Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fixing up a 67 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLAU GEIST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing up a 67 Beetle Reply with quote

New front end installed with drop spindles, here is the car as it sits right now, very close to being a driver now...Sorry I dont have a shot before to compare the front end height.
I will eventually be throwing BRMs and large back / small front tires on there and hopefully it will look pretty good!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BLAU GEIST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing up a 67 Beetle Reply with quote

I have the car back, it is not quite finished but a lot of work has been done.
As you can see the engine has been refreshed nicely. Need to get a different dizzy / carb setup and a new exhaust and a bunch of other stuff but I took her for her maiden voyage yesterday and it is a good feeling!

BLAU GEIST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing up a 67 Beetle Reply with quote

Sporting a 67 correct deck lid, looking good!

Next up is to replace these fenders with matching 67 german ones that I just got, should look awesome!

Also putting on a set of running boards that I have.

Until next time
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing up a 67 Beetle Reply with quote

Looks a lot better, but you need all the engine tin in place. Missing the lower rear cylinder tin #8 on the diagram and the RH version not shown.

BLAU GEIST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing up a 67 Beetle Reply with quote

She is home, street legal, and a blast to drive.
Finally over a year after bringing the 67 home I am actually driving it...Still more work to do but I can roll and restore!
I originally wanted to get some BRMs but I am really liking the stock look, all it needed was some drop spindles....it is going to be a good summer!
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing up a 67 Beetle Reply with quote

You've done a good job! Enjoy!

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAU GEIST wrote:
..I have read a lot of build threads where the updates stop and the projects get sold off for various reasons, and I do not want this project to end up like that! Thanks everyone

Great to see that you succeeded : Enjoy your new toy Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
BLAU GEIST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing up a 67 Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, it was a lot of $$ a lot of waiting and dreaming and a lot of help from a really great mechanic and of course the samba but I made it! More to come but I wanted to sort of cap off this "back from the dead" story.
BLAU GEIST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing up a 67 Beetle Reply with quote

I have really been enjoying the 67 over the last few weeks and have taken steps to improve it even further!
My mechanic suggested pairing a 34 pict3 carb / 034svda distributor with the AE1600 that is in the car for better performance. I also got a Bosch blue coil.
I got a rebuilt solex from Volksbits that looks awesome and the rest of the stuff is coming in the mail today...I will post pics of the install!
BLAU GEIST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing up a 67 Beetle Reply with quote

OK Got my blue coil, my solex 34 pict 3 and my 034 svda installed!

Also put on new front fenders which I think is a big improvement.
Look at the before / after

Running boards on (vinyl shrank but slapped it on there anyway)

I am dealing with a slight idle jet issue but other than that running strong, hope to be cruising soon.
Yes I realize the distributor is off angle, this was just for the picture.

BLAU GEIST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing up a 67 Beetle Reply with quote

After a lot of guesswork, I realized that some frayed wire to the cutoff valve was to blame for the car not idling! I fixed the wire and have been cruising all day, going on the highway, running errands, etc etc.
I just wanted to make this post to sort of "cap off" this phase of the car, from purchase to repair to finally driving it as normal.
John Allmond from JOHNS AIR COOLED in Winchendon Mass. was a huge help (rebuilt front end, all new brakes, engine refresh and tin, new 67 decklid, endless advice and patience when I pick his brain)
I highly recommend his shop and expertise, just like everyone else does.

So here we are, about 14 months after dragging it home on a uhaul trailer to cruising the streets with an upgraded engine and brakes and drop spindles and all that good stuff. VW is life.
Over and out
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing up a 67 Beetle Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause Nice work. Fun to drive huh?
Ok now you need to get ready for the daily "I had an old VW, um I can't remember what year but I love that car" stories everyday. I know I get them everyday. Enjoy the ride. You know, that car has a strange resemblance to my 67, Huh! Who'd of thunk.
Have a great weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: