 2056 or factory level 914 2.0 with actual 2.0 heads and all that entails....in reality get very little more HP than a tweaked 1.7 with fuel injection "can" get....and usuay with worse throttle response.

There are a lot of different possible configurations. Find out what you have thats still good first. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ve7kilohertz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

Well I got her unstuck today, a little ATF and Diesel down the carb and let it sit overnight, bar on the flywheel and she came loose right away. I have compression on 3 cyls, #4 won't seal, probably stuck valves. May try to start it this weekend, we'll see how much time I have. Too much going on for Christmas right now. Probably best to wait and flush the whole thing out and make sure no crud is going to destroy it with contaminated oil and carp in the cylinders.

Cheers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: