Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Baja build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

wyattsdad wrote:
don't forget about window crank interference. I have same cage and got it far forward as possible.

Thank you, I hadn't thought of that. I'll slide them on tonight and see if I can roll the windows up and down.

I'm going to add a bar below rear seat and above shift rail to mount the rear seat to. Going to add a bar behind rear seat for seat belts. Probably going to make a pin in bar behind front seats for belts, but kids still need to be able to get in the backseat.

If anybody has any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

One other note about those shock towers.

It appears that the gussets on the inboard sides of the towers were left off for clearance. So the towers lack sideways strength.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

No updates. I had to put my best friend down yesterday. She went everywhere with me and had spent every minute out in the garage while I was working on the baja. If she was sleeping and I tried to sneak out to work on it without her, she would stand at the door and bark. I went out to work on it today, but without her with me, I couldn't do it.

This was her last trip to the Sand Dunes, where we will drive the Baja when it's complete.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Great Pyrenees?

Cool looking dog and it sounds like a real close friend as well.

Sorry for your loss.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Newfoundland, very close to Great Pyrenees (all white).

Thank you Dustymojave
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

I only have 5 dogs...I GET the dog deal.

Quote:
I'm going to add a bar below rear seat and above shift rail to mount the rear seat to. Going to add a bar behind rear seat for seat belts. Probably going to make a pin in bar behind front seats for belts, but kids still need to be able to get in the backseat.

If anybody has any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears.

I have a 3 seater Baja. Access to the back seat requires that the shoulder bar lift.

This shot through the window doesn't show the belts, but the front shoulder bar, back seat and the bar under the window for the back seat shoulder belts show.

Note that the cage is similar in the rear bars to yours, so your rear shoulder bar would be similar. That bar is about 1/2" away from the firewall for belt clearance. It would be good for supporting a firewall-mount type rear bumper.

This shot shows how the front shoulder bar pins in place. I used 1/2" pins. SCCA and SCORE allow 3/8" pins for removable bars in roll cages. The tube for the pins is the same 3/4" x .120 wall that gets used for shock mount bosses.

The pins have to go through the tab on one side, then through the tube, then through the tab on the far side, then the hole has to open up so the detent ball on the pin comes out of the pin shank and hold the pin in place.

For relatively small kids, who are big enough to fasten their own 5-point belts properly, it's usually EZ enough for them to climb in under the bar, so the bar doesn't need to be removed. Once my son got to about 12 or 13, he was too big to climb under. It can be a struggle to put small kids in booster seats and the belts don't fit child seats right. The under the butt boosters are generally cool for 5-points though. 2" 5-point belts with stitched or otherwise pre-fastened shoulder straps would probably be best for kids.
SoCalBajas Member
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

I got back to work on the Baja today. Starting to get a bit easier with a little bit of confidence painting. My wife was against me painting the exterior, today I painted the rear deck lid. She took a look after it dried and said I guess you can paint the car.

I'm thinking about painting the front end, then the rear fenders, then the body. Try to keep the area I'm painting smaller by doing one at a time. As always I'm open to any tips.

Tomorrow I pull the rest of the wiring out, I ordered the 12 circuit Rebel wire VW harness.
Dave T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Your engine codes. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php , Dave T
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Thank you for the info DaveT.

Made some progress cleaning up the front of the car.

Starting to install rebel wiring harness tomorrow.
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

I'm going to need a few boxes of wire nuts and about 6 rolls of electrical tape, to hook all of this wire up. Very Happy

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

I recommend strongly against using wire nuts in a moving vehicle. They have a strong tendency to fall off at most awful moments... Cars have this annoying inclination to bounce and move and vibrate and all other sorts of methods to get rid of wire nuts.

At LEAST use crimp connectors.
SoCalBajas Member
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Dusty I agree 100%, I was just kidding about wire nuts and electrical tape. everything will be soldered and heat shrink or weatherpak connectors if possible. It's amazing to see wire nuts used in automotive applications, all though I think I installed many cassette players and 6x9 speakers with wire nuts many years ago. Very Happy
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

I've worked on people's Baja Bugs who thought they had blown the engine...But it turned out that a wire nut had come loose and the ignition circuit didn't have good electrical connection. I've encountered Bajas with the whole electrical system looking like a worm convention and tied all over with loose and missing wire nuts. I'm not real fond of them in cars.
Smile
SoCalBajas Member
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

I started routing some wire, then made a list of connectors and wire covering to order.

Moved onto finishing fitting seats and show bar.

Today I went to pick up a engine upgrade. We listened to it run then helped the seller pull it out. I was only wanting the engine, but came home with another 002 trans. 1915 turnkey

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

I would call that a "Roll Cage". It will actually provide a fair amount of protection in a rollover crash.

"Show bars" are those cheezy deals for lawn offroad poser pickups made out of .Oh-too-thin wall exhaust tubing that mount to sheet metal bodywork that would collapse if you set a six pack on it.
SoCalBajas Member
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Still plugging along on the wiring. Install radio and wire that and the front half should be done.
Only burned my fingers from soldering iron and heat gun several dozen times. You would think i would learn after first time or two.

Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Roll/Show Bar is all welded in.

Started installing insulation.

Installed the weaker/older trans for mock up only. I ordered a throw out bearing sleeve for other 3 rib.

Stuck the engine in to get the wiring finished up.

Fired it up to make sure all the wiring worked. Next I'll pull the engine and trans back out, to install newer tranny. Finish up wiring stop/tail lights, then I can't get going on bodywork and paint. Hoping to have baja completed by end of April.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Show Bar? That's one of those looks -like-a-roll-bar deals made of thin wall exhaust tube pickup truck wannabe's put in their trucks to look "tough". What you installed is properly called a "ROLL CAGE" and deserves being called that.

Those rear fenders will need braces underneath to keep from cracking from the tail lights. Especially since you've carved away most of the support shape that is molded into the fenders. Even if the Baja is only driven on the street, they will soon crack.
SoCalBajas Member
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Fair enough on the "roll cage" Yeah rear fenders were all broken up and repaired by PO, several times it looks like. I had thought about leaving/repairing them, but they already weighed a ton with repairs, so I just carved them up instead. I was going to run a brace from a ring around the tailight to the rear cage.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Outatime wrote:
I was going to run a brace from a ring around the tailight to the rear cage.

Mine has the same fenders, untrimmed, with stock 61-67 tail lights. I use a shelf support bracket from the inner fender panel to the bottom of the tail light.

I notice this picture doesn't look nearly as good in Photobucket as it does in my computer. It's washed out in PB. Much sharper in my computer, but re-loading it in PB gets the same.

Either your fender brace or mine will work.

The shelf bracket cost like $0.79 each at the local hardware store.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: