Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torched van of Australian surfers missing in Mexico found
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Torched van of Australian surfers missing in Mexico foun Reply with quote

While there's no question one should be head's up when traveling in Mexico these days I don't think the 'scare' factor is nearly as dire as being portrayed.

Mexico is in the midst of an eccentric civil war in certain parts of their country that primarily involve the cartels vs. the feds but also includes various other rogue organizations and the usual complement of bandits and thieves. But if one follows the simple advice provided I still say the risk is low because tourists are not normally part of this domestic disturbance nor is it encouraged by the cartels and feds in particular.

There are millions of expats both living and traveling through Mexico from all over the world without incident. I know many, many Vw people who travel routinely down there that have never had a problem because they stick with those travel recommendations.

The best thing to do if hit on for a bribe, be it traffic or at the borders, is don't pay it unless you are truly at fault. Play the dumb tourist that doesn't understand the language. Smile, show respect and act like you think they want something else like to see your insurance or pics of your family. Never surrender your license or passport, just show it to them. People I know make multiple copies of their driver's license, passport, insurance, even license plates which you can hand out instead if you like. If you pay the bribes it only encourages them to continue to hit up on other tourists.

Traffic cops in particular, as already stated, will not haul you down to the police station because they don't want to and they realize if the matter gets raised to higher levels they will not win. All they want is to make a little cash on the side. None of my friends and acquaintances nor I have ever paid a bribe. The cops will leave if you are patient and play along when they realize they are not going to get anything.

Military checkpoints like when driving down Baja have never been a big deal. They may have a quick look inside your rig and on occasion if you have a nice flashlight or something small they may pilfer it. That's why I say don't take anything valuable down, put everything out if sight, don't look 'rich' but don't look like an easy target either.

For first timers I say travel with others to get a feel for the lay of that land. It's best to avoid those site specific areas where the civil war is intense. Border towns/cities and certain regions are known for greater violence.

Don't travel out in the boonies, especially at night, where bandits may roam. Those unfortunate Australians were unaware and violated several rules of travel down there.

The cartels and the feds both want tourism for the money infusion. Years ago two bandits stopped a train heading up to the Sierra Madre's and robbed people. Things got out of hand and a Swiss tourist was murdered. It so happens the Sierra Madre's are 'owned' by the drug lords and they employ their families & friends running all the tourist shops and other businesses around there. In short order those two bandits were caught by the drug lords and they made a 'statement' with them too grisly to mention here other than to say there have been no train robberies since. It was bad for business.

Yes, if you go careening off on the back blue highways alone you may encounter bandits, especially at night. Just don't do this unless you are with a group.

Incidentally, the US and allies are at war. People are slow to realize this because everything seems normal in your hamlet or burg. It's not a war like WWII with set-piece battles. But San Bernadino was part of that war and the dead and wounded were casualties thereof. Not the same as the home grown mentally unbalanced or young thrill seekers shooting up a school although the net result of both have a resemblance.
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Torched van of Australian surfers missing in Mexico foun Reply with quote

Drove to Acapulco back in 1977 with 2 other mechanics. Spent New Years eve somewhere below the border, couldn't tell you where, just remember it was a party.

We did have to slip the border guard a couple of bucks or we would still be waiting to get into the traffic jamb.

We saw the best and the worst of Mexico for 1977. It was cheap and a great trip.
Would I do the same trip now..... I don't think so. Older and smarter
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Torched van of Australian surfers missing in Mexico foun Reply with quote

MacLeod Willy wrote:
We did have to slip the border guard a couple of bucks or we would still be waiting to get into the traffic jamb.

No ... more likely you would have expired from lack of food and water by now.

MacLeod Willy wrote:

Probably older (like me) is more like it plus older people (like me) scare more easily and often have more to lose. I know many young people who head into Mexico all the time very cavalierly like the old farts did in their youth Wink
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Torched van of Australian surfers missing in Mexico foun Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
MacLeod Willy wrote:

No ... more likely you would have expired from lack of food and water by now.

MacLeod Willy wrote:

Probably older (like me) is more like it plus older people (like me) scare more easily and often have more to lose. I know many young people who head into Mexico all the time very cavalierly like the old farts did in their youth Wink

I hear and understand
tlbranth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Torched van of Australian surfers missing in Mexico found Reply with quote

It's a real shame Mexico is such a dicey place to go. I'd never try it in something as prone to breakdown as a VW, but I've always wanted to travel down there by motorcycle. I asked a Goldwing forum member, who lives in central Mexico, if it would be a reasonable thing to do and he said 'don't even think about it'. He said we'd risk being killed by bandits for our bike. 'How about if we were in a group?' I asked. 'They'd kill all aof you' he said. That's not counting the corrupt officials. So Mexico's out for me, unfortunately.

1991 Westfailure. 2004 Forester 2.5 engine. 4speed Standard transmission.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Torched van of Australian surfers missing in Mexico found Reply with quote

I wouldn't risk mainland Mexico, but wouldn't think twice about Baja:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=659740
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Torched van of Australian surfers missing in Mexico found Reply with quote

I recently talked to a guy who, at some point interviewed US citizens in Mexican jails. He said that 1/4 of the US citizens in Mexican jails were there because they witnessed a crime. The authorities know that if they let a tourist witness go, then they will never come back for the court case.

I don't know how things are today in that respect, but keep that in mind before being a witness to anything.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information

Last edited by Lind on Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Torched van of Australian surfers missing in Mexico found Reply with quote

I wish I was in Tiajuana eating barbequed iguana.
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Torched van of Australian surfers missing in Mexico found Reply with quote

The Celtic Frost version of Mexican radio is the best...Have a good friend driving down to Chiapas right now. She uses an ap do determine road/hotel safety ,which is continually updated. I will find out what it is. Much of the country is questionable at this time.
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Torched van of Australian surfers missing in Mexico found Reply with quote

Do ya think you'd hear that on Mexican radio ohohohhh?

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: