Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Ratwell's site is awesome, the problem is with a lot of the stuff regarding the dual carb 1800cc motor, most of the information is stated but not shown. I'm working on it, trying to line things up according, and if successful, I'll post here to share the information for future reference.
Peace!
From a dumbass in Arky,
Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17911&cat=&page=1
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Just keep plugging away, I think you're gonna come out on top. It always takes more time and money than we think it should.

Question Tcash, how did you hilight the circuit in question on that wiring diagram on the previous page?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

I appreciate gents, and I have been using the German Supply website for a vacuum diagram, it's the only one regarding the 1800cv dual carb setup I've been able to find. Nice job, tagging the link for all those folks out there TCash.
Video expected tomorrow, and of happy rejoice!
Sam

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17911&cat=&page=1

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158895&highlight=german+supply

You need to read the last few pages of German Supplies feedback thread.
Personally, I wouldn't waste your time with them...

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Looking good! Do not forget the oil Smile

Pace yourself, make sure everything is tight, double check the fuel lines, have a fire extinguisher handy, when you're ready your work will pay off!

Exciting!
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Oh yea, crank it for a bit with the coil disconnected...
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Yesterday consisted of building up oil pressure in the motor, as mentioned by removing the coil wire from the distributor and starter the motor up. Did so at least 15 times for 5 seconds or more.
Fuel lines are ran, clean and neatly. Carbs are getting great fuel. I'm getting spark on all four cylinders.
This evening between jobs will be wiring up my idle air solenoids on the carbs (think it has something to do with not running??!? Laughing ) and checking my chokes. Still reaching out to locate good, used 12v chokes. I believe I will have to fired up and running today. Left off AC compressor for the time being, as I have repairs to do to the under dash unit housing, the sun and heat have had its way with it all.
Also going to check timing one more time. I'll definitely capture a video, once it's worthwhile to roll the credits.
Have a great day guys, from the heat of the south,
Sam

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Until I get some more video up, here is the motor finally running!! Of course I need to complete the vacuum lines, adjust timing and tweak the tuning in the carbs. But all in all, I am very happy to once again having a running motor in the bus. One step closer to successful cruising under the sunshine, making memories.
Curt, the muffler is definitely louder than stock! Laughing Cool
From 10 months, having a motor running on one cylinder, to today, even though it's been a very long week and with much work ahead still yet, I am very proud and grateful to ALL of you good people. Family of strangers. With so much encouragement to those who share similar passions. I hope to meet you all one show at a time, Push Pop and I will be pleased to hang and share stories.
One milestone down, let's keep cruising, because life is good, going up and downhill, sometimes we go a little faster one way than the other. Especially in our buses!
https://instagram.com/p/BExDfI8ILry/

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Nice job! I'll agree with you. That muffler is LOUD. Shocked

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Just keep plugging away, I think you're gonna come out on top. It always takes more time and money than we think it should.

Question Tcash, how did you hilight the circuit in question on that wiring diagram on the previous page?

It is located in the wiring diagrams. Top right of page, Technical>Wiring Diagrams. I believe telford dorr has done most of these . It is done with overlays using Gimp.

Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Applause Sweet, sounds like it is hitting on all four.

Good going
Tcash
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Yay! Congratulations!! Applause Dancing

That has got to be a great feeling!!

Were you able to break in the cam today? If so, then you'll need to get it driving enough to seat the rings, too.

Good for you! Total motivation...
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
It is done with overlays using Gimp.

Tcash

Thanks!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

So scanning through the Samba, I came across this AWESOME GEM!
Thank you Amskeptic, this has done something great for me, no more searching or question. I am so relieved. Vacuum line puzzle has begun to be solved.
Heres the link:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...51d4f4469a

Man I love it how we all try to be a little resourceful to one another, it just makes the world that much easier and enjoyable. Much appreciation, now to get to work!!

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Congrats on the progress. Think about how much you've learned since you got the bus that you wouldn't have learned if it was running and driving then. I think you are probably better off in the long term of bus ownership.

You ready to drive that bad boy? Cool
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Tcash wrote:

I've had good luck with Scott. I call him when something is needed in a week or so, and I allow that it can still be held up coming thru customs, or transferring from Canadian shipping to US shipping. Scott has always been good to me. The guy can get 150 e-mails in a day asking if he has this or that, and what shipping will be. If it takes 5 minutes to answer an e-mail X 150 that is 750 minutes just answering e-mails. That is over 12 hours just to answer e-mails of, "do you have this and how much is shipping, can you do any better / how do I install it..."
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
The guy can get 150 e-mails in a day asking if he has this or that, and what shipping will be. If it takes 5 minutes to answer an e-mail X 150 that is 750 minutes just answering e-mails. That is over 12 hours just to answer e-mails of, "do you have this and how much is shipping, can you do any better / how do I install it..."

It's nice that you had good service with Scott. I never bought anything because what I wanted continued to be out of stock, and no answer to my inquiry about when it will be. But sorry, your above rationale doesn't cut it. First, it is unlikely he gets that many emails in a day. If he does, that means two things: He is swamped with irritated customers, or his business is doing so well that he needs help.

You need to read through the complaints. There are too many of them with the same theme. And customs delay accounts for very little of the problem. And finally, don't try to take me to school about small business, customer service, etc.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Tcash wrote:

I've had good luck with Scott. I call him when something is needed in a week or so, and I allow that it can still be held up coming thru customs, or transferring from Canadian shipping to US shipping. Scott has always been good to me. The guy can get 150 e-mails in a day asking if he has this or that, and what shipping will be. If it takes 5 minutes to answer an e-mail X 150 that is 750 minutes just answering e-mails. That is over 12 hours just to answer e-mails of, "do you have this and how much is shipping, can you do any better / how do I install it..."

I'm not trying to get in a battle about this with you or anyone else. I will say I've been in the customer service field for decades. I know what it takes to make customers happy, loyal and want to share w/everyone they know how great a business is. Think Volksbitz for a VW vendor example.

As Wasted Youth already stated, there's simply no excuse for his horrific lack of communication, service and slow as molasses in the winter time shipping. Zero... Would you tolerate that level of service from your internet provider when it's down? You're simply ignored for weeks when you are trying to reach out to them and find out the status of when your internet will be back up again? I remember VIVIDLY trying to reach Scott on my one and only order with him. Multiple emails never got a response. Voice mails were left with him and were never returned. The ironic part? I saw Scott posting on this site, in the forums day after day while he had no time to reply to my (and i'm sure plenty of others) requests for information or status of our orders. That's simply BS..

Small business or not, there's FAR TOO MANY VW parts vendors that provide good service, fast communication and same day shipping, then to tolerate that SEVERE level of pathetic business practices from him..

I'm glad you've had luck with this vendor. You're clearly in the minority here as his feed back thread clearly demonstrates..

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Oh cmon guys, each and every one of us have the right to use who we wish for servicing our VW needs. It is up to us to do our research for vendor satisfaction before handing over money. We do reviews and research on almost anything anymore, so it's the nature of the game.
Which reminds me I sent a gentleman $170 off the Samba almost a month ago with nothing yet... Rolling Eyes I should probably follow back up with that stuff

As for the bus motor, tinkered a little more today with it, hooking up the throttle cable, blower motor for the heater, and cleaning up wiring for the time being.
I only rebuilt the heads, new Pistons and liners, seals, gaskets, fuel pump, rebuilt carbs, vacuum lines, blasted and painted motor metal, cleaned and lined gas tank, fuel lines, and everything else to revamp the motor.

Now I need to finish up the front floor pan, so I CAN drive this thing around town, and break in back in properly. There's adventures to be had, even small ones just out of town.

PS For what my opinion is worth (my girlfriend would tell you I think a million bucks) I use Bus Depot almost every time. I'm able to contact them, I receive timely emails, shipping is hassle free (Usually PA to AR in a couple of days), and I believe to get good quality items. I've used Cip1 with success, as well as numerous vendors off of th classifieds. Communication is key, if folks want your business, they'llgive you business for your money and time.
Sam

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 58

Jump to: