Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me get my 68 squareback resurrected!
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdubThee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Help me get my 68 squareback resurrected! Reply with quote

I'm attempting to revive my 68 squareback that's been sitting for 5 years. Prior to parking it, I had her gone over by a VW mechanic who sorted out all the major issues. It ran fine for a while, but started to gradually run rougher and rougher. Eventually it would start, but couldn't stay running for more than a few seconds. I didn't have the money or energy to spend any more time with her, and so she was parked. Crying or Very sad

In preparation to sell, I would like to at least get her running. The pictures give an idea of what I'm dealing with.

One issue I remember from years back.... The spark plugs seemed to be shorting on the engine compartment lid. Do I need right angle plugs? Should I swap carb gaskets while I'm at it?

I'm already working on cleaning out the gas tank...

by the way I've got almost no automotive experience or VW knowledge, but am willing to learn and pretty handy in general.

any wisdom will be greatly appreciated Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by IdubThee on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, definitely get a set of angled plug wires. You can use Bosch wires for a 68 to 73 type 3, as they have the correct ends at the distributor cap, and are long enough for use with your carbs.

As for pulling the carbs and changing the gaskets, that might be a prudent thing to do, since it looks like you've got a converted bug engine in there, and might have the metal bug gaskets in place (you really want the thick paper style). While I had them off, I'd drill and tap the manifolds for a balance tube, to help make the engine run smoother at idle. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
IdubThee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fabric covered fuel hose is known to have pinhole leaks in it eventually. Shocked
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdubThee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll replace those. I'm working on cleaning and sealing the tank right now. Drained the gas, rust inside wasn't awful but I got the por-15 kit and pulled out the tank...

Any links to more info on those carb balance tubes?
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move the fuel filter out of the engine bay. It's a fire hazard waiting to happen sadly. correct plug woes will help, and as stated before, changing manifold gaskets wo be good, but not required unless you're thinking they might be leaking. Might be good to clean off anyways. Also check your linkage to ensure the carbs are opening equally, that gave me fits until I figured it out.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdubThee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is an alternative location for fuel filter?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdubThee wrote:
Where is an alternative location for fuel filter?

In the rubber hose beside the transmission, or up front under the fuel tank.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
IdubThee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In place of the fuel filter, should I use a connector in it's place, or route the line from front straight to the fuel pump?
IdubThee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me get my 68 squareback resurrected! UPDATE! Reply with quote

so...

after some detours, i finally got the engine to start! The time has come to adjust the idle and attempt to synchronize the carbs I believe. The idle RPM in John Muir's book is 600 for type 3 and I think 900 for bugs. My question is what number should I be aiming for with this aftermarket engine?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Help me get my 68 squareback resurrected! Reply with quote

The Muir book is cute but I wouldn't rely on it for specifications - get the Bentley manual.

600 rpm is low. I have seen two different specs for Type 3 idle speed, both from VW sources. I've seen 750 rpm plus or minus 50 rpm and 850 rpm plus or minus 50.

I like to keep mine on the higher end of the latter spec, somewhere between 850 and 900 rpm.

I figure it keeps the oil pressure up, keeps cooling air flow up a bit, keeps heater output up (in the winter), and keeps the generator spinning a bit faster.
IdubThee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me get my 68 squareback resurrected! Reply with quote

engine is running okay... but i've got a fair amount of gas dripping from connection at top of fuel pump and at t connection in middle. Can I swap lines for generic pep boys stuff, or do I have to get the braided vw line?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me get my 68 squareback resurrected! Reply with quote

I used standard 5/16" reinforced rubber Goodyear/Gates etc fuel hose on my fuel injected '69. I had to buy bigger worm drive clamps for the bigger outside diameter 5/16" hose. I think carburetors use a little small 1/4"? The new braided stuff from Germany is still funky & will develop pinhole leaks according to Russ Wolfe. He had a big roll of new Continental braided fuel hose, but refused to sell any of it to us because of leaks he had when using it! Shocked
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me get my 68 squareback resurrected! Reply with quote

IdubThee wrote:
engine is running okay... but i've got a fair amount of gas dripping from connection at top of fuel pump and at t connection in middle. Can I swap lines for generic pep boys stuff, or do I have to get the braided vw line?

Yes. And since you have carbs, use 1/4 inch hose from the end of the fuel filter to the pump, and out of the pump to the "T" and then to the carbs. The 1/4 inch hose fits the carb and fuel pump fittings better than the 5/16ths hose Mike suggested, and it fits better than the cloth 8mm hose you currently have on there.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
IdubThee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me get my 68 squareback resurrected! Reply with quote

UPDATE:

I finally got the engine running pretty swell after replacing the fuel pump, plugs, points, rebuilt carbs, and tuned the whole thing...then I didn't start the car for about 3 months or so until just the other day. Now it won't start. The battery is fully charged and it turns over, but it won't stay running more than one or two gasps. In theory, shouldn't it start fairly well considering how well tuned it was when I last started it? I don't know where to start since when I left it, I had gone through everything. Maybe add fresh gas?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me get my 68 squareback resurrected! Reply with quote

yes, fresh gasoline and a couple squirts of gas down the carbs will help to get it started so the fuel pump can do it's thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: