Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Baja build
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Just picked up this 68. kingpin, 3 rib irs conversion, 1644sp.

Goal is to upgrade the interior (rough) exterior (not much better) and some more hp this winter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Started on the interior first. I was surprised to find a "deck" under the backseat. That would explain why the stock rear seat was sitting so high. This is all getting pulled out, started with the front first.

Many sawzall and cutoff wheels later.

found three different sets of brackets, some cutoff some not.

floor boards were replaced by po, but never painted and the multiple brackets added for different seats.

now that the front seats and brackets have been removed, I can get to removing the deck/backseat.

More to come...
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Nice find.

Maybe the PO added the deck for fire protection. I remember as a little one riding in the back seat with my sister. My dad hit some "major" bumps at speed. The next thing we knew, the cabin area was filling with smoke, and the back seat was starting to catch on fire. As we discovered, if the back seat is compressed enough, it can make contact with the battery. This created a dead short on the seat base, and caught the horse hair on fire.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Good point on the fire protection, I hadn't thought of that.

Got the backseat out.

I can add wiring to the upgrade/repair list this winter.

If you good folks have any tips, or see me heading down the wrong road, please don't hesitate to let me know. I've worked on many other cars, but not a Bug.
smileyman3000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

HEy mate. Nice find.

Looks like a solid car and you are making a great start on sorting it out.

With regards to the batteries, if you take out the timber support frame you can always just put a rubber cover over the battery terminals to prevent it shorting out.

Having the timber shelf in there can actually be very handy. You can pull the seat base out and put camping/etc gear in there of trips when you don't have to fit extra people. And then just drop the seat base back in when you need it. I'm actually doing sometimes like this in mine but a bit neater looking. You could always pull it out and cover it in marine carpet to tidy it up. This is what I am going to put on mine.

Smiley Smile
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Burning question,

What is your intended end product for your Baja? Street driving, with an occasional fire road? Or are you looking for a more off road oriented car? Just asking because those white KYBs on the front will beat you to death unless you are really pushing it. On my street/off road Baja, I went with just one heavy leaf set, and one stock and the KYB GR2s (now continentals) shocks. Now I have the best of both worlds. I don't get jarred by a candy wrapper in the road, but I can take the big hit pretty well.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Seat was raised up to clear shift rod. It is on top of the tunnel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Car will spend most of it's time on the Sand Dunes here in MI. With an occasional trip to the ice cream shop in the Summer. I figure the 1644sp will struggle on the dunes, was looking at maybe a 1915 to get started. Yes the car was very stiff both front and rear.

I've driven the car a few times before we started taking it apart. It was like riding in a tin can full of rocks. I suppose the lack of carpet, headliner or any insulation would explain the sounds in addition to the stiffness.
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Made some progress today. My son and I have been sanding for a solid week. We were able to get some primer down today.

Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Got into the wiring tonight, in the process of cleaning everything off the dash.

Does anybody know if this was an aftermarket gauge panel with the gauges built in ? The Amp gauge is either a precise fit/press or it was made this way. I can get the gauge out of the panel.

We figured out why the speedo doesn't work.

this was all old wire, not hooked up laying under the dash.

How do I get the wiper & headlight switch come out ?

Sweet cassette radio. My son said Dad what is that and how did it work ?

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

The headlight and wiper switches have screw-on knobs. Unscrew them 1st. Then the switch is held into the dash by an aluminum ring that screws into the switch. The ring has slots on either side of the shaft. There is a special tool, like a 2-prong fork crossed with a screwdriver, but you can generally get it out and back together using a pair of needle nose pliers by putting the 2 tips into the slots and rotating the ring. The threads on the ring are on the outside, it screws into the switch body.

On the amp gauge, it MIGHT have a screw-on front trim ring that holds it to the dash.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Got back to work on the Baja.

Still stripping and sanding.

This was a job scraping off 30+ years of silicone, caulk and what seemed like liquid nails.

Side shot, I think I want to cut back the fenders around both front and rear. The front is cut much more at the front, then mid wheel it gets less and less.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

[EDIT]Double post...
Somehow this one didn't show up after posting it. So I re-wrote it. It came out different. Then the 2nd wouldn't show up either. So I went on to other things. Coming back, I find them both here.

Ain't the internet entertaining?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member

Last edited by dustymojave on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Those fenders on your car front and rear are standard edge as the factory trimmed them. Unless you increase your wheel travel substantially, there should be no need to cut them back. The rear tires will hit the inner fender well before they touch the glass. I have the same fenders all around. Mine has the fronts trimmed to clear 7.00-15 tires on 10-1/4" of travel. My rears are not trimmed.

I have the impression that your state is one of those which fusses about tire coverage. So wouldn't it make sense to leave the fenders alone, especially also considering how expensive fiberglass is in your part of the country?
SoCalBajas Member
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Thank you for the info Dusty. I was trying to decide what to do. The front looks like it was trimmed more in the front than the rear.

I finished sanding and priming on the interior today. This is my first attempt at using a spray gun for anything. Prior to this it was rattle can or brush.

I used rustoleum paint, first batch mixed at 8 parts paint, 4 parts thinner and 1 part hardener. It was running pretty good, even trying to put it on lightly. Second batch I went to 3 parts thinner and continued to play with the HF spray gun. Starting laying down pretty good.

My son and I will get good at sanding runs out, but overall pretty happy with my first attempt with a gun.

Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Is this a shock extender on the lower mount ?

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Yes those are extended shock mounts. They, with 8" shock towers provide 8" of wheel travel with an 8" travel shock. If you put the same shock on the stock mount stud, you can get 10" of wheel travel.
SoCalBajas Member
oldcrow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

good looking build so far. just a note of caution.

DO NOT use news paper for making over painted surfaces (like if you where to paint a stripe) the newspaper will allow bleed through.
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Thank you for the tip oldcrow. It would've been just my luck to have the Sunday funnies bled through onto my paint job.

I haven't been able to convince the Mrs. that I can paint the outside of the car yet. She wants me to take it to somebody who knows what they are doing.
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Fedex freight showed up today with seats and cage. Cage fits like a cage made in China, so someone with ocd will be driven crazy. The bends are different right from left side in the front hoop. The roof bars are welded in different spots. Car is getting dropped off next week at welder/fabricators to try and straighten the bar out and weld it in. In the end it is what it is.

wyattsdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

don't forget about window crank interference. I have same cage and got it far forward as possible.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: