Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this engine worth picking up?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ve7kilohertz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

HI Guys,

I am building a couple of dune buggies and one of them needs an engine. I found this one today, comes with the auto tranny and the whole rear end frame section of the car, as well as a rail type dune buggy, no engine, and pretty beat. I know nothing about 914 engines but this one is supposed to be 1.8L, it is stuck, rust, not oil starved and has a single weber which I have no idea what model it is.

Anyway, I can have it all for $175, and not sure if I should keep looking for a good running engine, type I to IV or anywhere in between, or grab this and work on it this winter.

So, can you tell from these crappy phone pics what engine and weber carb this is?

Thanks for any help, advice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

It is a 914 1.7 or 1.8, that's all I can tell. That price would be worth it to me for parts alone. If it's an 010 automatic, my total purchase would be made back selling a few parts out of it.
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

For 175.00 cnd heck that's only 15.00 US Wink

Buy it and fix it up. If the buggies are only ram around buggies it might work good for you. If your going to completely rebuild the motor, it will cost more than a type 1 and parts are not as common
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

Laughing I love how each sub-group of car enthusiests thinks the type 4 engine only comes from their cars.

Its likely not from a 914 at .....or could be. From thr egr hoses its most probably a 1.7L. From the case part number position....blurred but still on the breather....its likely from a VW 411 or 412. It could be from a bus....but would likely not be if the egr breather hoses are any reliable indication.

If it came with an automatic attached.....its most likely from a 411 or 412. No automatic 914s. It could be from a bus....again..depends on type of automatic.

All of this is fine. The 1.7L and 1.8L (except Euro 1.8L).....are 100% identical internally in 411, 412 and 914.
Dump that worthless center mounted carb. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ve7kilohertz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

OKay some helpful info here, thanks!! Wish I had taken a pic of the automatic still in the frame. The frame was the width of the vehicle, and I think had 2 main cross members with a few support arms arms around the tranny mount. I will poke around the web and see if I can find a similar looking frame.

This will be a for a street buggy that I just picked up to restore. There is a 1600 SP in it, not seized, but not running. I may just get it going to see how it works. I just thought 70-80HP in a buggy would be fun.

As for the value, it sounds like I won't lose even if I don't use it. He said he had it running a few years ago, but it's sitting outside under a tarp and we all know how engines fare in those conditions. It may be just a matter of getting some ATF into the cylinders and she'll free up...but probably not. Rolling Eyes Would be nice to put a set of dual carbs on it, but that would be down the road. Is that a weber on there? I can't tell.

Cheers
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

ve7kilohertz wrote:
OKay some helpful info here, thanks!! Wish I had taken a pic of the automatic still in the frame. The frame was the width of the vehicle, and I think had 2 main cross members with a few support arms arms around the tranny mount. I will poke around the web and see if I can find a similar looking frame.

This will be a for a street buggy that I just picked up to restore. There is a 1600 SP in it, not seized, but not running. I may just get it going to see how it works. I just thought 70-80HP in a buggy would be fun.

As for the value, it sounds like I won't lose even if I don't use it. He said he had it running a few years ago, but it's sitting outside under a tarp and we all know how engines fare in those conditions. It may be just a matter of getting some ATF into the cylinders and she'll free up...but probably not. Rolling Eyes Would be nice to put a set of dual carbs on it, but that would be down the road. Is that a weber on there? I can't tell.

Cheers

Just out of curiosity....did the rear cross member attached to the auto trans look anything like the one in this diagram?

This is showing the left end from about the center. The round hole in the middle is where the bushing on the tail of the automatic or manual transmission fits into. This beam is about 7-8" high...about five feet wide and about 4" thick. On each end it would have had a trailing wishbone like the one in the diagram below.

If it had parts that looked like those...it would have been a 411 or 412.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

The carb is a progressive 2 barrel. Commonly found on Ford Pinto back in the day. The biggest problem on your setup is the lack of heated intake. It causes a lag/hesitation on accel. They do work but there are better choices. I had one setup the same years ago so from experience, yeah change it out

Its a great motor, durable, good bottom end torque and people go crazy trying to figure out "what kinda motor you got in that thing"

If you really want to spend money, you can make it dance
ve7kilohertz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

Ray, thank you for the diagrams. I think maybe the trailing arms were on it...man it was only yesterday and I can't remember.

Now that I think about it, he pointed to another transaxle on the ground and said he attached that to start it and run it, and also when I tried to turn it over, I grabbed the flywheel, pretty substantial flywheel, not a flex plate like would be on an automatic. Does VW use a flywheel with the automatic or is it the usual flex plate and torque converter for mass? The flywheel was probably 1.25-1.5" thick??

If I decide to go for it, I will then be able to get the numbers from it, and get much better pics from all angles, and we'll then be able to figure it out. The other big difference in the 914, is the exhaust points out the back of the engine, ie towards the firewall tin, but I didn't get any decent pics of underneath the head to see what pipes might be there.

I'll continue looking at web pics to see if I recognize anything. I may just go there again, with my trailer tomorrow and pick it up, just for the hell of it. Always like a new challenge. As mentioned, there is probably enough stuff there that I won't lose money, and I have 20 acres so why not another engine and buggy. Laughing

Thanks!
ve7kilohertz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

MacLeod Willy wrote:
The carb is a progressive 2 barrel. Commonly found on Ford Pinto back in the day. The biggest problem on your setup is the lack of heated intake. It causes a lag/hesitation on accel. They do work but there are better choices. I had one setup the same years ago so from experience, yeah change it out

Its a great motor, durable, good bottom end torque and people go crazy trying to figure out "what kinda motor you got in that thing"

If you really want to spend money, you can make it dance

Good to know. Is that a weber carb or just a generic motorcraft? If I decide to build this up, I would probably go for dual carb setup, and make it decent, not crazy. This whole deal is a project for my son and I to work on together next spring so I may just get the existing buggy 1600 going, get the buggy on the road, and build up the 914/411/412 engine next summer for a drop in down the road.

Cheers
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

Well some have the weber stamp on them or motorcraft, but yeah its a weber
ve7kilohertz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

Thanks Willy.

Another thing that is missing, the dipstick. Don't all the 914 engines have the dipstick out the top center of the engine, passenger sideish behind where the card would be?? I don't see it in my pictures.

Learning lots this morning.

cheers
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

The dipstick would come out the the rear of the fan housing through a rubber tube in behind that will be leaking. ;-D

There is a flange on the right side, top rear that can be drilled for a stick.
OR
You can make a plate to replace the stick so it directs the stick straight up through a hole beside the thermostat cable
ve7kilohertz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

Found another pic on my phone. Found something else, not sure if this is 2.0L specific or not, but 3 studs holding the intake manifold on and angled spark plugs were on the 914 2.0L. This pic shows more than 3 studs, but we're thinking this is 1.7/1.8L.

Anyway, just thought I would add the pic, it may help.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

MacLeod Willy wrote:
The dipstick would come out the the rear of the fan housing through a rubber tube in behind that will be leaking. ;-D

There is a flange on the right side, top rear that can be drilled for a stick.
OR
You can make a plate to replace the stick so it directs the stick straight up through a hole beside the thermostat cable

The dipstick would only come through/out of the fan housing on a bus or 411/412 wagon.

On the 914 (all) 411 and 412 sedans (two and four door) it came out of the top of the case on one side of the oil breather (right side in 411/412 and left side on 914).

The flanges were cast in for the lower/long dipstick mount...but only drilled through on bus and type 4 car wagon use.) Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

ve7kilohertz wrote:
Ray, thank you for the diagrams. I think maybe the trailing arms were on it...man it was only yesterday and I can't remember.

Now that I think about it, he pointed to another transaxle on the ground and said he attached that to start it and run it, and also when I tried to turn it over, I grabbed the flywheel, pretty substantial flywheel, not a flex plate like would be on an automatic. Does VW use a flywheel with the automatic or is it the usual flex plate and torque converter for mass? The flywheel was probably 1.25-1.5" thick??

If I decide to go for it, I will then be able to get the numbers from it, and get much better pics from all angles, and we'll then be able to figure it out. The other big difference in the 914, is the exhaust points out the back of the engine, ie towards the firewall tin, but I didn't get any decent pics of underneath the head to see what pipes might be there.

I'll continue looking at web pics to see if I recognize anything. I may just go there again, with my trailer tomorrow and pick it up, just for the hell of it. Always like a new challenge. As mentioned, there is probably enough stuff there that I won't lose money, and I have 20 acres so why not another engine and buggy. Laughing

Thanks!

The VW used a flexplate to attache the torque converter to for an automatic transmission...but...its the same bolt pattern and seal for a manual transmission flywheel.

You can bolt up a flywheel and use either a 914 manual trans bell housing, a type 4 004 manual trans, several types of buss transmission or even the automatic trans case with the torque converter removed...to put a starter on it too turn it over. Ray
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

I'm gonna guess that it's a 411 motor, at least the fan shroud anyways, as shown by the fresh air rubber bellows attached. Bus/914 did not use that.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
I'm gonna guess that it's a 411 motor, at least the fan shroud anyways, as shown by the fresh air rubber bellows attached. Bus/914 did not use that.

I think you may be right...but i went bqck to the very first pictures. Yes....it has the 411 bellows that shows it "may" have come from a 411/412 wagon....and is missjng the top mounted dip stick. ....again like a 411/412......or bus.

But....it has bus heater boxes. It may be a franken-motor. Ray
ve7kilohertz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

Well with all the help, I kind of feel obliged to go get it so we can solve the mystery. Very Happy Think I'll go get it tomorrow, hopefully it stops snowing..real heavy wet here tonight. I'll then take some proper pics and post them here.

Thanks guys!!

Cheers
ve7kilohertz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

After posting that last picture I did some more research, and looking at the picture, I can now see injectors still in there, so this at least was a fuel injected engine, and from what I have read, use different cams, and may not be as good with carbs....but we're getting closer to ID'ing it. More later.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this engine worth picking up? Reply with quote

ve7kilohertz wrote:
After posting that last picture I did some more research, and looking at the picture, I can now see injectors still in there, so this at least was a fuel injected engine, and from what I have read, use different cams, and may not be as good with carbs....but we're getting closer to ID'ing it. More later.

The EFI cams were fine with carbs. The issue with EFI cams whether for D-jet or L-jet...were that they had lobe center around 106-108 to produce smooth vacuum signature.

The D-jet cams had a particular intake valve timing pattern because D-jet is triggered from a cam in the distributor. Its not odd...just specific.
Carburetors dont notice these details other than the lobe center making for a rather mild cam.

The firewall tin on the bell housing end kind of marks it as 411/412 http://www.vw-classicparts.info/kataloge/Typ4VW411412/index-sd.html#/74

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: