Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch assembly on a 1968 Porsche 912
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Clutch assembly on a 1968 Porsche 912 Reply with quote

I just reinstalled the gearbox and engine in the 1968 Porsche 912 after an engine tune-up and by taking it apart I saw the clutch release bearing was worn with the ring spinning around freely.

In my mind the clutch release bearing should always be with a little gap between bearing and clutch when not activated. if not you would get teh effect of the ring wearing out and spinning freely?

so modified slightly like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This way at least at the gearbox end I can create that little gap

Bu then upon reinstallation in the car I noticed the pedal being to the floor, while I expected it to be upright. Again following my same logic.
I checked in some ads and nothing seems wrong (was thinking spring is installed wrongly and is pulling the pedal down while it should be pushing it up)
anything you see is not OK?

Or am I misunderstanding completely how it should work? Should there always be some contact between release bearing and clutch even while driving?

Thx!
Peter
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch assembly on a 1968 Porsche 912 Reply with quote

Peter, I suggest going to the 912bbs http://www.912bbs.org/vb/forum.php?s=a71d8d1ea381d29b7619c6fbd811b905

these guys are extremely knowledgeable and friendly - they helped me out tremendously when I was fixing accelerator linkage issues

also - factory manual is here --> http://www.texas912.org/Technical%20Data%20Archive.htm
although from memory, there is a difference between early and later pedal clusters - not sure when the switch took place. When I replaced mine with a freshly bushed unit, I seem to remember the clutch pedal floppy, the spring had no effect. The clutch spring is what returns the pedal, like a VW, it's in constant contact with the throwout bearing

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch assembly on a 1968 Porsche 912 Reply with quote

68 and 69 have no gap, they run against the pressure plate all the time . I know it sounds stupid but I have a 69 and that what the manual says. If you had the flywheel surfaced they should have taken equal amount off the pressure plate mounting area or you won't have enough peddle travel. Make sure you bought a 68/69 throw out bearing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: