Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Oxalic is hard on the laminate if the wood is old as it has water. Heat up the water to almost untouchable before mixing the crystals and it will work faster without leaving it on as long.

Yeah this stuff is so thin and brittle in places I feel like i'm trying to re-finish some dry leaves from the yard. Some areas are worse than others. My experience was that i had to do approx. two sq inch area MAX at a time or else it would get away from me and bubble the paper thin veneer.

When i bleached the bottom of the wardrobe my method was:

Apply the acid with a small artist brush and agitate it with the brush back and forth with the grain for no more than 15-20 seconds followed by quick wipe with a wet paper towel. After that immediately dry it with compressed air. Even doing it this fast it lightened the stains a lot.

I'm thinking maybe it reacts faster in hot weather the way paint remover does, it's been pretty toasty here.

Last edited by oakman on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

I've been making a point of doing some kind of work to the westy daily. Sometimes just another coat of clear or some cabinet scraping.

A few before pics of the roller cabinet:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Close up picture of side shown above:

The side of this cabinet that sits against the ice-box is in nice shape still:

Mouse damage:

Rhombus Rollen!

Last edited by oakman on Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Love the attention to detail going on here. Keep up the updates.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

squareweave wrote:
Love the attention to detail going on here. Keep up the updates.

Thank you, glad you're enjoying it. I just saw your new single cab in the bus hunting thread, that is just awesome! Parked 50 years Shocked wow, too cool.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Does anyone make a new roller or you going to "roll" with that one? Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

that roller wheel looks a lot like clay skateboard wheels from back in the day
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Does anyone make a new roller or you going to "roll" with that one? Wink

I did a search on e-bay for 'rhombus rollen' and was surprised to see something very close by the same manufacturer although more results came up under 'rhombus roller':

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rhombus-Roller-R20390-37-5...SwzJ5XV8Mw

velvetgreen wrote:
that roller wheel looks a lot like clay skateboard wheels from back in the day

Also searched clay rollerskate wheels and there are a few that looked like suitable replacements like these from raybestos:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Raybestos-Clay-Pre...Sw0fhXklTY

I'm going to roll with the og, i think it may clean up ok..

Edit:I bought the 50x20mm Rhombus wheels in the link above so it may be dead. When they get here i will do a comparison against the original. They're not vintage clay but are the same size as the og clay wheel. It was $24 shipped for the pair and i just want one as a spare so pm me if you need one.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Well, this is the kinda site that there are probably 3 or 4 others watching that know where to get them or know the deal with them because they had to track it down 9, 15, 20 years ago for a project they did Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Well, this is the kinda site that there are probably 3 or 4 others watching that know where to get them or know the deal with them because they had to track it down 9, 15, 20 years ago for a project they did Laughing

Just trying to help my fellow hobbyists Very Happy Technology has made it so much easier to track things like this down today. Apparently the Rhombus company has been around since late 1890's or so. They make hundreds of different styles of wheels, casters etc.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Thats my point Wink I think its awesome when people dig into stuff and share.

Except maybe your nose.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Thats my point Wink I think its awesome when people dig into stuff and share.

Except maybe your nose.

Laughing

I ended up diluting the oxalic acid solution slightly with chilled water. It seemed to slow it down a bit. I also worked on it late at night when the temps cooled off.

Before:

After bleaching and a little strategic sanding. This is as far as i was willing to take it for fear of messing it up beyond repair. I only went over this area one time using the same method used on the wardrobe. After a light coat of shellac to seal it:

Also, this cabinet face is #51. The door to this cabinet has formica on the inside so the number is covered.

I realized there were no pictures of the cargo door cabinet. It's seen better days but i will do what i can to help it out:

Last edited by oakman on Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

I was looking at the roller and thought it was just fine to use despite its cracks and age. It looks nice on an even nicer finished cabinet.

I think Westfalia used numbers like that to help keep some of the stupid out. Ive noticed #'s on cabinets all through 79. Im sure its in Vanagons too.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

That's a lucky bus. Wink I hate the word shellac, reminds me of getting spanked as a kid. My mom use to give me quite the shellacking bitd. Surprised
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
I was looking at the roller and thought it was just fine to use despite its cracks and age. It looks nice on an even nicer finished cabinet.

I think Westfalia used numbers like that to help keep some of the stupid out. Ive noticed #'s on cabinets all through 79. Im sure its in Vanagons too.

Funny thing as dry and cracked as that wheel is, it actually still has some "squeeze" left in it. Run it til' it crumbles apart.. Very Happy

That Westfalia factory photo is sweet! So much going on in there. Looking at the closet doors makes me wonder if those are so-45 kits on the right and so-42 on the left? Very cool.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
That's a lucky bus. Wink I hate the word shellac, reminds me of getting spanked as a kid. My mom use to give me quite the shellacking bitd. Surprised

Ah yes, the ol' shellackin'! It builds character. Not enough shellacking happening these days i think... Very Happy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

nice work Brandon! This thread is like deja vu all over again for me! I'm glad efforts to restore the original cabinetry in my westy inspired others to take the same approach...exactly as I was hoping!

cant wait to see more progress and the finished product.

how are the ceiling panels and long panel looking?
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

sled wrote:
nice work Brandon! This thread is like deja vu all over again for me! I'm glad efforts to restore the original cabinetry in my westy inspired others to take the same approach...exactly as I was hoping!

cant wait to see more progress and the finished product.

how are the ceiling panels and long panel looking?

Thanks brutha! Your thread is the reason i'm doing what i'm doing. It's only original once. I was stoked to see your bus at BBB but missed you being there, next time..

I'm working really slow on it right now, usually in the evenings after work when it cools off or weekends. I haven't touched the long panel or the ceiling panels yet, the long panel is a mess though.

I'm currently still working on the side closet and roller cabinet, don't underestimate my slowness! I'm committed though and will see it through.

New engine and trans are in the works right now, I'm putting the original eng/trans to the side for now to deal with later.

Hoping to have this bus ready with interior finished by BBB in January! I gave myself plenty of time hopefully Laughing
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:

Thanks brutha! Your thread is the reason i'm doing what i'm doing. It's only original once. I was stoked to see your bus at BBB but missed you being there, next time..

I'm working really slow on it right now, usually in the evenings after work when it cools off or weekends. I haven't touched the long panel or the ceiling panels yet, the long panel is a mess though.

this is exactly what this kind of work takes..patience. The minute you start to rush the process, the minute something gets fucked up. I think my whole interior project took 4ish months collectively.

bummed we didnt get to chat at BBB, maybe another time when you have your bus there!
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

sled wrote:
oakman wrote:

this is exactly what this kind of work takes..patience. The minute you start to rush the process, the minute something gets fucked up. I think my whole interior project took 4ish months collectively.

bummed we didnt get to chat at BBB, maybe another time when you have your bus there!

For sure Jake! I hope to get up North in this thing and attend some of the events up there and broaden my horizon a bit.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Well, I broke my streak of working on the bus everyday. Sad It's been hot as hell here and i need an air-conditioned space to work in now that i'm getting old and soft. Laughing

Like a lot of folks, I had never heard of cabinet scraping until i ran across Sled's thread here. I wanted to post this for anyone who is interested in the process, it's worth watching. Thanks to Sled and JJJack:

jjjjack wrote:
Hadn't heard of that before either. Thought this was a nice demo:

Link

This too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_scraper

Here are some of the different scraper tools I have been using. I first started out with whatever i could find in the shop and started carefully experimenting:

The two 'master painter' scrapers both have a carbide blade and basically mimic the action that a card scraper does. By pulling it towards you, it shaves a small bit of the surface off revealing the fresh veneer beneath. Both of them have a slight curve similar to when using the card scraper as shown in the video above which keeps the corners from digging in.

Most of the clear coat in this bus is checked and comes off with very little effort, but there are some areas where it is a lot tougher. I found that each of these scrapers have been useful in different areas. You just have to work slow and make sure you are not leaving 'trenches' or digging the corners in.

The cabinet card scraper came in a set of three, although I'm not sure I will have much use for the other two on this project. I found them on e-bay:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 28

Jump to: