Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Sounds good but your valves sound a little loud or clattery. Does it have solid lifters or hydraulic? Have you adjusted them lately?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Sounds good but your valves sound a little loud or clattery. Does it have solid lifters or hydraulic? Have you adjusted them lately?

Irk for sure, but it should have solid lifters. It's a 1700cc CB. And last adjustment is unknown.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Hey Spike, Are you going to Yipsi Wink ?

Wait, what is in Ypsilanti and when? I read that wrong the first time.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
veg-head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Just read your 8 pages of bus restoration, wow you did an awesome job. Ck out the show j in Ypsilanti if you get a chance more info in the show page. I would love to talk to you about your bus.

Michigan Vintage Volkswagen Festival 29, Ypsilanti, Michigan ... Riverside Park
Two Day Festival :
- Saturday 5/21/16 :
9:30 am Meet at Riverside Park for Cruise to Yankee Air Museum Visit for VW Slow Slalom Run at Willow Run Airport, then return to Riverside Park for a Concert in the Park with the Magic Bus Band.
Vintage Volkswagen's will be displayed along the River during the Concert.
- Sunday 5/22/16 :
29th Annual Michigan Vintage Volkswagen Festival ... Show & Swap Meet
9:00 am Registration
Get The Complete Details at :
http://www.mvvc.net/eventpages/Festival%202016/festival.php#schedule1
Always a Great Event in the Park alon
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

veg-head wrote:
Just read your 8 pages of bus restoration, wow you did an awesome job. Ck out the show j in Ypsilanti if you get a chance more info in the show page. I would love to talk to you about your bus.

Michigan Vintage Volkswagen Festival 29, Ypsilanti, Michigan ... Riverside Park
Two Day Festival :
- Saturday 5/21/16 :
9:30 am Meet at Riverside Park for Cruise to Yankee Air Museum Visit for VW Slow Slalom Run at Willow Run Airport, then return to Riverside Park for a Concert in the Park with the Magic Bus Band.
Vintage Volkswagen's will be displayed along the River during the Concert.
- Sunday 5/22/16 :
29th Annual Michigan Vintage Volkswagen Festival ... Show & Swap Meet
9:00 am Registration
Get The Complete Details at :
http://www.mvvc.net/eventpages/Festival%202016/festival.php#schedule1
Always a Great Event in the Park alon

If she is running well by then, I may swing by for the swap meet. I have some parts I need. But I wouldn't stay the whole time.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Time for an update. It's been a while. I've got all my lights working. Although I only have brake lights and reverse lights if I have my running lights on. I can deal with that for now. I have adjusted the valves. And no longer have a rod knock. I have changed the oil, oil filter, gas, and gas filter. And found that I have the dreaded 009 distributor without vacuum advance. Kinda sucks, but I'll work with it for now. So it is running, poorly. I think it has a lot to do with the timing. But I need to purchase a timing light jn order to set the timing because of the 009 distributor.

No new pics/Vida right now. But I'll try and get some soon.

khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Time for an update. It's been a while. I've got all my lights working. Although I only have brake lights and reverse lights if I have my running lights on. I can deal with that for now. I have adjusted the valves. And no longer have a rod knock. I have changed the oil, oil filter, gas, and gas filter. And found that I have the dreaded 009 distributor without vacuum advance. Kinda sucks, but I'll work with it for now. So it is running, poorly. I think it has a lot to do with the timing. But I need to purchase a timing light jn order to set the timing because of the 009 distributor.

Meh, what carb? My 009 runs fine with my 1600sp with a static time. I will set the timing further with a timing light but its not necessary to get it running.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

Meh, what carb? My 009 runs fine with my 1600sp with a static time. I will set the timing further with a timing light but its not necessary to get it running.

It's running, just poorly. And I have dual webber itc's on a 1700cc type 4.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

So, yesterday I was unaware of how soft the metal of the oil pressure switch was. I stripped the top of that switch right off... I got really lucky and managed to drill it out just right and scrape the rest out. I didn't even damage the threads. Here is what I got out after drilling. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the new one.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

The tuning up process is going well. I'm learning to tune carbs, set my lash, and set my timing. It is running pretty well, but I'm still too advanced I noticed last night. So I'll be adjusting that correctly Wednesday and buttoning up things so I can go for a test drive! I'll get pictures or videos soon. My phone died last night

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Alright. Update: here is a video of it running. Still working through an oil leak (I think from the oil pressure switch/senseor) and working on getting the carbs balanced better. Please let me know your thoughts. Does she sound healthy to you? Like a sick dog? What should I check and clean or replace?

https://youtu.be/5cp3mpgsk1s

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

After a little drilling, I got the trim pieces on and looking good Laughing and other than that I have been working on tuning up the engine still. It runs well once it gets about 15 second of keeping it going with the throttle. But if I don't give it has to begin with, it starts then dies as soon as I turn off the starter. Thoughts? (I haven't researched that symptom yet, I bet I can find someone who has this same issue)

Anyways: pictures!

Oh I also got the bumper brackets on and am working on getting the last of the bolts for the bumpers before putting them on.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I TOOK A TEST DRIVE!

It went well.

The goods:
1)The engine ran strong. I only got up to maybe 30mph but it seemed to push the bus with ease.
2)not too much oil leaking, and it is only leaking when rpm's reach 2000+. (So basically just not at idle) but it has been getting less as I take out oil, and my oil is still reading full, so I may just have to much oil? Thoughts?

Needs improvement:
1)it's idling a little fast.
2) it's rough changing gears. It just doesn't want to go into gear. It doesn't grind gears though. (Could this be in connection to the high idle?)
3)Squeaky, lots of squeaks from around the bus, nothing from the engine bay that I can tell though.
4) fuel pump is starting to click loudly more often. (I can post a video of that if requested)
5) it's smokey. I have a little smoke in the engine bay. Which is fairly expected, it is not a clean engine right now by any means. But what I do have a question about is that I have smoke coming out of the the black box on top of the engine, here is a picture of it, what's it called? Is it an issue to have smoke coming out of it? And what is it for? Should it be plugged?

Oh, and a side note, I do have some seafoam in my gas currently. In case someone finds that pertinent.

So lots of needs improvement, but it is up and running again! Just needs some tlc, for the oil leak, missing tin piece, and shifting.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

So I have an understanding of the crankcase ventilation now. It is smoking still, so I may change my oil to something a bit thinner. I also adjusted the shifting plate last night, which seemed to help with getting into first and second a lot. Which I am very happy about. And I also put in front seat belts, which fit awesome! Super happy with those. I'll keep you posted as I move forward and try to get you more pictures soon

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Changed oil again today in hopes of fixing a leak, no lick, looks like I'll be changing oil cooler seals this week. Here is a post that I have going with more details about switching to a thinner oil. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8096297#8096297

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

So I think I found my oil leak. I odered the new seal, and will hopefully get this all back together soon.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I got the fan shroud off, it's kind of a piece, and cleaned out the engine a bit. I got a decent amount of crud off the 3-4 cylinder heads and the oil cooler. I then tested the oil cooler for leaks (it looks damaged, a few fins were misshaped and the side was a bit dinged up), it leaked... so I think I have sourced one from a local shop called Monks Motors, they claim only German parts so hopefully they have a good used one. They say they should have a new one too, but it's 130$... I don't want to spend that much if I don't have to. Anyways, the night was spent cleaning. Here are some pictures.

Before:

After: or partway for the fan shroud unless I can get half a one of those too... it's really pretty messed up...

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I got a few things buttoned up. Like the passenger door inside handle is now working, the passenger now has a windshield wiper, the people sitting in the back seat now have seat belts, and the engine is running really well. Just one more small oil leak to fix (may have already fixed it last night, but we'll see). Ill get some pictures one I get the bumper brakets made and my carpet kit in. It may be next week since I wont have time this weekend due to a wedding in ohio.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

So, I have it put together for the most part now. (Still have: Parking brake, glove box, some wiring not working) but carpet kit is in, back bumper is on, some other bits and pieces.

I tried to take her home from the shop today, it didn't go well, here is a link to the forum discussion on troubleshooting:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8118906#8118906

And time for pictures:

The carpet:

Sun visors

Bumper

The front emblem is just sitting there, I'm keeping it off for a little bit until we leave Detroit. But it looks nice.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Well, I have been working on getting my engine running well. I'm still having a problem when I'm on the gas more than a quarter throttle it will sputter and die.I'm not sure if it is lean or rich or if my tuning abilities are really that bad.

What I've done: new coil, new condenser and points, valve adjustment (X3), oil, spark plugs, compression test, timing, care rebuild, relocated my fuel pump and filter outside the engine bay, and replaced fuel lines (most of them. Some seem good still)

Here are the plugs in order from cylinder 1-4:

My compression test yielded decent. From cylinder 1-4 the results were: 115, 110, 115, 125

I really think the jetting on my carbs is off quite a bit. I'm thinking I'll have someone RE-jet and tune it. I just need to get it running well enough to get it to a reputable shop...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 30

Jump to: