Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve shimming preload
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Valve shimming preload Reply with quote

i just checked my workshop manual and it reports same value for all model except for s90.
can anybody with good kboweledge of valve spring shimming confirm or give the right values for sc valve preload. thx
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: valve shimming preload Reply with quote

Anybody with c sc workshop manual?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: valve shimming preload Reply with quote

They are different. Take a look at the decal you can at present buy new.

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/Valve-Clearance-Decal-Super-90-356SC-60-65-p20091.html

Roy
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: valve shimming preload Reply with quote

If you're talking valve clearance, then according to the manuals the Normals and Supers were different as well. I just run .006 inch across the board when I adjust the valves and I have never had any problems. I check and adjust them every 3000 miles when I also change the oil, although one time the Roadster went 22 years without an adjustment--it saw a lot fewer miles back then to be fair, but still...
ozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: valve shimming preload Reply with quote

Hi thx
actually i m speaking of spring shimming... how many shims to lunt i
under valve spring to give correct preload... different thing
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: valve shimming preload Reply with quote

Okay, think I am clear now.

The 'Elfrink' book describes the spring compression method for super 90 engines. Below is text I have copied direct from the this book.

When fitting single valve springs to Super 90 engines be sure that the tension is at least 94kg ( 199 lbs ) with the spring compressed to 30.15mm

Installed tlength is 41.00mm for the intake and 40.00mm for the exhaust valve.
Shims are used to achieve the desired compression. An additional 1.5mm steel ring is used under the spring with super 90 engines.

In the latter case be sure the spring rests on the steel ring and not on the shims. The closely wound part of the spring must rest on the steel ring.

Gauge P10 for gauging the installed length of the valve spring. Measure with the keys and retainer to be used in actual assembly.

Your tappet clearance is .006" intake and .004" exhaust ( super 90 )

I can see a photo of the P10 gauge in use it looks a nice bit of inspection kit but no idea how it performs or how it is set.

I only run a 356A super and that P10 is not shown in my factory book as it must have been produced in the 356B range ?

Maybe the info might help. Better if someone who has done the job on a super90 (SC ) advises a clearer method?

Roy
ozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: valve shimming preload Reply with quote

Ok. On track..... the point is my hayness say that c and sc shming is same and that only s90 is different.... the point is that i d like to have a value from other book or better original workshop manual....
valve load is affecting max rpm.... so my think is that sc should be same as s90.... but ... the big but is that actually the s90 valve are bigger and heavier while c and sc are the same....
so c and sc shimming are same because valve weight is same or sc and s90 are same because of higher rpm????
cornemuse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Valve shimming preload Reply with quote

My book (Kenneth Bell Autopress LTD - printed in England 1970)

shows all '57 - '65 intake 004 exhaust 006

EXCEPT (typing from book) "356B from engine No. P.84771 with light alloy bracket and pushrods, 1600SC and 1600S.90: intake 006 exhaust 004

This book has maintenence instructions for optional 'ZF' limited slip differentials, even. Never saw this in any other book (This diff had/has little pins that 'click' back & forth, no spider gears. Interesting, , ,)

-c-
ozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Valve shimming preload Reply with quote

Ok thx.
and what it say about valve shimming for c?
42,5 mm? 41.5? Anything similar to s90 or a b?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: