Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
akomjathy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I am planning to build a vintage speed engine from my '64 engine case. I would like to keep my stock 64 mm crankshaft. I would like to put an Engle W110 camshaft. Then install the AA performance big bore kit, using the square boss stock 1200 cylinder heads. The rocker arms will be from a stock 1600 engine. I am going to build a double carb system with two pieces of NOS 28 PCI carbs. Also I am planning to put a bigger oil pump and a thin line oil sump. Also I will put a NOS Fram oil filter.
Do you think if the Engle W110 camshaft will be good for this engine?? I have no bearings for the camshaft, but my engine case is a NOS one.

Thanks for your help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also building a 1385, plan on Using can bearings. Good luck w yours
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bug_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engle 110 is to much for those small valves. I have built a 1385 with Engle 100 cam and dual 28 pci carbs with 9.1 compression. Beetle is really peppy and has improved torque.
I suggest after spending countless hours on making intakes and linkages, replace your heads with 1300 single port as these will increase valve size slightly and give you heaps of options when it comes to carbs and intakes.
akomjathy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, do you think if it would be better to leave the stock camshaft inside the case??
I am not going to use the single port 1300 heads, because I already bought the NOS pair of "Riechert" intake manifolds and I have the NOS 28 PCI carbs as well....so I will keep my stock 1200 heads. But, the sizes of the valves are the same as in the 1300 single port heads.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as you put 1300 heads on, it looks like a 1500, not a 40hp. Crying or Very sad
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running my 1385 (40hp with big bore kit) with a W100 and 1.1 rockers on square boss heads and dual Stromberg carbs. Nice combination.
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
akomjathy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cam what I would like to use! I am planning to buy a W100 and sell my W110. Thanks for the info!!
bugmandave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a custom grind on your stock cam from webcamshafts and also have your stock original lifters reground and they are very reasonably priced too. I had a little lift added to mine but stock duration. They have a grind number for it but i can't remember it. They will help you out.
'63 Karmann Cabriolet L54 Poppy Red
1960vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
1385 big bore, 100 cam 1300 heads , 1.11 rockers, 34ICTs. Can you say, purrrrr
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1960vw wrote:
Does anyone here besides me think that this engine looks like it has nothing to do with 40 hp/vintage speed? Confused
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1385 with W100 cam, stock ratio rockers, ported square boss heads.

Link

64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
Jens-Ole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have you done with oil cooler on this setup?

1960vw wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Envious wrote:
1385 with W100 cam, stock ratio rockers, ported square boss heads.

Link

Thanks for posting this, I was wondering what that muffler sounded like.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
bug_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

akomjathy wrote:
So, do you think if it would be better to leave the stock camshaft inside the case??
I am not going to use the single port 1300 heads, because I already bought the NOS pair of "Riechert" intake manifolds and I have the NOS 28 PCI carbs as well....so I will keep my stock 1200 heads. But, the sizes of the valves are the same as in the 1300 single port heads.

You have saved half your time by having good nos 28pci and manifolds. My 1385 has 28pci running 23.5 Venturis but unfortunately my carbs are weeping fuel from the shaft and need re bushing. But it has been running really well.

I am located in Australia and the only problem I have had with 1385 is over heating in summer. temps here average 95-105 and on the highway for long trips @ constant 65mph my oil temp gets to 250. My beetle has a doghouse fan and shroud with oil cooler and I have added an external oil cooler with oil thermostat and now runs at 210-220. Around town no problems runs at 180.
bug_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my 1385
akomjathy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bug_65 wrote:

Here is my 1385

Thanks very much to show me your engine! I started to put my engine case together. I bought a new W100 Engle cam finally. Yes, I am lucky with the new 28 PCI carbs, but I still have to work a lot with them. They still have the choke, but on Riechert system, there was no choke at all. I have to change the venturis,too and also rejetting the carbs. The manifolds are nrand new, came from Germany from Riechert factory Smile

One question: what kind of engine case are you using? How did you put the newer type of oil cooler to the engine case??
bug_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my engine is a 40hp with cam bearings, I m not sure what year as this motor was originally a Formula Vee 1200 so rods, crank and flywheel have been balanced and lightened.

I m using a doghouse 36hp shroud with dog house cooler and wider fan. It was a kit, I had to enlarge holes for new oil cooler on the engine case from i think 6mm to 8mm. My case is also full flowed with oil filter and external 72plate oil cooler.

My 28pci carbys I have removed chokes and plugged holes. The engine takes a little longer to warm up but I could not be bothered running 2 cables to run chokes.

With your AA 83mm pistons you may have interference with the piston hitting the case. I had this same problem piston was hitting case webbing on 3rd and 2nd, all i did was removed small amount from areas in case.

Also I found with my case when the cam was at full lift there was not enough clearance and the cam was unable to turn. I fixed this by grinding down lifter bores. See link
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...rance+40hp
akomjathy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bug_65 wrote:
my engine is a 40hp with cam bearings, I m not sure what year as this motor was originally a Formula Vee 1200 so rods, crank and flywheel have been balanced and lightened.

I m using a doghouse 36hp shroud with dog house cooler and wider fan. It was a kit, I had to enlarge holes for new oil cooler on the engine case from i think 6mm to 8mm. My case is also full flowed with oil filter and external 72plate oil cooler.

My 28pci carbys I have removed chokes and plugged holes. The engine takes a little longer to warm up but I could not be bothered running 2 cables to run chokes.

With your AA 83mm pistons you may have interference with the piston hitting the case. I had this same problem piston was hitting case webbing on 3rd and 2nd, all i did was removed small amount from areas in case.

Also I found with my case when the cam was at full lift there was not enough clearance and the cam was unable to turn. I fixed this by grinding down lifter bores. See link
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...rance+40hp

Thanks very much for the info and the forum....
I think you have a newer engine case than mine. Mine is a '64 model. Before, I split the case I put the 3rd piston and cylinder to its place to see, if it hits the case or not. It seems, there was no problem with it!! I measured the place of the 2nd piston today. I am sure that the piston will be far from the engine case.
This engine what I am going to build is a waterpump industrial engine with very low mile. Everything seems brand new inside. Today, I tried the new W100 cam into the case and also the HD oil pump. Seems very nice, can turn it around easily. My engine case has no camshaft bearings. But, seems like a new one, so I will leave it as is.
I also measured the distance between the crankcase joining face and the upper edge of the cam follower guides. The smallest distance is 31 mm all others are more than 31 mm. So, I hope they will work good! I will also leave the original cam followers of this engine case, because they are almost brand new. I attached a pic from my crankshaft, which is ready to install. And one pic with the new camshaft and HD oil pump.
I will use a FRAM oil filter system (like in the 356 Porsche) and will put an extra oil sump. Will use the stock oil cooler. I have never had problems before this old system, so let me see what is going to be happen Smile

Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do not reuse your old cam followers
bug_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your engine is very clean.
Cam followers should only be reused when using the same cam and if used d will cause uneven wear on your cam or failure of the followers. I suggest you replace cam followers with the suggested ones Engle specify.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: