Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Disc Brakes - CSP and Airkewld compared
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airkewld wrote:
Bob, is there a reason you are using the Eyeroll emoticon in all your posts towards me? It is in a majority of them.

Umm, Bob uses the eyeroll emoticon in pretty much every post he writes.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3kg wrote:
Airkewld wrote:
Bob, is there a reason you are using the Eyeroll emoticon in all your posts towards me? It is in a majority of them.

Umm, Bob uses the eyeroll emoticon in pretty much every post he writes.

...and IF he so chooses maybe a Twisted Evil or Shocked...
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn Popcorn

Ah, here's the old Samba that we all know and love....

This place was getting a little too warm/fuzzy for a while, there, IMHO.

Popcorn Popcorn

What’s That Noise?!?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airkewld wrote:
I don't look back at this thread and ponder what I should of could of done. I did exactly what I would do with with any client and I would do it again.

The many happy clients whom have same/similar kits have pm'd me applauding my efforts to resolve the issues with this client. I had hoped to help him and in return have a fair comparison between the two.

Now that the original post has been edited, I will leave and let the thread even itself out.

Our conditions on a 2 year old system, that almost no one would even think about offering.

Quote:
Thanks for the email Josh.

I will offer a full refund of the parts returned to me, as just an installed kit with out cosmetic issues that another client can use and install. I will grant that refund if the thread is edited of the condescending remarks in it's description. If that means that our conversation back and forth is removed due to comparison reasons only, that is fine.

Pictures of each part prior to sending it back, sent to this email address, insuring the package and packing it nicely will be fine.

Once the product is received, we will inspect to make sure it is exactly as you shown in the pictures and we will refund the paypal account.

Flip side of things.

If you want to do a brake test, with both products, how they perform, what you liked, what you didn't like and give us an honest review of the performance, of both ours and CSP, I will pay you $450 and you can keep the brakes to sell or do what you want. Add that information to the thread to allow others to read and get a feel of your opinion. If you want to go this route, I would like to send the proper bolts we use, along with sending you a current install article to verify that your installation meets our views for proper comparison.

Josh, our goal is to always build upon the relationships we are blessed to have with our clients. I chose to go that route to always think of our clients first. I hope that either of these options allows us to move forward, cordially and fair to each one of us.

Let me know

Enjoy your evening all, unsubscribed.

Rolling Eyes <-- I tried to make that giant. I guess you cant...

On the bold text above - YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME

What a joke. I hope this makes it to your feedback.

Thanks for keeping this here Josh, it would have been really easy to delete this whole thread, and get your $1K back
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

Rolling Eyes <-- I tried to make that giant. I guess you cant...

On the bold text above - YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME

What a joke. I hope this makes it to your feedback.

Thanks for keeping this here Josh, it would have been really easy to delete this whole thread, and get your $1K back

It was never about the money and I didn't expect follow through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Bob's earlier question was answered, but on the Airkewld brake hub the stud pattern can be changed by undoing those 5 inner Allen bolts on the hub and installing a different stud pattern ring, purchased from Airkewld separately. Nice feature, if the price and build quality is right.

CSP and I have traded emails and they are going to improve their packing materials used for shipping. They are also going to add a few more details in their sales blurbs regarding requirements and prerequisites, so a potential buyer doesn't necessarily have to wade through the finer details in the installation manual.

CSP also told me that for my application--'64 Type 3--that a 19mm disc brake capable master cylinder made for the Type 3 was absolutely a minimum requirement. I will still have drums at the rear, so the essentially new 19mm ATE dual circuit master cylinder I have in there will work great. I suspect that it will work fine for a 4 disk system, but if I ever do that, will spend an extra $200.00 to upgrade to their 20.6mm master cylinder at the same time.

The last question regards the availability or cross reference to readily available wheel seals and I should have an official answer by Friday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:
I don't know if Bob's earlier question was answered, but on the Airkewld brake hub the stud pattern can be changed by undoing those 5 inner Allen bolts on the hub and installing a different stud pattern ring, purchased from Airkewld separately. Nice feature, if the price and build quality is right.

CSP and I have traded emails and they are going to improve their packing materials used for shipping. They are also going to add a few more details in their sales blurbs regarding requirements and prerequisites, so a potential buyer doesn't necessarily have to wade through the finer details in the installation manual.

CSP also told me that for my application--'64 Type 3--that a 19mm disc brake capable master cylinder made for the Type 3 was absolutely a minimum requirement. I will still have drums at the rear, so the essentially new 19mm ATE dual circuit master cylinder I have in there will work great. I suspect that it will work fine for a 4 disk system, but if I ever do that, will spend an extra $200.00 to upgrade to their 20.6mm master cylinder at the same time.

The last question regards the availability or cross reference to readily available wheel seals and I should have an official answer by Friday.

Good call on the MC comment.

I would have thought that converting to disc brakes alone would warrant the need for a dual master cylinder. I'll add that to the first post.
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSP emailed back this morning. The CSP kit referred to in this post uses a '66-'67 Type 1 Beetle 27mm wheel bearings and inner wheel seal.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:
CSP emailed back this morning. The CSP kit referred to in this post uses a '66-'67 Type 1 Beetle 27mm wheel bearings and inner wheel seal.

Wheel Seal:
Should be PN# 131 405 641 A
*Fits Beetle/Ghia 1966 - mid 1968

Wheel Bearing:
Should be 311 405 625
*Fits Beetle/Ghia 1966 - mid 1968
* Type 3 1962 - 3/68

I'll confirm the exact end dates via the Parts book.

Thanks for the follow up, Greg! Very Happy
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:

So I was recommended to use the std 19mm dual circuit master cylinder for my setup and got onto this discussion with the manufacturer about the larger bore possibly being better and I was told that its important to get the right size, not the biggest size, so definitely give the 19mm a try and see how much pedal travel is required before going larger. You might find a larger MC would require more pressure on the pedal than a smaller one. I think it's the relationship between surface area and pressure. Maybe a 4 caliper setup will require less pressure and more volume so that might be a reason to step up the size.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes

Way back when, I was looking into this for my Porsche. Everybody said no, don't go larger - larger is not better in this case Very Happy

The 66-67 911 has a 19mm master if I recall correctly. Discs front and rear. That car had zero problems stopping. Makes sense if you think about it. Less fluid more pressure.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:

Actually Airkewld kind of answered my question with one of his advertising statements"at the top of page 2 when he got into the conversation.

If you stop and think about it a minute, the 66 on t-3 uses 2 42mm pistons in their calipers, while the CSP uses 1 40 something diameter piston in it. This means you shouldn't really have a problem with the 19mm master cylinder. I had Jim rebuild one for me for my 64 T-34, and never had an issue with the brakes. They worked great, even with the rabbit calipers doing the stopping up front. I don't know what size the pistons are in the rabbit caliper, but I believe it only uses 1 piston as well.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An additional discovery with the Airkewld kit.

The fasteners used on the caliper bracket that hold it to the spindle are NOT metric. From what I can tell, they're 10-24 x 2.25" and use a 7/32" hex. For some reason, when I was installing the kit on the spindles, I didn't pay attention to the fact that I had to buy a hex socket for these fasteners to finish the installation.

Red arrows indicate the hardware in question (same on both spindles):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the original bolts uses a fine thread M10 x 1.0 because the spindle had thread in that one hole. That was a tough bolt (technically a set screw) to find. Took me days of scouring the Internet to find one that was longer than stock with the right thread pitch and high tensile.

I wish there was a Y2k bug for imperial bolts and nuts. We should have started the new millennium without imperial. We'd be in our 15th year of metric bliss by now. Toolboxes would be half the weight or twice as good. Think about it, one standard is better for everyone.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all originally M10x1.0 bolts which is why they're such a pain in the ass to find. I don't think I'm going to find the flat head socket cap screw with that thread pitch - it's too rare on an M10 bolt.

I wish the US had converted to metric back in the 70's. Most cars are now metric anyway because of outsourced parts!

The 'up side' is that I can go back to getting those bushings I bought from you into my beam! Laughing
Woody419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner should of never replied in this thread....lol. A pm would of been less destructive to his company. That being said "thanks for taking the time, and money to supply us ALL this information !

Woody
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Front Disc Brakes - CSP and Airkewld compared Reply with quote

I've driven the car with the CSP brake kit several times at this point - they work very well - much better response than the modified Type 1 Beetle brakes that I removed.

I replaced almost all of the hard brake lines and all of the soft lines, used a dual master cylinder with the 67 only reservoir. Everything is working great!

Overall, I'm very happy with the CSP kit and I'm now waiting on the second set to arrive from Germany for my 65 N model.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:

CSP and I have traded emails and they are going to improve their packing materials used for shipping.

I received the second CSP brake kit recently - I did notice a few changes from the first kit.

What was once several blister packs of parts is now one - the caliper brackets escaped the package but were contained in the box (not damaged)

Wheel bearings are not "Made in China" - all metal cage, better construction - packed in a zip bag

They're using different wheel seals now (this is how it was packed)

Still a great brake kit and easy to assemble without modifications.
Woody419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Disc Brakes - CSP and Airkewld compared Reply with quote

It's funny how time changes opinions...lol. He's been fantastic with me and I look forward to helping him grow... Hopefully, I can have Pete build my Pro Bilt Beam before Winter.
He can also help with everything else ..fuel lines, rear suspension, and eventually The Brake Kit.
After rereading the thread...many of you have no business with a wrench..lol....others are Master Mechanics and understand the simple asembly of a nut and bolt brake kit.
Maybe I'm just not as picky as others ?
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Disc Brakes - CSP and Airkewld compared Reply with quote

Woody419 wrote:
It's funny how time changes opinions...lol. He's been fantastic with me and I look forward to helping him grow... Hopefully, I can have Pete build my Pro Bilt Beam before Winter.
He can also help with everything else ..fuel lines, rear suspension, and eventually The Brake Kit.
After rereading the thread...many of you have no business with a wrench..lol....others are Master Mechanics and understand the simple asembly of a nut and bolt brake kit.
Maybe I'm just not as picky as others ?

Good for you. Post that opinion up in his feedback, not this thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: