Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about the wiring harness. The last thing you want to use is a 40+ year old wire in your build.
jtwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the wiring harness. The last thing you want to use is a 40+ year old wire in your build.

I agree but i would atleast like to have a good template to referance if i end up building my own harness or re wiring this one.
jtwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i found a used body and most of an old dune buggy build for sale locally so i bought it. not sure of the body maker i will be posting in the id my buggy sticky. it came with most of a1835cc needing rebuild a trans, shortened 67 pan and title, as well at boxes of new and used parts.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Sand Shark.

Nice looking body!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
It is a Sand Shark.

Nice looking body!

Thank you. the owner said he thought it was an Apache body but i wasn't sure and i wasn't sure it was due to the lack of fiberglass windshield surround.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtwells wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:
It is a Sand Shark.

Nice looking body!

Thank you. the owner said he thought it was an Apache body but i wasn't sure and i wasn't sure it was due to the lack of fiberglass windshield surround.

You are correct. The Apache will also have the diamond shapped arrow head on the leading nose.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

I got a decent amount of work done today. I ripped all of the interior out, steering column, glass, doors, and the body seperated from the pan waiting for help to lift it. I will hopefully have help tomorrow.

the door hinges were rusted into place as well had been hit which was binding the hinge to the body. Thankfully i just had the torch bottles refilled.
jtwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

The body came off today after work. Tomorrow the body will be cut up. As well as hopefully will get the engine amd trans pulled then i will lay down the shortened pan that came with the DB body and see if it can be easly fixed as well as make sure it is square.
jtwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

Today the body was cut up to be taken to a scrap yard. I was originally going to try and sell the body so not to waste it but i have never seen so much bondo on one car in my life and to me it was too far gone to be saved. Also the engine was pulled and placed on a cart out of the weather.

Saved the body tag

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

Progress!

A small tip, if that transaxle will be sitting outside any length of time, smear some grease on the input shaft and splines so it does not flash rust, then chew up a pilot bearing/bushing.

jtwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Progress!

A small tip, if that transaxle will be sitting outside any length of time, smear some grease on the input shaft and splines so it does not flash rust, then chew up a pilot bearing/bushing.

Yes, i greased it then wrapped and taped a plastic bag over it.
jtwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

It's been a while since I got to work on the buggy due to school, work, and snow. But today I ordered WW floor pans for the 71 pan and tomorrow will begin prep to be able to bring the pan to be shortened. I'm most likely bringing it the Acme/Berrien in PA to have the work done. I'm trying to make as much time as possible to work on the buggy to get it on the road this summer
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtwells wrote:
jspbtown wrote:

I agree but i would atleast like to have a good template to referance if i end up building my own harness or re wiring this one.

Now that you're a proud buggy owner, consider joining the Manx Club. All fiberglass buggies are welcome, along with the pre-Manx metal Burros and Sportsters. It's only $30/year, and comes with some good benefits, such as allowing you to attend the club events each year, discounts with Meyers Manx on accessories and such, and other places.

Reason I quoted your above post about the wiring is another discount that one of our club sponsors gives a discount on. Rebel Wiring (Jeremy and Bob), give a 10% discount to club members, and have excellent harnesses. I considered building my own harness a number of times, but realized I could buy the Beetle or Deluxe Beetle wiring harness from them cheaper than buying numerous spools of different colored wire, fuse block, relays, etc... And they have the experience to do it right, will add any extra lines you need (extra gauge wires, etc..) to any of the builds. Every wire is labeled every 6-8 inches, and installation isn't that difficult (even though I milked mine out for quite a while). Joescoolcustoms uses them, along with a number of other people in the club and in the VW community in general. Haven't heard a single complaint.
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
jtwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buggy Brian wrote:
jtwells wrote:
jspbtown wrote:

Now that you're a proud buggy owner, consider joining the Manx Club. All fiberglass buggies are welcome, along with the pre-Manx metal Burros and Sportsters. It's only $30/year, and comes with some good benefits, such as allowing you to attend the club events each year, discounts with Meyers Manx on accessories and such, and other places.

Reason I quoted your above post about the wiring is another discount that one of our club sponsors gives a discount on. Rebel Wiring (Jeremy and Bob), give a 10% discount to club members, and have excellent harnesses. I considered building my own harness a number of times, but realized I could buy the Beetle or Deluxe Beetle wiring harness from them cheaper than buying numerous spools of different colored wire, fuse block, relays, etc... And they have the experience to do it right, will add any extra lines you need (extra gauge wires, etc..) to any of the builds. Every wire is labeled every 6-8 inches, and installation isn't that difficult (even though I milked mine out for quite a while). Joescoolcustoms uses them, along with a number of other people in the club and in the VW community in general. Haven't heard a single complaint.

Thank you for the info, I had heard about the club before but now that I'm really starting to dive into the project its time I join.... I just signed up as a member.
jtwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

UPDATE: so I ordered a set of 18Ga WW floors a couple of days ago and I contacted ACME/Berrien to get a updated price quote on having my pan shortened, as I had contacted them 4 month ago via email and got a rough estimate of $850-$1000 to shorten my pan if I did the floors. well I called them today to ask how much it would be I was quoted over the phone $2100 including new floors, I asked since I already ordered floors if they would install mine and not charge me the price it would cost them for the floors, and I was told that they would not do that.... idk how in 4 months it went from $1000 not including floors which I thought was reasonable to $2100 and they wouldn't even install the very high quality floors I already purchased... this leaves me to either do it myself (which I don't want to do) or just order a Complete chassis with title from Turnkey Manx which I was rough quoted about $2200-$2400 before shipping and if I read it correct there was no core so I could keep the full length pan and title I had to resell.... I'm following up with turnkeymanx at the moment and looking for anyone other reputable shop in my area that may be able to shorten vw pans.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

Very few folks left out there that will even consider taking on the modification of an automobile frame, due to the work involved and the potential for liability. While not complicated it is rather specialized. I would consider yourself fortunate to find anyone within shipping/driving distance willing to do the work, for any price.

Sounds like you have found an alternative. If the money is an issue for you though, consider looking through this forum to see how you might do it yourself, though I know you have stated you don't want to. For the expenses you've already laid out, you could buy a welder (I saw you already have a torch, maybe you already have a MIG too) and the tools needed to do the work and a lot of other fabrication you are likely to want to do later, saving you more money down the line.

Just food for thought. Good luck with your project.
jtwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
Very few folks left out there that will even consider taking on the modification of an automobile frame, due to the work involved and the potential for liability. While not complicated it is rather specialized. I would consider yourself fortunate to find anyone within shipping/driving distance willing to do the work, for any price.

Sounds like you have found an alternative. If the money is an issue for you though, consider looking through this forum to see how you might do it yourself, though I know you have stated you don't want to. For the expenses you've already laid out, you could buy a welder (I saw you already have a torch, maybe you already have a MIG too) and the tools needed to do the work and a lot of other fabrication you are likely to want to do later, saving you more money down the line.

Just food for thought. Good luck with your project.

I do have a Miller MIG welder but have very little time behind it. I weld up small brackets and little things but do not want to take the chance (expecially knowing how I drive) on something that could cause me to get into an accident if I hit a pot hole going down the highway or because it wasn't welded back square enough. plus all my work is done outside with nothing close to a level surface. I just feel time and safety wise having a professional do it would be in my best interest. Thankfully even though I'm a full time college student I have a decent job that can allow me to save up for bigger ticket items. but who knows before its over I might be cutting this thing apart in my back yard and taking my chances. it all kind of depends on if the Turnkey manx chassis ends up working out for me or not.
jtwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

I have been in contact with Brad over at Turn Key Manx this past week and I have decided to purchase one of their pans. They are very busy preparing for the upcoming manx club event so my pan should be ready to ship around the 28th. If their work is half as good as the pictures look, and their communication is, I know I will be more then happy with the pan. I'm very excited to get it and real start moving forward on the build. My spring break starts on the 14th so as long as the weather can hold out (it is currently snowing outside) over break I can finish disassembling the 71 pan for everything I will need. Then post it for sale on CL for someone else who may need a pan and title.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

Have you made sure there will not be any issues with getting a title and registering it in your state?
jtwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Have you made sure there will not be any issues with getting a title and registering it in your state?

I was told it will be a clean California pre 75 vw title. I made sure I let them know the main reason for staying with a vw pan was the title and registration issues I would have in my state.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: